Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

15934 Views 49 Replies Latest reply: Nov 1, 2010 12:02 PM by AGC525 RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • run2maureen3run Amateur 40 posts since
    Mar 10, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Mar 20, 2007 2:40 PM (in response to pcsronbo006)
    Re: Do you even CARE about being fast?

nope. not at all.

i run for me and for fitness and to achieve goals. i'm not looking to win any awards.

• Flab Gordon037 Rookie 69 posts since
    Nov 1, 2006
    16. Mar 21, 2007 8:28 PM (in response to pcsronbo006)

I honestly don't anymore.  I was at one time trying to get my 10K time down to less than 50 minutes, and I got close, but that was when I was at my prime in both age and weight.  I was in my mid twenties and weighed in at about 170 or so. 

Now, I'm a new dad, I'm almost 35, and my priorities have changed.  I run and exercise because it makes me feel good, and I don't have any specific goals anymore.  Heck, I'm even trying to go without weighing myself now!

• RunForFun001 Pro 626 posts since
    Jan 25, 2007
    17. Mar 22, 2007 1:37 PM (in response to pcsronbo006)

I run long - So I can run Fast (For me)

I get up every day before 5:00 am to make sure I can run without effecting my family

Becuase I run - I eat healthy - My family (Girls 6 and 2) have exceptional eating habbits (They don't know any better)

Just like in business - When you stop trying to improve yourself you are likely heading south fast.

Age is a key factor - Being the best 57 year old runner you can be and being the best 37 year older runner you can be are both noble acheivements, but we must realize that at 37 you have a greater potential for speed.

I can not do anything in life without the mind set of improvement - Just me.

• DashinDave53 Rookie 4 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    18. Mar 22, 2007 1:44 PM (in response to pcsronbo006)

I'm into "FITTER"; not "FASTER".  Re: Do you even CARE about being fast?^),   I figure just to be out there pounding pavement is good enough, although I did get a rush from setting a new personal best last week.

What we call the beginning is often the end. And to make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from.
    -T.S. Elliot

• Tamblyn Amateur 64 posts since
    May 25, 2004
    19. Mar 23, 2007 2:43 PM (in response to pcsronbo006)

Ya, I'd like to be faster and I figure loosing more weight is probably my best bet.  My dream would be to do a 45min 10 k.  I'm a long way from that now, but when I was running more I was chipping away at it.

• peachtree003 Rookie 61 posts since
    Jul 23, 2004
    20. Mar 23, 2007 8:23 PM (in response to pcsronbo006)

I love to run fast, but when I do repeated fast runs I get hurt.
      It is one of the main reasons I always wanted to lose weight.  The vanity/cultural idealism of it always bothered me on an elemental level (WTH is wrong with being sized differently, anyway?  Does it really make me unattractive to just...not be small?  Does it make me a bad person?  Etc, etc, etc) but I always really wanted to run fast and far, and not get hurt doing it.

• ZiRunnerGirl Rookie 37 posts since
    May 30, 2006
    21. Mar 28, 2007 2:49 AM (in response to pcsronbo006)

I try sooo hard to get faster, but can't seem to get faster than a 10 minute mile.  I tell friends that it doesn't matter if I'm fast or not, that just getting out there and finishing is enough...  but what I wouldn't give to be out there flying down the street..

----

:) Sherie

• Addygrl Rookie 134 posts since
    Nov 7, 2004
    22. Mar 29, 2007 7:21 PM (in response to pcsronbo006)

One of the reasons I keep going towards increasingly longer distances (currently have my sights set on a 50k) is because it seems like the longer you go, the less it matters on how long it takes you to get there. With my newfound love of trail running, I'm learning walking is okay, going slow is okay, just enjoying yourself is the best part. My last race was a 30k (~18 miles) and it took me 4 hours. I think it ended up at something around a 14 min/mile pace. And it was wonderful.

That said, I love getting 'fast' which right now is anything below a 10 min/mile. Today I did 6 miles at a 9:20 pace with the last mile at 8:38. Thats super speedy for me! Since I've only been running seriously for less than 2 years, I'm hoping that speed will come in time. But I'm in no hurry, I'm loving the journey I'm on !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!

Addy

• rugby1080 Pro 171 posts since
    Jul 27, 2006
    23. Mar 29, 2007 8:09 PM (in response to pcsronbo006)

Good Post.  Yes being fast is a goal of mine. However, having only run for 9 months now seriously I am content with running consistently until I get a year under my belt. I will start working on speed more when I have a solid mileage foundation to work off.

I have already became faster since I started with my average pace for a mile dropping from 13 or 14 to between 11 and 12. I can run a mile under 10 if I push myself.

I Love running.

Rugby

• mrinertia Pro 1,310 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    24. Apr 20, 2007 2:49 PM (in response to pcsronbo006)

Yes, I care a lot about being fast. When I started this bit I was bordering on morbidly obese. Now I'm overweight and still trending down. The first time I went for a run I slogged a half mile and walked home. Sometime when I started running more than 5 miles, it stopped being about fitness and started to be about defining myself and what I am capable of. My habits define me as a runner. The fact that I've done a few half marathons define me as a distance runner. Later this year I will be able to call myself a marathoner. I want desperately to define myself as "fast" and am making efforts to do so. What is fast for me has three specific criteria that some may define as slow, others as super fast. The short answer is yes, I care about being fast...for me.

----

• Currently Being Moderated
    25. Nov 14, 2007 10:26 AM (in response to pcsronbo006)

How do you define fast?  Isn't speed relative?  Flo Jo could kill anyone in the 100 meter race but was mediocre (for the average professional runner) in the 5k.  I doubt that anyone would call her slow, at least within 100 meters of her.  She would catch them, slap them three times and run back to the start position.

Dec 14, 2007
    26. Nov 15, 2007 9:00 AM (in response to pcsronbo006)

quote:

Originally posted by StrongLikeSteel:

How do you define fast? Isn't speed relative? Flo Jo could kill anyone in the 100 meter race but was mediocre (for the average professional runner) in the 5k. I doubt that anyone would call her slow, at least within 100 meters of her. She would catch them, slap them three times and run back to the start position.

My definition of fast has changed a number of times since I started this gig. There's fast as in fast, like winning a race type fast. Then there's relatively fast, like BQ or age group award or top 10% type fast. Then there's fast for an individual which differs greatly from person to person.

I used to think that a 24:00 5k was fast. My last 5k was 24:48, an 8:00 pace. I'm pretty sure on my next one I'll break the 24:00 mark and yet I don't consider myself fast. Sub 20:00 is fast. If I could break 20:00, would I say I'm fast? Possibly, but not likely. For me, fast is probably always gonna be just a bit faster than I'm able to run.

• Currently Being Moderated
    27. Nov 15, 2007 11:48 AM (in response to pcsronbo006)

Well, if it helps, I think you are fast.

Dec 14, 2007
    28. Nov 15, 2007 8:55 PM (in response to pcsronbo006)

quote:

Originally posted by StrongLikeSteel:

Well, if it helps, I think you are fast.

It does, thanks.

• RichardC040 Pro 218 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    29. Nov 16, 2007 7:56 PM (in response to pcsronbo006)

My answer is still no... I care about running Long! and that is all... I am running with a group now that runs Ultras and trails they all run 50-100 mile races.... and I have learned a ton from them... I can't run that long with them yet but someday .... My hopes is to run a 50 k in 2009... up hills on trails... 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...