Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3409 Views 12 Replies Latest reply: Dec 11, 2007 3:34 PM by kevmci RSS
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 7, 2007 4:04 PM

Stupid Question - Am I Too Big To Run

I hate to ask stupid questions but I'm lost.  I'm a 35 years old, female, 5'8", and 208 lbs.  Am I too big to run?  Everyone keeps telling me to walk or do the ellipitical trainer first and then when I lose some weight, I can run.  But I don't want to do that unless I have to.  I've never been this big before but 6 years ago I used running and eating right to go from 178 lbs to 145 lbs and I would like to do it again.  I hate too much structure so the 2 minute, 1 minute thing would drive me nuts. What I want to do is just get outside and exercise for 30 minutes, running when I can and walking when I can't.  I would do that 3 times a week.

What do you think?

Sharrye

• RichardC040 Pro 218 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Nov 7, 2007 6:35 PM (in response to Guest )
    Re: Stupid Question - Am I Too Big To Run

Do it!!!!!

YOur body will tell you  to slow down and walk  if it wants you too.... Normally in the way of shin splints!

• mrinertia Pro 1,310 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Nov 7, 2007 9:08 PM (in response to Guest )

I was in much the same boat as you when I started back two years ago. Had some background in running but had dropped out and gained weight. I didn't know anything about C25K so I just did things my own way, building distance at my own pace. Things seem to have worked out really well for me. I've been running for almost two years, have a nice solid base, have done a handful of half marathons, one full one (getting ready to start training for my second) and a smattering of shorter races.

I was 6'1" at over 285 when I started so I'm thinking you're not too big by any standard, just make sure you get your doc's ok before getting started.

• akimbo Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Nov 8, 2007 7:30 PM (in response to Guest )

I was dubious about running too!  I'm 33 and 5'7 and 221 (down from 244 in Jan) and it really has helped me lose weight more than any other exercise.  If you've been checked by a doctor and it doesn't hurt, go fer it!

• pcsronbo006 Legend 1,323 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. Nov 9, 2007 4:38 AM (in response to Guest )

DO it, BUT DO it slowly.

the #1 anyone has with a "new' excercise program is too much too soon. What happens sooooo many times is people feel good, overdo it, end up injured, and then now you're stuck back on the couch and now you are bumming out because you can't do anything.

I very much agree w/ the walking and elliptical, they are excellent augments to the overall "plan". Weights would be good too (add muscle = adding calorie burning AT REST). Cycling, Swimming these are far better than running for big folk, because less impact.

I'm 229 down from 322. It took me 18months to get into serious, regular running. Now, 2-3 hour runs are no problem. Just take 'er slow

welcome back!

• SLOjim Pro 365 posts since
    Nov 17, 2007
    5. Nov 9, 2007 8:19 AM (in response to Guest )

I got back into running a few years ago after a 5 year layoff and gaining 75 pounds (5-10, 175 to 250lbs).  When I started back running it like starting from scratch and I could barely run a 100 yards.  I hate structure too, so I just went out on the local trails and would do the run/walk but didn't care how soon I needed to slow down for the walk.  I was surprised that within a few months I wasn't walking anymore and my runs were getting up in the 5 to 6 mile range.

The key is listening to your body and staying injury free.... keep your pace slow and use short strides until your body gets use to running again.

• mrinertia Pro 1,310 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    7. Nov 12, 2007 10:27 AM (in response to Guest )

quote:

Originally posted by cerene:

Thanks for the support everyone. It's nice to know that so many people were just where I was and look at everyone now - kicking butt and taking names. I bought a great pair of NB 1061 the other day so I'm ready to rumble. Friday I couldn't get myself to actually walk out the door but today I plan to go to the park after work. Wish me luck!

Cerene

How did it go?

• Birdog Amateur 116 posts since
    Dec 15, 2007
    8. Dec 27, 2007 10:09 AM (in response to Guest )

I just want to encourage you a little more...

I ran two marathons as a clydesdale. One at 218. The second at the weight you are now. A year before I ran the first. I weighed 237 pounds, am 5'9" tall, and I smoked two packs of cigarettes a day. When I told the guys at work I wanted to run the LA Marathon next year. There was a roar of laughter in the room. One year later there was respect.

