Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1059 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Nov 13, 2007 9:21 AM by JoeInTX
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 8, 2007 7:32 AM

Underwear

Any guys got some suggestions on some underwear meant for running?  I've got ::cough:: muscular ::cough:: legs.

Thanks!

- Leo

• BrettBH Rookie 40 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Dec 27, 2007 5:15 AM (in response to Guest )
    Re: Underwear

Try C9 compression shorts from Target. Wear without anything underneath. I'm 210 lbs and 5' 10" and my legs are pretty big and I was having alot of chafeing issues but these along with some Bodyglide and I'm good to go. I pull on a pair of loose fitting gym shorts over the top for a little modesty.

They also :cough: hold the package :cough:

[http://This message has been edited by BrettBH (edited Nov-08-2007).|http://This message has been edited by BrettBH (edited Nov-08-2007).]

• TLofton Rookie 29 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. Nov 9, 2007 8:17 PM (in response to Guest )

Many times on compression shorts and/or running briefs the seams are constructed such that the raised or thickest part is on the (supposed) inside, against your skin.  I've run into much chaffe and other angst with this until I realized that I just needed to wear them inside out, with those seams facing outward.  I've enjoyed wearing these items much more since doing so.  Just some added thoughts...

Tim

• dynamite238 Rookie 58 posts since
    Oct 2, 2007
    5. Nov 10, 2007 12:58 PM (in response to Guest )

I found some Nike running shorts with compression liner sewn in.  The seams are on top of the liner, not against the skin.

I typically go commando with shorts liners to hold things in place. The seams would still rub painfully in places during long runs. Body glide in those regions helped most of the time.

These shorts just don't rub ever!  They were on summer clearance so I got them for less than $15.00.  They have been THE most comfortable alternative I have found and NO RUBBING.

• willamona Rookie 387 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    6. Nov 11, 2007 3:01 PM (in response to Guest )
  • trifecta082 Rookie 57 posts since
    Nov 6, 2006
    7. Nov 11, 2007 3:18 PM (in response to Guest )

quote:

Originally posted by tloft:

Many times on compression shorts and/or running briefs the seams are constructed such that the raised or thickest part is on the (supposed) inside, against your skin. I've run into much chaffe and other angst with this until I realized that I just needed to wear them inside out, with those seams facing outward. I've enjoyed wearing these items much more since doing so. Just some added thoughts...

Tim

That's a good point. I've noticed that often the difference between the expensive name brand athletic wear and the cheap store brand stuff is the quality of the finish on the seams. The expensive stuff goes to the trouble to sew inner seams flat, not just the outer seams. So buy the cheap stuff and wear it inside out.

• ORBrewDad Rookie 104 posts since
    Apr 17, 2006
    8. Nov 11, 2007 6:07 PM (in response to Guest )

quote:

Originally posted by willamona:

Peeps still wear underwear? Wow.

Only with tights.  I tried going commando in tights once....ONCE.  Now I wear the Under Armour shorts linked to above and never have a problem.  The best summer shorts I've found are the RaceReady shorts.  Only rarely have I had any chaffing during a long run wearing these and I've never had a problem in 3 marathons.  I don't bother with Body Glide.

• TomThumbs Rookie 32 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    9. Nov 11, 2007 7:50 PM (in response to Guest )

quote:

Originally posted by willamona:

Peeps still wear underwear? Wow.

Brooks Runderwear, or similar briefs by Duofold, always.

http://tinyurl.com/ytfzag[/URL" target="_blank">

Just too much flip-floppin with liner only.

• cgerber Pro 195 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    10. Nov 11, 2007 10:50 PM (in response to Guest )

I've had good luck w/ the Underarmour compression shorts on runs up to 50 miles.  They also seem to be holding up quite well.

• JoeInTX Legend 1,767 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    11. Nov 13, 2007 9:21 AM (in response to Guest )

Hey Willa!   Guess some people never learn huh?  lol

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...