Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

10326 Views 68 Replies Latest reply: Dec 29, 2007 10:03 AM by ericd256 RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next
  • kylemcm Rookie 250 posts since
    Aug 16, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Dec 27, 2007 4:08 PM (in response to LeftRightRepeat)
    Re: Is it time to start the revolution?

I haven't been posting much cause I just don't like the Active site. So, I'm ready to saddle the horses and move out to greener pastures. And wherever we land, be it Kickrunning or Runningahead or whatever, I just want to see the old CRMS gang stay together as much as possible.

You know, if we went to Runningahead, maybe they could open up a Multisport forum for us. Then we could be the Running Ahead Multisporters, or "R.A.M.S." We were looking for something to call ourselves weren't we?

...ok, nevermind, that's kinda silly.

• ussoccer Rookie 1,412 posts since
    Dec 11, 2007
    16. Dec 27, 2007 5:31 PM (in response to LeftRightRepeat)

LeftRightRepeat wrote:
    TheProFromDover wrote:

At the risk of sounding defeatist, I would say it's done.Cigar -

You're a forum hoar. Every place I check out is littered with your posts. I'm not like that. I'm looking for one place I can call my own and share with my friends.

Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? **** no! And it ain't over now. 'Cause when the goin' gets tough... ...the tough get goin'! Who's with me?

Me. I'm with you. And Mr. Bannon. Because you guys talk sense. Everybody at Active.com is probably on vacation, much like my company and probably yours, so there's only a skeleton crew fixing and patching and trying to make do. That plus the fact that Bannon brings up some awesome points about the other two sites. Me personally, i'd much rather be a part of something rather than my own island. I learned long ago that it is you people who keep me motivated to want more of myself in all aspects of life, not just triathlon, and that's where I will stay, but the fact that Active is a part of much more -- with money to back it and hence keep it going and have more incentive to do so -- then I will stay for a while longer. Regardless, I will look over at Kick every now and then to see what's up. I don't think I have the time to keep up with much more. So with that I will not even try to look further at RA. Not biased, just gotta draw a line.

With that said, please do me a serious favor: If you decide to abort this ship please post here to say that you are gone. There are so many of you that I keep in touch with personally, and there are so many of you who have become such good friends, that I would be sad if all of a sudden you were gone and never to be seen again. Just like Jr did in posting his "Active Blows" thread, please do the same if you choose the same path.

• chrisuletz Rookie 467 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    17. Dec 27, 2007 6:46 PM (in response to LeftRightRepeat)

Hey LRR, when did the Germans bomb Pearl Harbor?

And how do you quote the previous message?

• pcsronbo006 Legend 1,323 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    18. Dec 27, 2007 6:48 PM (in response to ussoccer)
    ussoccer wrote:

As for me, I'm getting anxious to find a comfortable home, but as long as you all are still here, I will put up with my complaints and continue to do my part. On the other hand, if you all really want to go elsewhere, I have no allegience to CR or Active; only, like LRR mentioned, it is convenient and we do get many, many more members coming and going, some who even stay and settle in with us to our little spot on message board heaven, by being a part of such a conglomerate.

Ditto. Perfectly said.

• melistic Amateur 777 posts since
    Oct 11, 2007
    20. Dec 27, 2007 7:32 PM (in response to LeftRightRepeat)

I just beat the goal by having 6 tops posts (or what-cha-call-it)

your turn

• melistic Amateur 777 posts since
    Oct 11, 2007
    22. Dec 27, 2007 7:36 PM (in response to LeftRightRepeat)

What? Do you have a special timer that dings? Man you're quick!

• kristine25 Amateur 530 posts since
    Aug 17, 2007
    23. Dec 27, 2007 7:38 PM (in response to LeftRightRepeat)

I haven't been posting much but it's more a matter of timing (Disney Cruise, Stress Fractor, Christmas.   I posted on CR so much because of all of you.  I finished 70.3 because of all of you, I continue to tri because of all of you.  I don't care where we go.  I'll just follow!!!!

