Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

15927 Views 49 Replies Latest reply: Nov 1, 2010 12:02 PM by AGC525 RSS 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
pcsronbo006 Legend 1,323 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 16, 2007 2:01 PM

Do you even CARE about being fast?

I do, although it's all relative. I'd love to do an 8 minute mile. However, @ 1/2 Marathon distance I'm 12-14 so that's a long way off.

Why? Cuz I wanna take hardware in sprints. 8min mile and it's mine!

But what about you? I've been more and more people, especially big people, who just love being active and really don't give a poo. They all seem to prefer going long instead (as the general rule).

What about you?

----

Yup That's me[/URL" target="_blank">

• GreenEggsAndHam Expert 312 posts since
    Jun 4, 2006
    1. Mar 16, 2007 3:10 PM (in response to pcsronbo006)
    Re: Do you even CARE about being fast?

I prefer going long since speed tends to = injury with me... 50 mpw, yeah I'm fine... cut down to 35 and do one day track session, suddenly I have shin splints! 

But I do care about being fast and I really want to get fast.  I'm slow right now.  Can currently run around 10:30 mpm in a half... I really want to break 2 hours in 2007.  Long way to go!

• BillyVLT Amateur 149 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Mar 16, 2007 4:00 PM (in response to pcsronbo006)

Part of what I like about running is how simple it is.  And yet, there is so much you can work on, so many different skills you can acquire.

What I really want is to be a "better" runner, better by my own, rather flexible and changing standard. I want to be faster, have more endurance, better on the hills, &c, &c, &c.

That, and I think it's fun to see an average weekly pace that's better than what I did before. It's fun to just go as fast as I can. It's fun when as fast as I can lasts a little longer than the last time I went all out, too.

Trying to be faster helps keep it fresh for me. When that starts wearing thin, I work on something else for a while.

That, and I really want to get back to 8 min/mi. I was able to do that as a freshman in high school. I'd love to get back to that, maybe even edge it a little. !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!

Cheers,
    Billy

• pmcneb Community Moderator 582 posts since
    Jan 10, 2006
    3. Mar 16, 2007 4:01 PM (in response to pcsronbo006)

Nope. I could care less about going fast. I am just happy to be going at all.

My best half time is 2:18. If the next one is faster, it will be by accident, not becasue i trained to be faster.

When not training for the half, I am perfectly happy with four 5 milers a week.

----

Patty

• RCL043 Pro 180 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. Mar 16, 2007 6:14 PM (in response to pcsronbo006)

I still clock and record times for most of my training runs to see where I am, and set goals for my races. However, my standards keep getting lower as I get older.

• SMP Legend 1,297 posts since
    Sep 29, 2007
    5. Mar 16, 2007 7:39 PM (in response to pcsronbo006)

I'd love to do a 10K in less than 40 min again. With a broken & dislocated ankle 9+ years ago. I'm glad I can run and I'll take what I can get. Some times I feel like packing it in, but then the shoes go on and one foot goes in front of the other and I'm off to the races. Today I care about being able to do the bestest I can.

----

Blessings, SteveP

My User Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

• RichardC040 Pro 218 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    6. Mar 17, 2007 6:45 AM (in response to pcsronbo006)

If I thought i could do it injury free... I would probably work on speed... I will just stick to being happy that I can run for now..

• Brian McN Amateur 240 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    7. Mar 17, 2007 8:01 AM (in response to pcsronbo006)

I think you are right in saying that it is relative.  For me it's trying to achieve my best even though my best falls way short of some others but it does not make my effort any less impressive.
    I love going to a race and seeing people from all walks of life trying to reach their personal goals all in the same event.
    The great thing about this sport is it takes years for someone to realize their potential. I think it would be boring if I could do my best within a few months. You build on it and beating your PR's whether it's at a certain age or weight is thrilling because of the hard work involved to get there. It's all the more sweeter when you beat your personal best because it took years of building to do it.
    I'm racing New Bedford Half Marathon tomorrow and will run what some think is fast and others will not.  I'm hoping it will be fast for me.

• RunMommaRun Expert 51 posts since
    Mar 24, 2005
    8. Mar 17, 2007 3:27 PM (in response to pcsronbo006)

I want to be faster than I am, but not a roadrunner by any means.  I'm never going to place 1st, 2nd, or 3rd in a major race, but have placed in local races (not that hard).  But running is all about me and I aim to improve my times.

