Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

960 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Jul 14, 2007 3:43 PM by flyingdog47
flyingdog47 Amateur 13 posts since
Sep 5, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 11, 2007 11:35 PM

Knees Please....

Hi all!

I'm a C25K'er (almost done - just W9D3 left!) who is a bit too big... (5'3+" 180lb, F). I enjoy running - and I'm up to the 3 mile final week in the program. (I'm going by distance right now, not time.) But, I have a couple of big problems. Mainly, each knee.

Some days when I run, I feel great. Could go for days, blah blah. But then there are days like today - when my knees just start to hate me. I know it's probably partially due to my size, and the fact that I've only been running for 11 weeks, but... help! Will my knees get better before I get smaller? Or do I need to lose weight before I can run any more?

I'd like to move to OHR (using the 10 min/mile conversion to make it 6 mile runner), but I'm not sure if I'll be able to handle it. Have you had to progress in training plans slower because of your size?

Help! I'm starting to get discouraged!

• patora Rookie 36 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Jun 12, 2007 3:03 AM (in response to flyingdog47)
    Re: Knees Please....

I'm currently losing weight, too.  I started at about 240 and m now down to 208. (Sorry, I just had to slip it in, I'm losing my weight ninja style and waiting for people to notice and not talking about it when it is first and foremost on my mind is driving me crazy!!!)

Anyways, I've also had knee trouble sporadically. I'm not really sure what the specific cause is, but I've found the best remedy is maintaining (plateauing) for awhile to let your knees get used to it. (You should keep repeating the last week of c25k until your knees don't bother you)

For instance, I recently upped my mileage, bringing my runs from 5k 5 days a week to 8k 3 times a week. My knees really complained about the longer runs(even though it's 1 kilo less total), so I took a rest day between runs. I did that for two weeks and I noticed my knees hurt less after each run. I did that for 2 weeks, and now, in the third I have the tiniest bit of knee discomfort, but I'm going to add back in a 5k run today and run my 8k again tomorrow. If, however, the knee pain comes back stronger than I think it will, I will take an extra rest day.

I found that the rest days in between runs built up my knees and have kept me injury free.

• pmcneb Community Moderator 582 posts since
    Jan 10, 2006
    2. Dec 27, 2007 9:49 AM (in response to flyingdog47)

Another thing to take note of is where you are running. My knees give me more problems when I have been running hillier routes. So  if you have been extending your distance outdoors, pay attention to your terrain.

My knees sound like popcorn popping when I go down the stairs. I was attributing it to age. I'm 52.

Editted to add...Congrats on completing the C25K program. I think it is great.

----

Patty

[http://This message has been edited by pmcneb (edited Jun-12-2007).|http://This message has been edited by pmcneb (edited Jun-12-2007).]

• wickedlady Rookie 27 posts since
    Jan 23, 2007
    3. Jun 13, 2007 8:58 AM (in response to flyingdog47)

1. strengthening the muscles around your knees.  Lots of good exercises here:  <a href="http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-241-28511555-0,00.html" target="_blank">http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-241-28511555-0,00.html[/URL" target="_blank">
    2. make sure you have a good pair of shoes that fit you and support you properly.

• StillPlugginAway Expert 564 posts since
    Dec 3, 2007
    4. Jul 12, 2007 5:01 PM (in response to flyingdog47)

I did the c25K this spring and also have some extra lbs on me (at this point only +15 more than the top WW goal weight down 30 - YAY).  My knees also get cranky when I up mileage.  They also bother me if I do to many back to back runs.  I just started the beginner HM training (17miles this week).  I am modifying it so that I run 4 days and not 5 so that my knees will hopefully be less cranky.  Personally I think what was said before is true about when mileage is upped you feel it in the knees.  I know I do.  Srength training of the muscles around the knees I do believe has helped me some as well.  ALSO, check your sneakers!!  Many times knee issues strart from the ground up.  If you have a running store nearby have them check your stride.  I am lucky to have one and recently got out of a pair of Brooks and put back in  Aasics Gel Kayano II.  I overpronate and just changing sneakers from Aasics to the Brooks bummed my knees out.  So much to think about - hope some of this might have helped.  Not sure how you feel about medication but I take an Aleve before bed on the night I run to help with any inflamation that might be in them.  Good luck - keep us posted.

• SLOjim Pro 365 posts since
    Nov 17, 2007
    5. Jul 12, 2007 5:55 PM (in response to flyingdog47)

I have no idea if this applies to you, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway........

I'm an old overweight runner that's be running for many years but still learning new things about running. I returned to running a few years ago with lots of weight to drop........ as I lost weight I built up my mileage and then started to increase my speed. It was at this point my knees started to bother me. I found that my problem was that I was overstriding to try to increase my speed. Almost as soon as I worked on shortening my stride and increasing my turnover the knee problems went away. Make sure you have good running mechanics as well as good shoes!

Jim

• RunForFun001 Pro 626 posts since
    Jan 25, 2007
    6. Jul 13, 2007 9:27 AM (in response to flyingdog47)

I would agree - you should be putting weight on your foot as it is right under your body - I had made the same mistake early in running.  If you are planting your foot ahead of your body - 1st your body deccelerates until it gets under you and then accelerates - This is hard on your body.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...