Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4704 Views 19 Replies Latest reply: Dec 22, 2007 10:17 PM by running dad1 RSS 1 2 Previous Next
libbys04 Rookie 29 posts since
Oct 16, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 18, 2007 6:00 PM

Transfer your running log to Runningahead.com

Runningahead.com is helping all coolrunning fans transfer our information into their system - i took a look thorugh it and their log looks 100% better than what active is offering (this site is HORRIBLE!!!)

Thank you to all those who figured out the backdoor way of downloading your coolrunning log into excel!

http://www.coolrunning.com/cgi-bin/log/display.cgi?u=USERNAME;p=PASSWORD

Replace USERNAME and PASSWORD with your information.

I had to use Mozilla instead of internet exporer to do this but it worked.  Then go to tools and download the information into an excel file.  

I am sad to see coolrunning go but releived to have gotten my data before most of it was lost and glad to not be wasting anymore time trying to navigate this horrible and very limited site.  

Peace out Active!

• PapaBanucci Rookie 80 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Dec 18, 2007 6:28 PM (in response to libbys04)
    Re: Transfer your running log to Runningahead.com

Everybody, compare feature-for-feature runningahead vs. active.

For me the most important feature is the ability to EXPORT my log at any point and avoid site lock-in. 

You too active folks.  Wouldn't hurt you to be familiar with the features of the competition.

• Brian W Rookie 39 posts since
    Sep 27, 2007
    2. Dec 19, 2007 4:48 AM (in response to PapaBanucci)

I sent mine there.

• pogo1102 Rookie 4 posts since
    Dec 3, 2007
    3. Dec 19, 2007 10:46 AM (in response to Brian W)

I was able to get into my log, but after that, I don't know what to do with it to save it.  I haven't the foggiest idea how to save it or export it (I have many skills, but the patience to figure out computer stuff is not one of them), and my tech support has been struck down with a stomach bug.  Can anyone tell me what to do?

Sep 27, 2007
    4. Dec 19, 2007 10:54 AM (in response to pogo1102)

If you can get to the Log then click on the tools icon. Once there on the right is this menu

Download Your Running Log To download your running log into Excel or another spreadsheet or database, follow these steps.

1) , and save the resulting page to your hard drive, by choosing Save As from your browser's File menu, and take careful note of where you save the file.

Click the click here icon and it will open a save as box. It will be downloading a .cgi file. Just remember where you save it so you can get to it to email it.

• KatJ075 Rookie 5 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. Dec 19, 2007 11:02 AM (in response to Brian W)

Pogo, I saved my data as a CGI file but was then unable to open it with Excel, even though I have that application on my computer. If that happens to you, open your CGI file as a Microsoft Word document, then go to Save As and save it as a Text File. Then, go to your Excel tool, open it up, put your cursor on the very first box. Then go to the Data tab above and select "Import External Data". There are a few steps it asks you to go through and then it will open up in a nice, pretty file. Lastly, save your new Excel file as is.

I am a computer dummy and need a lot of details so that is why I am explaining it in such small baby steps. I hope it helps if you need it.

Dec 3, 2007
    6. Dec 19, 2007 11:13 AM (in response to KatJ075)

Ah, thank you all so much.  I don't seem to have Excel (or at least I can't find it) but I think my husband's computer does.  I just want my 7(?) year's worth of info, in any form!!

• Sammy80 Rookie 6 posts since
    Dec 16, 2007
    7. Dec 19, 2007 12:38 PM (in response to libbys04)

www.runningahead.com just added a feature that let's you import your own log!  Cool beans!  I'm so glad I made the switch.

• VLAD069 Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    8. Dec 19, 2007 12:49 PM (in response to libbys04)

The deal with transferring the running log from coolrunning.com to active is a terrible, terrible disappointment. The running log at coolrunning.com was cool, easy to use and well equipped. What active offers is awful. My impression is that active is here just to sell stuff. Thanks for the tip to checl runningahead. Vlad

• bdags061 Rookie 61 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    9. Dec 19, 2007 1:24 PM (in response to libbys04)

I e-mailed my log the other day.  I just received an e-mail from eric @ runningahead.com.  He used the new automated process to import mine.  It looks great!  The coolrunning log was great, but this is at least as good.   In fact, it has some nice features that coolrunning did not have.

He said he had to automate it because he has "literally hundreds of logs waiting to be done."

I would have stayed here if they would have listened and brought back the coolrunning log.  Too late now.....

Good bye, coolrunning/active.

Dec 3, 2007
    11. Dec 19, 2007 6:03 PM (in response to libbys04)

Holy cow even I was able to transfer my coolrunning log to Runningahead (once I found where the heck my download went)!!  Flawlessly!  It's a wonderful, clean site with no gimmicks!  And it works!

• Croydon Rookie 25 posts since
    Sep 16, 2007
    12. Dec 19, 2007 7:07 PM (in response to libbys04)

Just imported my .cgi file from CR to RunningAhead. Took about 40 secs to import 2 years worth of data and it looks great.!!

• jdpeach Rookie 20 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    13. Dec 19, 2007 8:15 PM (in response to libbys04)

I tried out running2win.com and runningahead.com. I really like the log at runningahead. I think even more than I liked the CoolRunning original log. I will check back here on occasion just to see what they do with the log at Active, but I doubt they could persuade me back. I will try to give it an honest shot when they finally get their act together.

DPeach

Sep 27, 2007
    14. Dec 20, 2007 3:20 AM (in response to jdpeach)

I imported mine last night. 5 years of data in a flash. Oh and the shoes milage is all there too. This begs the question. How can the old coolrunnig, runningahead and the others get it right and the allmighty Active can't. OH and by the way Active hands off runningahead do not aquire them too!!!!!!

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...