Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1792 Views 24 Replies Latest reply: Sep 13, 2007 2:28 PM by PkPanther34 RSS Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • PkPanther34 Amateur 86 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Aug 27, 2007 1:55 PM (in response to Francesca24)
    Re: signed up for half -- what was i thinking?

quote:

Originally posted by pmcneb:

Hey, can I join in on this encouraagemnet thread?

My 25 year old daughter has talked me into running a HM in SC on December 8. She will be running the full.

I don't plan on starting any kind of trining until September 1ish.

Right now, I am just slogging along at about 15 mpw. It is too hot and humid to do much more and I hate running on the TM unless it is bitter out there.

That's fine by me!!!  I hear you about the heat/humidity.  I live in Texas and it's brutal outside, no matter what time of day I run.  Unfortunately, my training program has already started, and I just have to endure.  I did my tempo run last week on a TM, and HATED it!!!

• pmcneb Community Moderator 582 posts since
    Jan 10, 2006
    17. Aug 30, 2007 12:55 PM (in response to Francesca24)

Oh, heck..I don't know what training plan I am going to do. And September 1 is soon upon us.;:

I seem to recall that for last springs HM, i just added a mile on to my long run each week and then boosted my other runs up a tad.

I have it somewhere.......

I am pretty lax about the whole thing. I don't do speed work because Ireally don't care a whole lot aobut my time. I just like to finish and still be able to walk and talk. !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!

My times are not stellar by any means. My first HM was 2:41???and my best one was 2:18. So, as long as I stay in that region, I am happy.

I don 't see how anyone can compare times unless they are for the same race on the same day. The 4 HM's I have run have all been vastly different in regards to temp and terrain.

----

Patty

• wrthrows Pro 115 posts since
    Sep 24, 2007
    18. Aug 30, 2007 3:28 PM (in response to Francesca24)

Francesca, if your long run is at 8 miles right now, should have no problem finishing a half in November. My rule of thumb on half training is to ad 1 mile to my long run every two weeks until you get up to 12 miles.  Do a couple 12s, taper for 2 weeks. Bingo, your ready to go.

I'm a big runner, 46 years old. Been doing Halfs for about 6 years now with my weigh ranging from 230-250. I usually finish around 2 hours. This is the basic program that works for me. During the rest of the week, I do 4-4 mile runs, one of them speed work or hills.

Hope this helps

Good luck!

• blueberry567 Rookie 29 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    19. Aug 30, 2007 11:09 PM (in response to Francesca24)

Hi guys!  Can I join you in your HM encouragement?  I will be doing the R&R HM in Phoenix in early January.  I know I'll be a bit behind the rest of you but the talk is always good.  I am new to running but am determined to do finish this race.  I'll be doing a 10k halfway through my training plan to gauge how I'll do in the actual race.  I am very very slow so it'll be interesting but I'm up for a challenge. 

I'm a little embarrased to ask this but I am considered an athena (about 20# overweight)...what is a filly?  I see a few of you wrote you've registered as that and I'm not sure what that means?

Jan 10, 2006
    20. Aug 31, 2007 2:59 PM (in response to Francesca24)

I am not positive, but I think a filly and an athena are the same thing.

My first half marathon was the Phoenix Rock and Roll in 2006.

It was flat, fun and very crowded. When it is closer to the date, remind me and I will fill you in on a few details.

----

Patty

Jan 10, 2006
    21. Dec 27, 2007 9:59 AM (in response to Francesca24)

Thank you Bruce. I like your plan. I just worked it out an dmy long run this week should be 5 miles. I am right on schedule. Whew!

EDA: I read Bruce's HM training wrong.The schedule I worked out is to add one mile to my long run each week. Then every third week, i schedule a cut back run. So I will run for my long runs 5,6,7,5,8,9,7,10,11,9,12,12,taper taper.

I think that will work and won't kill my legs.
    actually, it is not the legs that I am careful of, it is my feet as the distances mount.

----

Patty

[http://This message has been edited by pmcneb (edited Aug-31-2007).|http://This message has been edited by pmcneb (edited Aug-31-2007).]

Jan 10, 2006
    22. Sep 13, 2007 12:41 PM (in response to Francesca24)

So, what happened to all of the HM'ers? Are  you still all gung ho for training?

----

Patty

• PkPanther34 Amateur 86 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    24. Sep 13, 2007 2:28 PM (in response to Francesca24)

quote:

Originally posted by pmcneb:

So, what happened to all of the HM'ers? Are you still all gung ho for training?

I'm still here too! Possibly still gung ho! Actually I am still in full-training mode, it's just getting hard to find the time/energy for all the running my schedule is calling for.

Take this week for instance. Here's what I'm supposed to be running this week:
    M - Off
    T - 4
    W - 4
    Th - 6
    F - 3
    S - Off
    S - 9

Total of 26 miles. This might be more doable if I were a faster runner, but my training runs average between 10:30 - 11:45 min pace, and it just takes sooooo long to run every day.

In the back of my mind, I was wondering if a marathon would ever be in my future, but unless my fast-twitch muscles suddenly come alive and speed me up, I just don't have the time to train for anything longer and deal with the rest of my life. (work, college, husband, kids, etc.)

Okay, enough of my pity party, hope everybody else is training smart and safe.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...