Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3428 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Feb 2, 2010 1:02 AM by slowrunningpete RSS
pjbones Rookie 14 posts since
Dec 28, 2006
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 17, 2007 11:52 AM

Running around the river in this ice and snow

I've been running on the treadmill since the snow/sleet on Wednesday - has anyone been down to the Charles river to run since the storm?  If so, how is it?  I'm set to do a very long run tomorrow but won't do it there if the conditions are horrible. 

That said - does anyone have any suggestions/tips for running on this stuff? At Marathon Sports one time I saw what looked like spikes/cleats that you can attach to your sneaker for winter weather. Has anyone tried these?

Any insight would be very much appreciated!!  Thanks to you all!

• pmcneb Community Moderator 582 posts since
    Jan 10, 2006
    1. Feb 17, 2007 1:09 PM (in response to pjbones)
    Re: Running around the river in this ice and snow

Are you speaknig of yak traks?

i have not ever worn them but they are getting excellent reviews on the boomers and beyond board.

----

Patty

• Maloyo Amateur 29 posts since
    May 19, 2002
    2. Feb 17, 2007 1:36 PM (in response to pjbones)

For icy and/or mixed conditions (hard packed snow, cleared ground, icy, & slush) I wear Get-A-Grips Ice Joggers.  I think Yak Trax are great for snow, but they don't work well on ice or when the pavement is clear.  You can run on asphalt or concrete in Ice Joggers; it's annoying, but you don't really slow down and you have them when you hit an icy spot.

I buy them from QVC, but if you Google the term, lots of places sell these. BTW, I use these on my everyday shoes/boots, too.

Mary

• trifecta082 Rookie 57 posts since
    Nov 6, 2006
    3. Feb 18, 2007 5:10 PM (in response to pjbones)

Screw Shoes[/URL" target="_blank">

I ran 9 miles on the Charles on Thursday and 14 on Saturday with screw shoes and had no problems slipping - none, nada, zilch. The ground is rough though, with frozen footprints and tire tracks leaving holes and ruts so it's slow going, hard work, and tough on the ankles. Between Eliot Bridge and N. Beacon St. I had to run mostly in the road because the path was plowed so badly that it was impassable. The loop from the Science Museum to Eliot Bridge is much better.

• NH_Runner Amateur 17 posts since
    Dec 6, 2007
    4. Dec 1, 2009 2:00 PM (in response to pjbones)

I had used the screw shoe option (see post by trifecta082) for several previous seasons (usually have to deal with ice 4+months months per year in NH) and agree that they are way better than the Yak Trax and Stabilicers.  However, last year I discovered a much better option called Icespike ( http://www.icespike.net/ ).  Similar concept as the screw shoes but one set lasted the whole winter (30-40 miles/wk, clydesdale runner).  With the screw shoes (sheet metal screws), I was changing them weekly.  Great traction, comfortable, super light, long lasting (and less expensive than Yak's or Stabilicers).

• slowrunningpete Amateur 18 posts since
    Oct 7, 2008
    5. Feb 2, 2010 1:02 AM (in response to NH_Runner)

I agree, I also use the icespikes and they work great!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...