Skip navigation

2497 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Nov 19, 2005 11:34 AM by smilyus RSS
Rukisses2003 Amateur 10 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 14, 2005 4:06 PM

No Diets!

I don't diet. I think the word is evil! I'm good 90% of the time but I give myself that 10% to goof every now and then. I do try to eat healthy. I eat only lean meats, fish, grilled chicken, etc. I make sure I get plenty of fresh fruits and veggies. I don't drink soda's and I watch my intake. My problem is my food is getting dull. I'm looking for some healthy new ideas for food. I run a design studio plus I have two kids. This doesn't leave me much time for cooking. I normally prep my meals the day before. I'm looking for meals that are fast and that will give me energy. Anyone have any ideas?

• Angela75 Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Sep 23, 2005 8:39 AM (in response to Rukisses2003)
    Re: No Diets!

Did you try the easiest thing of all? For me it's Spaghetti or other noodles with tomato and ground beef sauce! It's realy good for making a big pot of it and then freeze it away! You can than easily pep it up with fresh vegie's like red bell pepper, squash, mushrooms, beans etc. and make a salad with it! That's fast and healthy!

Or chinese style cooking! Fresh vegie's in a pan and season it with curry and soy sauce.

Maybe that helped you a little bit!

• triruth Pro 174 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Sep 26, 2005 10:07 AM (in response to Rukisses2003)

When I find myself in a rut, culinarily speaking, I try some grilled sandwiches to change things up. The beauty of grilling is clean up is almost none, cook time is low, and the marinade does most of the work for you. For example: I'll throw a portabella mushroom cap in a ziplock bag with some balsamic vinegar, wortceshire (sp) and fresh herbs the night before and place in the fridge. To prepare, thinly slice some onion ,tomato (sundried is wonderful as well as fresh) and bell pepper (red is sweetest), throw my bun on the grill, rub the mushroom with a little olive oil and grill very lightly both sides. While the mushroom grills (2-3 min) I dress my bun with a little cream cheese (tapanade + cream cheese is great) and the veggies, I make a bed of alfalfa on the bottom bun and place the mushroom on it, assemble and eat. There are a million different ways to make a grilled sandwich, this just illustrates the basic concept. Total time for this is under 15 min. If you use meat in place of the portabella, start grilling the meat first and prep while it cooks and you should still be able to do it in 15 min.

Baked casseroles are great as well because they can be made in advance and reheated as needed, and the possibilities are endless.

Fish is super fast to cook, and often only needs some roasted veggies and a roll or cornbread to accompany. Try cutting carrots into slices on a bias, broccoli and cauliflower into florets, and some peppers into medium rings and place into a very hot, dry cast iron skillet. As carmelization begins to occur, place a lid over for a few min until tender crisp. The flavors that pan roasting brings out are suprising.

• Joyjoy4all Expert 46 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. Oct 14, 2005 4:08 PM (in response to Rukisses2003)

go to http://whfoods.com/.

it's a great whole foods source and has many recipes also.

-joy

http://www.joyspersonaltraining.com

• triruth Pro 174 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    4. Oct 3, 2005 1:30 PM (in response to Rukisses2003)

Another fun meal is a wrap. You can do basically anything with a wrap. Just make sure you have some "glue" (mayo, dressing, melted cheese, cream cheese, pesto, etc.) in it to hold everything together. They're a great way to use up that leftover breast of chicken that's in the fridge even though you know the kids won't touch it.

• fleetmack Rookie 4 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    5. Oct 24, 2005 12:07 PM (in response to Rukisses2003)

throw 6 or so chicken breasts in a crock pot with whatever it is you want for taste.

you can put the chicken in wiht about 3 cut up peppers and a cup of water

you can put the chicken in with a can of cream of chicken (or mushroom, or celery) soup and some potatoes

you can put the chcicken in with squash and zuccini.

put it in the crock pot before you go to work - come home, eat!  or if you're single, you can just eat it for several days -- and it's healthy

• Pathen Amateur 26 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    6. Oct 29, 2005 11:56 AM (in response to Rukisses2003)

Try satays!

All you have to do is get anything you want, including meats, veggies, fruit (?, I guess you could) and mix them all in a big frying pan for 15 minutes top (depending on what you're using)  The key to satays are what spices you use, but you can find a whole bunch of variations on tons of website.  Then you can just freeze them and eat them for a long time.  You can do anything with satays, so you don't have to worry about eating the same thing over and over again!

Have fun!

• smilyus Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    7. Nov 19, 2005 11:34 AM (in response to Rukisses2003)

Me and my crockpot are best friends..lol. It isn't that hard to make some quick meals that will be ready when you get home and all sorts of healthy ingridents can be added.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...