• jwcrew99x Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    24. Dec 27, 2007 8:04 PM (in response to LeftRightRepeat)

Why does this all have to be so difficult for Active.  I don't know, I just can't handle going into a tone of different forums, I can't seem to keep the names of the players straight here.

BTW, 5 months no running due to calf/achillies problem.  I don't know if I should waste my money on signing up for any tri's next year.

Jon

• Kick Fred Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 27, 2007
    25. Dec 27, 2007 8:18 PM (in response to jroden)
    jroden wrote:

I just get annoyed when people preface their name with "Active" as though the rest f the world was a bunch of slugs.

We could start a whole new tradition...

I don't mind the "Active XXXX" thing - though it seems redundant with the little emblems.

• kcwoodhead Rookie 316 posts since
    Oct 18, 2007
    26. Dec 27, 2007 8:18 PM (in response to LeftRightRepeat)

I just had to click 5 times to log in to reply to this thread.  Not good.

I ventured over to kick earlier today and I really do like it.  I will probably still check back here from time to time, but so far I'm not impressed and I am impressed by kick - feels more like CR did.

• Dougie Fresh037 Rookie 435 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    27. Dec 27, 2007 8:41 PM (in response to LeftRightRepeat)

Yay, so here you guys are!  It seems things have settled down enough I can find where y'all went now.  whew I thought I'd lost y'all (though some of you I am hooked up with on LinkedIn so it's not like you're really lost).

I can't wait to change my the stupid username they gave me.

LRR, Thor, et. al. I'll jump wherever you go.  I feel like you are my tri community on and off line.  This is my first post @ Active so I don't know if I hate it yet.  My posting this time of year would be very light anyway.  I've been taking it easy, recharging all my batteries and brainstorming how I will approach 2008.  I want a different approach that's more longterm than the beatings I give myself from Jan-Aug every year.  I need sustainability.

Anyway, keep me in the loop where you go -- either here or email.

Thor: congrats on your race in FL.  Hopefully I can find your RR somewhere.

Cheers,

Doug (aka Dougie Fresh)

• Silly Sally087 Rookie 1,185 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    28. Dec 27, 2007 9:04 PM (in response to LeftRightRepeat)

Well, for the moment, I am in both Kick and here, though admittedly, I like Kick more .... and yes, it feels like our old CR home ... Wow, I only had to login twice to get this post up!

Sally

• triandstopme044 Rookie 1,135 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    29. Dec 27, 2007 10:40 PM (in response to LeftRightRepeat)

I'm catching up after a long day at work, so I may be too late to the party for this to be relevant... but just in case...

The backstory I heard about Kick was that Cool Running evolved out of the original Kick site... but that some core folks broke off with Kickrunners.com.  I think it's been around a long time.  They had a big influx last August when this whole mess started.  And then had a huge influx this past couple of weeks and that's what necessitated the new server. 

I hear the "how long will they be around" concerns, but I'd almost feel better to be at the mercy of a smaller group of folks (or even the one guy at RA) who really care about providing a great services, as opposed to the more strictly profit-based motives of a huge company like Active.

Plus, if we keep afloat, we could always have a way to find each other and regroup.

Personally, I found Cool Running via a google search when I was looking for an answer to a running related question.  I don't think it would take long for the same kind of searches to send people to wherever we land.  I suppose some folks might stumble into the forums from the other services, but that wasn't my personal experience.

Most people I know who talk about Active (in a non-forum related way) really seem to... well, despise Acitive.  Personally, my experience using Active to register for races has been fine, but others have felt ripped off when they had to deal with Active.  I suppose the animosity could mean they just hate big corporations, or they could have more specific complaints.  Either way, I don't think we can bank on being associated with a big name being a given draw for newbies.  Sometimes the association can be negative.

If the switch hasn't already been made, maybe everyone could try out the Kick and RA and we could get a consensus.  It's definitely nice that Kick made a home for us.  Though I know there are a lot of good things about RA, too.

I LOVE JR's new "Kick Fred" screen name.... though I'm not sure if it's a username or a request. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...