A few years later. My job became so demanding that it ruined any healthy lifestyle I could possibly practice. I gained weight. Left the job. Gained even more weight. Then found out I had diabetes because I was losing my eye sight. I had also been losing weight. Discovered the weight loss was uncontrollable. Again...taking care of myself in reality, cured the diabetes. I put a stop to the weight loss at 180 pounds. Then got lower controllaby. I did this through good rest, eating right, and running. I couldn't run at first. The diabetes had eaten up my legs too badly. So I walked. And ran a little....as much as I could. Just like you're doing now. Well...one morning I went to breakfast and saw on the TV that they were going to interview a guy who runs all night long. I ran at night. Lived at night. My breakfast was after working all night. Had three nights a week off work. Well...knowing that guy might be out there encouraged me. That night I left home at about 11pm. Started walking. Then, in the middle of that walk. I ran one mile for the first time in a long time. Then walked till I went into low blood sugar. I call it "white terror". I walked the 8/10's of a mile back to my apartment as effeceintly as I possibly could. I did around 7 miles total. I broke my diabetes that night. The doctor had to take me off medication completely. 14 months later I ran a 50K Ultra. The interview guy from above is a well known Ultra runner.
    I also wanted to add. I remember seeing a guy who is the(?) world record masters holder for the marathon. Either way, he is really fast. a 3 hour marathon. He has no structure whatsoever to his workouts. He just spends a certain number of hours a day running. Doesn't keep track of mileage or anything. Just goes out and enjoys his run.
    I hope this helped encourage you. You're fine not worrying about any structure to your workout. The important thing is like nike says: Just do it.

----

Ron
    When being chased by a bear...You don't have to outrun the bear. You just have to outrun the other guy.

[http://This message has been edited by Birdog (edited Nov-15-2007).|http://This message has been edited by Birdog (edited Nov-15-2007).]

• gmmog Rookie 8 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    9. Nov 21, 2007 7:06 PM (in response to Guest )

I didn't realize I was a Clysesdale!!!

I started running five years ago. I ran a mile and was sore for most of the week. Little by little I've added mileage. I also run everyother day.

Now, I run five miles without stopping. I'm 6' 1". Five years ago I weighed 275. Now, I'm 230.

Picking up two jelly donuts and a coffee on the way to work everyday was the other thing I cut out.

Keep up the running.

gmmog

• dg12002 Expert 614 posts since
    Aug 26, 2003
    10. Nov 30, 2007 1:59 PM (in response to Guest )

I ran my first 5 marathons at 220, within the first 2 years of returning to running. No one dared tell me anything like that. They'd been talking to my hand, behind my back, coughing in the dust. 3:52 is not bad for a big boy either.

• antagonist77040 Rookie 47 posts since
    Nov 1, 2006
    11. Dec 11, 2007 1:24 AM (in response to Guest )

One more story here for you.

I was a two pack a day smoker, an alcoholic, depressed and topped the scale at 400lbs. I'll post a couple of pics, just for some credibility.

Anyway, I decided I had enough, it was time to do something or die trying. I've spent the first 27yrs. of my life as a fat kid, a fat teenager and a fat adult with all that comes with it. I did a little research, found coolrunning and the newbie forum and posted for some advice. I sh*t you not, the first day I tried to run, I could not jog 30 feet. But everyday I went back out and went just a little bit further.

My family told me I was going to have a heart attack. My friends told me I was going to blow out my knees. My doctor told me I was going to have back problems. My body told me everything hurt, I would bleed from the chaffeing and every morning it would take what seemed like an eternity to get out of bed due to the pain. Sometimes being stubborn pays off, I went out every day and ran around a little track in the park that was 5 and 1/3 laps for one mile. It took months to actually 'jog' that first mile but I did it. Everyday I went out there, people would stare, make comments, some would be supportive but many would look at me like they were watching a train wreck unfold in front of their eyes, which they were.

I kept at it, learned a few things on the way you'll need to learn. Proper shoes, hydration, hydration, hydration, dieting, resting, following a traning plan, cross training, associating with other runners (this was a big one as no one in my life ran) and listening to your body.

So at age 29 and almost 120lbs. lighter, I finished my first half and since have completed two more. Now at age 30 and almost 150lbs. lighter, I will attempt my first full marthon in Feb. I currently weigh in at 255lbs. but hope to be 250 by Feb., if I can make it through the holidays. !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!

Take heart, when you finally believe in yourself, you will do it.

400lbs.

255lbs.

• kevmci Amateur 36 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    12. Dec 11, 2007 3:34 PM (in response to Guest )

Very, very,very impressive.

Keep it up. It's a great story.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...