Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

7381 Views 17 Replies Latest reply: Sep 26, 2009 8:50 PM by Jaye Orrell RSS 1 2 Previous Next
hillcityjosh047 Rookie 26 posts since
May 30, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 4, 2007 2:26 PM

heavy runners & C25K

Hi, I'm Josh and today is W1D2 of my C25K program. I'm counting down the minutes for work to end so I can go on my run.

I've been lurking on coolrunning for a week and just now noticed the section for us gravity-challenged folks. I figured I'd say hi and introduce myself.

I'm 6'0" 250lbs and my goal is to run a 5K this autumn. Anyone in here in the very begining of C25K?

Josh

• ericd256 Legend 442 posts since
    Nov 30, 2007
    1. Jun 4, 2007 8:45 PM (in response to hillcityjosh047)
    Re: heavy runners & C25K

welcome josh

i just finished c25k and ohr and am working on halhigdons 10k novice now

• pbuth Amateur 14 posts since
    Apr 2, 2007
    3. Jun 5, 2007 2:39 PM (in response to hillcityjosh047)

Hi Josh.

I am Pam. Today was day W1D2 of my c25k. I am hoping to "run" my first 5k in September. I definitely fit the gravity challenged folk as well. I did the C25K before, but had to stop because of work and a back injury so my advice is to take it really slow. Even slower than you think you should. One of the reasons for my injury was that I tried to do too much to fast. Good luck.

pam

• ericd256 Legend 442 posts since
    Nov 30, 2007
    5. Jun 5, 2007 3:17 PM (in response to hillcityjosh047)
  • pcsronbo006 Legend 1,323 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    6. Jun 6, 2007 5:53 AM (in response to hillcityjosh047)

Remember, right now you're not based on speed - but time. It is, really, the "secret" of c25k, ohr, and others.. which is for you to figure out WHAT your pace should be to sustain it for the duration.

Once I broke 5k, 1 hour, 2 hour, 3 hour - these came pretty quickly.

I finished c25k on 4/3/05. I did 1/2 Marathon 3/06... 5/06... 8/06 (1/2 Ironman), and so on. Am I fast? Nope. But I can go the distance and each race, I am faster...

so you can do it, just hang in there, but remember the REAL challenge here is controlling your speed. It's harder than one might think!

(p.e. 5'9", 235 down from 322lbs 1/04)

Apr 2, 2007
    7. Jun 6, 2007 4:46 PM (in response to hillcityjosh047)

Josh,

One thing I have noticed is that although my legs seem heavier when I start my workout, if I keep going, it gets better if I keep going. It kind of works itself out.

As to the speed, one of the reasons that I run on a treadmill right now is because it is the only way I know to make sure I keep my speed low. I figure once I can run for a length of time without stopping, then I will run outside to get used to that for running races because I know it is very different. Does running with music help at all with pacing? Have you tried the C25K mp3s? The music can get a bit old, but the beat does help with pacing and the guy on the audio tells you when to run and when to walk.

pam

• pmcneb Community Moderator 582 posts since
    Jan 10, 2006
    8. Jun 7, 2007 7:18 AM (in response to hillcityjosh047)

Wow. You guys are more advanced than I wa with C25K. I just wore a watch ans went out and ran it. it was hard but the only way that I successfully made it through.

I still marvel that I can run the three miles that I originally did the c25k on and I have run 4 half marathons. LOL ?a greater distance but in my mind it pales next to just being able to do it at all.

Keep it up. Keep asking questions.

----

Patty

Apr 2, 2007
    10. Jun 7, 2007 1:47 PM (in response to hillcityjosh047)

Josh--

LOL That makes sense.  I wouldn't want you to get in trouble with your wife.  I wish I had a great husband to run with.  Instead, I have the mp3 player on my cell phone.     She is a lucky woman.  

pam

• HypoMom Rookie 5 posts since
    Jul 10, 2009
    11. Jul 10, 2009 8:04 PM (in response to pbuth)

I wrap my IPOD bud around my neck and crank it up.  That way both my friend and I can hear the guy say go!

• goferris Amateur 9 posts since
    Jul 9, 2009
    12. Jul 13, 2009 11:36 AM (in response to HypoMom)

I leave one earbud out so that I can hear hubby (and what's going on around me when I'm alone!) and I just let him know when our intervals are starting.  He doesn't care so much about the music; it's all about time with him.

• emily356 Amateur 10 posts since
    Jul 19, 2009
    13. Jul 19, 2009 7:00 AM (in response to goferris)

Hi there.  I have just completed W2D2 of C25K. I strained something in my foot so I'll be off a few days.:(  I have the dumbest question. I have been going for 20 minutes including the 5 minute walk warm-up.  So, I am doing the alternations for 15 minutes. My hubby was looking at  the schedule with me this morning and says I should be going for 25 min. That I shouldn't count the 5 minute warm-up.  So, my question is, do you end up with 20 min total, or 25? I know this is stupid, but my husband has me wondering. He is already a runner, so he doesn't realize how much harder it will be for me to add that extra five minutes. hahaha...

Emily

• rdhwyalane Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 19, 2009
    14. Jul 31, 2009 3:59 AM (in response to emily356)

Hi Emily.  I asked the same question on here the other day!  It is my understanding that you do a 5-minute warm up, then 20 minutes of intervals, for a total of 25 minutes.

ALANE :o)

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...