Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

494 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Apr 8, 2007 9:45 PM by pcsronbo006 RSS
pcsronbo006 Legend 1,323 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 27, 2007 7:32 PM

Heat

I mean REAL heat. Uncomfortable, things don't work like they normally do, that kind of heat.

1. How do YOU define heat? (Me - anything over 80)
2. How badly does heat impact you? (i.e. Me - over 80 I see a dramatic slowdown on the run, over 90 I can't really last more than 30min, over a hundred I melt into a puddle of goo instantly)
3. What do you guys do to mitigate the heat? i.e. tips and tricks to allow you to handle it better, esp in regards to RACING in the heat.

I'm 1/2 Iron training which means my 1/2 Marathon will be at the END of 4hours of high intensity. Then the fun starts. Last year I had a 3:40ish 1/2 Marathon. Even for me (PR of 3:19 prior... even though the 3:40 was mostly flat and 3:19 major hills) - that's slow.

----

Yup That's me[/URL" target="_blank">

• pmcneb Community Moderator 582 posts since
    Jan 10, 2006
    1. Mar 28, 2007 9:59 AM (in response to pcsronbo006)
    Re: Heat

ugh Heat. I can hardly wait for it. (not)

I am usually ok in the mid 80's. Over that and I am wiped out.

I am married to a man who loves heat. I think his favorite run is 3 miles in 100+ temps.

Last summer we trained together for a half. I was ok on the flats but the hills were a challenge. Too many times I came home to immediately throw off my shoes and run the garden hose over my legs to cool down.

My best time in the mornings is about 7 am. By then the sun has burned off some of the humidity. Anything after 10 am and i am a no-go.

----

Patty

• RCL043 Pro 180 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Mar 28, 2007 5:21 PM (in response to pcsronbo006)

I consider it warm above 70º.  Short runs of 3-4 miles really don’t bother me. However, I really start to fade time-wise after about 4 miles, especially if the heat is combined with humidity. I did a marathon a few years ago when the temperature got up to about 85º with high humidity.  I hit the wall after 24 miles, and alternatively walked and jogged the last two miles. Time-wise it was not one of my better marathons; however, I probably finished higher-up percentage-wise than any of my others.

In terms of tips, I try to hydrate, run in the early morning, and wear light clothes.

• hawaiiantk Amateur 72 posts since
    Jul 28, 2005
    3. Mar 28, 2007 11:56 PM (in response to pcsronbo006)

It's never too warm for me to run.  I don't have humidity to deal with though.  Maybe 20%. 

You could try one of those neck-wrap things with the filling in it.  You soak it in cool water and then wear it around your neck to help keep you cool.  I sent them to my DH in Iraq and he said they were <meh> ok, but he was dealing with 138 degree temps.  It might work better for you.  Hydrate well before you run also.

• Dana Becker Amateur 385 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    4. Mar 30, 2007 3:55 PM (in response to pcsronbo006)

High 80's if we have low humidity....down to mid to high 70's if we have high humidity.

How do I cope? Water. Lots of it. And slowing down. Many people don't slow down near enough in the heat. This summer I will be using my heart rate monitor though...and it doesn't lie about how hard I'm working. 

• SMP Legend 1,297 posts since
    Sep 29, 2007
    5. Mar 31, 2007 6:07 AM (in response to pcsronbo006)

Hydration is the key. Where I'm at, it's usually windy. That helps keep things cool. I've soaked shirts in water and ran in them. I work out side all year. I've soaked hats in water and put them on.

----

Never regret anything that made you smile, SteveP

My User Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

• SDRon060 Amateur 16 posts since
    Nov 12, 2006
    6. Apr 8, 2007 1:46 PM (in response to pcsronbo006)

I just saw a good suggestion to try to immerse yourself in water if you can. The suggestion came from a ultra runner list. Was to lay down in a couple creeks in a certain race.

I know Scott Jurek laid down in a bathtub full of ice during Badwater.

But the above are talking about extremely long runs.

I do have a suggestion. I have a hat that I fell in love with when I did a 20 mile run in 100+ temperatures. It worked especially good in the dry climate I used it in. Kept my head cooler than it would have been.....definitely.

http://www.tilley.com/detail.asp?catId=1&gender=u&extractBy=CategoryId&id=1&productNo=LTM6[/URL" target="_blank">

----

SDRon
    When being chased by a bear. You don't have to outrun the bear. You just have to outrun the other guy.

• tithers Rookie 1,259 posts since
    Nov 26, 2007
    7. Apr 8, 2007 7:26 PM (in response to pcsronbo006)

Ron-is your PR at a half IM or just a half mari?

I'm figuring the gulf coast tri will take me anywhere b/w 7.5-8 hours total. I can run a half in 2:30...by that's not after a long swim and ride...plus it's gonna be HOOOOOT!

I figure swim will take an hourish and the bike 3.5. Then there's transition, sunscreen, poo if the tummy is having a bad day. I'll pee the bike...poo, definitely not!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...