Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

646 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Dec 27, 2007 4:25 AM by zsmith
KSC083 Rookie 62 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 17, 2007 12:08 PM

If I had to pick one gadget...

What would it be?  HRM or GPS?  I run different routes regularly since I'm deployed to Iraq with a job that has me moving around often.  Since I don't know the distances I'm running, I run for time which seems to do me well, however, now that I'm getting more scientific with my training I feel like I need to either monitor my HR or my speed over those distances and not just run "fast" or "easy."  I'm also on a bit of a budget, and would like to spend less than 150 bucks.  So, I'm beginning to think a watch type HRM is what's right for me since it plays to my running for time and my budget ideas.  Are the watch type HRMs accurate enough to trust?  Which brand should I consider?
   Thanks a lot.

• prariepathrunner Rookie 50 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Aug 17, 2007 12:42 PM (in response to KSC083)
    Re: If I had to pick one gadget...

First,

THANK YOU FOR WHAT YOU DO! We are proud of you.

The most popular brand of HRM is probably POLAR. However, Gamin just introduced a new watch that you can pair up with either or HR strap, foot pod for distance or cadence monitor for the bike, or all three. The price seems pretty good too. About $160 for watch and HR monitor strap. If you want to connect to a PC wirelessly that is another $60.

Check out the link: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=142&pID=10527[/URL" target="_blank">

I have never used POLAR products so I am sure someone will help you out with that.

• dg12002 Expert 614 posts since
    Aug 26, 2003
    2. Aug 17, 2007 1:03 PM (in response to KSC083)

The foot pod for the Garmin measures your distance and cadence indoors on a treadmill. The GPS figures your speed, distance, elevation etc..

• reefer084 Rookie 67 posts since
    Jan 19, 2005
    3. Aug 17, 2007 1:51 PM (in response to KSC083)

A budget alternative is a Timex Ironman HRM.  Perhaps not as good as Polars, but accurate and about $50 online (jomashop.com).

• BrettBH Rookie 40 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. Aug 17, 2007 1:53 PM (in response to KSC083)

I use the Timex Ironman Time and Distance system. It will only tell you how far and fast, not where to go. $70 at campmor.com. The other thing I like is that it's a watch I can use ALL the time, swimming and biking as well. Can't use the GPS on the swim, but when I'm doing a tri brick I'll have the GPS pod activated and sitting on my bike. I use the arm strap for the GPS pod and it has worked great. Eventually, when I'm wealthy I will upgrade, but for now, this fits the budget.

• xanthia Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 20, 2007
    5. Aug 17, 2007 3:36 PM (in response to KSC083)

I bought a garmin 305. I was going to spend $150 on just the hrm (I was going to replace my old polar with the f11), so the extra $50 for a gps was a deal. I LOVE this thing to death, it is so great. I've found it to be pretty accurate, and you can sync it up to a few websites or use the software included (for both mac and pc, finally).

• dpar Rookie 85 posts since
    Dec 11, 2005
    6. Aug 17, 2007 8:48 PM (in response to KSC083)

KSC,

Get the Garmin 305. You will be glad you put in the extra cash to get it. AAFES should have them for a great price. Wait until you see one of those $50 off deals on their site and order.

I bought mine when it was still over $250 but I never run without it now.

----

My Log[/URL" target="_blank">

My Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

• zsmith Amateur 62 posts since
    Jan 25, 2006
    7. Dec 27, 2007 4:25 AM (in response to KSC083)

I've had the Garmin 205 and used it regularly for the past year and a half until it broke just a week ago.  I highly recommend the x05 series if you would like to know distance.  After my 205 broke, I started looking at replacement options.  Polar and Sunnto offer GPS pods (is Polar's out yet?) and pedometers, but I decided I liked having a large watch rather than a watch plus a pod.

If you can deal with rebates right now, it would be possible to get a Garmin 305 for right around $150. Amazon is currently selling the 305 for $217. Then Powerbar is offering a $50 rebate if you sign up for their newsletter. Definitely worth considering...

Amazon[/URL" target="_blank">
    http://www.powerbar.com/Newsletter/and the /URL0 rebate[/URL" target="_blank">

[http://This message has been edited by zsmith (edited Aug-17-2007).|http://This message has been edited by zsmith (edited Aug-17-2007).]

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...