Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4076 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Oct 5, 2009 12:00 PM by runforlife1227 RSS
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 2, 2007 2:07 AM

Hey guys, teen runner here!

I found these forums and this one in particular, and I'd like to share a story with all of you ending with a question I'd like to ask  !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!. I am a 15 year old girl and I weigh about 190 pounds. I had noticed in gym class that when I ran, I was slow, but I didn't mind running too much. I had meant to join cross country that year in high school (my 9th grade), but I got scared because I'd heard stories of the huge amount of miles that they run and how fast everyone was. I was scared that they'd make fun of me for being slow because I used to get teased all the time in gym class for being one of the slowest, and so I didn't join that year. Over the summer into 10th grade my mom persuaded me to join, coaxing me, because she thought it would be a good experience and give me some exercise. I finally joined, scared and.. it turned out to be one of the best decisions I ever made. The girls on the team were so friendly, and even though I was the slowest on the team by a good amount, I was never treated any differently. At the meets, people wouldn't turn away in disgust or point and laugh like in gym class where everyone else was, but actually cheer me on and tell me to keep going, and I even that I was respected for joining the team, something I have not felt in a long time. I regret not joining last year, there is something about running miles and going through pain that bonds you with your teammates, and I felt so good after finishing the season, I was so proud that I did it, that I gave it my all, and survived some of those "killer" runs up huge hills. My mile time went from a 10:00 to a 9:00, and I lost about 10 pounds from cross country. My question is, I would like to get even faster, because cross country has really inspired me to run harder and faster.

I was wondering, how much could I run, because now I really want to break 8:00 in the mile and get down to a good slim weight. I don't think I will do track this year, I feel like I am not ready for that since it is about speed, and my mile times don't seem sufficient =/. I want to do it next year if I can break 8:00, I view breaking 7 as something crazy, but anything is possible right?

Thanks if you read all of the above, I would appreciate some good advice on any type of training schedule and I can provide more information is needed. Thanks!

• RichardC040 Pro 218 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Dec 2, 2007 9:12 AM (in response to Guest )
    Re: Hey guys, teen runner here!

If you want to run Cross Country then run Cross country...

Stop worrying about what everyone else does and thinks.

• mrinertia Pro 1,310 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Dec 2, 2007 8:21 PM (in response to Guest )

There's no reason why you can't break an 8:00 mile. It'll take some smart training and, most importantly, consistent deadication on your part. Train smart, it's not always about banging your head against the wall as hard as you can.

Set some intermediate and short term goals.

Watch your nutrtion and food intake - that's gonna be the key to weightloss.

Don't fear high mileage. Don't pursue it foolishly, but don't be afraid. High mileage is one of the keys to success in this sport. It's pretty fun, too.

When you say "I was wondering how much I could run" are you asking what sort of weekly mileage you should be turning right now?

• Brian McN Amateur 240 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Dec 3, 2007 7:40 AM (in response to Guest )

It was very brave of you to join the team.  Keep getting out there consistently.  Don't take too much on all at once so that you can keep going and SLOWLY increasing your mileage.  Don't worry about your speed at this point.  As you have already learned you will keep getting faster if you are just able to stay consistent with your training schedule.
    Another thought I had was if you kept training with the team over the winter into Spring track I can see you doing quite well this year.  Don't rule out doing track this year.  Look at the friendships you've made and the confidence you are building.  These things can only help your running for next year and beyond.

• Lanterne_Rouge Rookie 8 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    4. Dec 4, 2007 9:42 AM (in response to Guest )

I agree with Brian, keep up the work with the teammates you've established relationships with.  Join the track team and do the workouts.  Track has longer runs, the 1600, 3200...etc.  You will be doing considerable mileage each week to help you establish your goals of shedding a few lbs and decreasing your time.  Go for it and have fun all the way!  There is only one person that can finish in first place, but everyone else is a winner for simply participating.

• kevmci Amateur 36 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    6. Dec 4, 2007 4:59 PM (in response to Guest )

Hook up with the distance runners - you probably know them from the cross country team. They're are probably starting workouts for the indoor season and certainly the outdoor track season. You don't have to run in any meets, but you should be able to work out with them. Then, later in the spring, find a local running club. Enter a 5k and you'll find a lot of runners slower than you. Let us know how you're doing.

• runforlife1227 Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 20, 2009
    7. Oct 5, 2009 12:00 PM (in response to Guest )

Hello,

I am also a teen runner and i was in your same position about 4 months ago. It was my junior year, i was a thrower for track, and at the end of the season at 5'11 240 pounds i wasnt in the best of shape. I talked to the coach and soon after track was over i started running voluntary practices with the cross country team. in my first 5k on june 11th i ran a 31:29. That day i became hooked and ive been running and training hard ever since. Im down to 217 pounds and this past saturday i ran a 23:38 5k at a pace of 7:37 per mile. Never give up, always push that much harder, and you will achieve your goals. keep it up

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...