----

Laura

Race Report for HM, 2.18.07.

http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/Forum8/HTML/009752.shtml

• Maloyo Amateur 29 posts since
    May 19, 2002
    9. Mar 18, 2007 10:29 AM (in response to pcsronbo006)

Yes and no.  I'd love to be fast, but fast isn't ever going to happen.  I would be more than happy to be able to run at an average pacesay 10, even 11 minute miles, occasionally a sub 10 in a short race.  However, I'm not even close, and frankly I don't have so much weight left to lose that it is going to make much difference.  I'm just slow and I have to accept that.<br /><br />I love to run, but I don't like having to do regular speedworkit makes me hate it.  Sometimes I like to run faster, and I do like to enter races.  On occasion, I like to do something like hill repeats, but when I try to do this on a regular basis, I start to dread it and to dread running. 

I guess if I thought that I had a snowball's chance in hell to get to something like an 8 min pace, it would be worth it, but I'm at a point where I'd have to bust my *** for a year, maybe more, to get to an 11 min pace. The way I've run lately, I wonder if I'll ever see 12 min again! LOL! That isn't worth it. I'm almost 50 and have run for almost eight years (all of them either obese or overweight). Even when I get to my goal weight (less than 20 lbs away) I don't really see that I'm going to improve that much.

BTW, I'm about the same pace as pcsronbo in the 1/2 marathon. Both 1/2s I've run this year were a lot slower than the ones I ran in 2006, but they were done while lugging extra post-fall marathon depression & holiday pounds. My next half on Sunday, 3/25 will give me a better idea of where I am compared to last year since I set my PR at this race last year and will weigh about the same going into it, maybe even a little less.

In my imagination though, I'm one of the swift!

Mary

• fatmantrying Amateur 42 posts since
    Oct 8, 2006
    10. Mar 19, 2007 6:52 AM (in response to pcsronbo006)

Not at all.

I will constantly try to improve MY times, but I'll never ever be fast and it doesn't bother me at all.

----

www.fatmantrying.com[/URL" target="_blank">

• clanrunner Rookie 32 posts since
    Oct 15, 2002
    11. Mar 19, 2007 7:12 AM (in response to pcsronbo006)

It's each to their own whether you want to run fast, run long or maybe just run. And everyone has their own reasons for their choice. And the definition of "fast" is also each to their own.

One thing that gets overlooked sometimes is that to run a 10k in a time you consider to be fast is more of an achievement than completing a slow marathon. My opinion anyway.

Me, I like to run fast, and I care about my times. There are races every now and then when for whatever reason I don't care about my time. I'm on the injury comeback at the moment and am of limited running capacity. Hence my race times aren't that important just now, they're more of a training run. I do enjoy the relaxation of not having that pressure to perform. But it's just not the same. I miss the buzz of giving it my all, knowing I'm in good form (by my standards!), feeling motivated to get out there and put in the hard yards and the satisfaction afterwards. I want to get back there, I love it.

That's what I like, some like to do otherwise. But we're all runners, and the more people running the better 

• kevinmc025 Amateur 31 posts since
    Feb 3, 2006
    12. Mar 19, 2007 7:36 AM (in response to pcsronbo006)

I guess I used to be fast. Running sub 20 5Ks and sub 40 10Ks were easy. I easily qualified for Boston, but then have had a string of injuries. Sometimes, I think I can get back to running "fast" but realistically that's not going to happen.

• SLOjim Pro 365 posts since
    Nov 17, 2007
    13. Mar 19, 2007 1:02 PM (in response to pcsronbo006)

I care..... but it's all relative.

At 57 I don't look back much at my times 25 years ago, but I still love to run hard. I use to run hard all the time but now I save my hard runs for my races and sporadic speed work. Although I'm an overweight older runner, I've been blessed with enough speed occasionally to place and sometimes win my A.G.

I don't think I'll ever lose the desire to get the adrenalin rush from a hard race or training run.

--

<br /><a href="http://www.freewebs.com/slojim/" target="_blank">Jim[/URL" target="_blank"><br /><br />--

Hang on just as long as you can<br />Get up whenever you fall<br />Shake it off, Boys, and go 'round again<br />Don't be hangin' your life on the wall .....Guy Clark

• jkv135 Amateur 143 posts since
    Oct 11, 2005
    14. Mar 19, 2007 2:39 PM (in response to pcsronbo006)

Hmm... do I want to be fast - He!! yes!  Is it happening anytime soon?  He!! no! - Do I care - nope! as long as I am making progress and getting better relative to my goals - its all good.  I am way to competetive to not want to go faster.

1 2 3 4 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...