Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

9950 Views 68 Replies Latest reply: Dec 29, 2007 10:03 AM by ericd256 RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next
  • jkaiser20 Rookie 73 posts since
    Sep 26, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Dec 28, 2007 12:43 AM (in response to LeftRightRepeat)
    Re: Is it time to start the revolution?

Now I don't know what to do. I hate jumping back and forth. But it sounds like some core team members aren't ready to move. LRR, ussoccer, mbannon, and others. I don't want to post without them.

I think I might try reading here and posting at kickrunners.

Maybe soemone at KR can address the concerns bannon so eloquently described. Maybe I should post that over there?

One question for the Active folks would be 'Is there any plan to address what we feel are shortcomings? Or are we out of luck?'

At least this is happening in the winter and not in the spring when we start having panic-attack-caused-questions.

• neildonnelly Rookie 443 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    31. Dec 28, 2007 2:27 AM (in response to LeftRightRepeat)

I dont want to appear to be a lemming

But the main reason that I am on the forum (Cool running or Active or whatever) is you guys

All my imaginary friends out there in cyberspace - I have built up a relationship with you guys over the last 3 years and I do not want to lose that - I do not have the time with work - DW and kids and training  to log in to multiple sites on a regular basis to keep up with everything that is going on so I would prefer if we were all together under 1 umbrella .

One thing that may be worth considering - Active may not stop at just purchasing Cool Running

A few years ago I switched Utility suppliers from the biggest company in the UK to a smaller more friendly company - The prices were about the same but the customer service was much better with the smaller company . This went on quite happily for about 15 months until that smaller company was bought out by the larger company - loss of customer service so I switched again to another smaller company - 6 months later they were taken over again by the larger company - I got sick of switching so I am now with my original large company for my gas and electricity -

Active may try and buy out more of the smaller forums so ?????????????????? What would we do then

Basically I am a lemming and will stay if you guys stay and will follow if you leave

I have had some experience with Running Ahead - Mainly the training log - Thanks Hobey for the tip on that one but not of Kickrunners- THe reason I originally found Cool Running and started posting was that I was trying to find an online training log

Sorry for the rambling - I hope some of the above makes sense

Neil 

• pcsronbo006 Legend 1,323 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    32. Dec 28, 2007 4:45 AM (in response to tri_coach06)

Here's what I suspect happened. Totally guessing, but I've been around software projects for way-too-long seen it way too many times

1. Active Site conversion was well overdue. Even though the project was poor managed and/or poorly implemented and/or poorly staffed or some combination therein.

2. Someone said "sure, it's ready" covering their *** and trying not to get fired because of #1

3. Conversion happens, completely ignoring their demographic - which is people who are screwing around at work AND hey guess what... during a holiday we'll actually have MORE time to screw around and get annoyed by bugs

4. Conversion sucks, not ready for primetime, and now they are scrambling to first FINISH the conversion (which I am thinking is done, but just now?)

5. #2 is on vacation for the holidays, spending time with their family like they should

6. CRMS people revolt and start heading for the hills because bugs are not getting fixed and interface is way too much work.

What about the other CR forums?

anyway, like signed up over at Kick and I'll play both for a bit. I want to stay with core group of people and we could use freakin email for all I care.

The interface at Active is confusing, the site is slow, and it has CERTAINLY inhibited my ability to use the site. Seeing that, the only reason I would stay is if the majority stayed.

Myself, I think a mass exodos might be the kick in the arse needed. Esp we all left posts stating our reasons (not flames) on our way out the door. Let them KNOW why we bailed. then maybe they can make it better over time, and maybe a future place for us should Kick/etc go belly up in the future.

• Kick Fred Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 27, 2007
    36. Dec 28, 2007 5:55 AM (in response to LeftRightRepeat)
    LeftRightRepeat wrote:

What makes you so sure it's JR's???

Could be his good looks?

• hobey014 Rookie 887 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    38. Dec 28, 2007 6:34 AM (in response to LeftRightRepeat)

Sheesh....Go away for a day and look what happens.

A few thoughts from my side, I think to keep the spirit of CRMS alive in an already existing forum, Kick would be the better place. I lurk on the RA forums and they are already part of their own community and have voiced concerns that the massive influx of former CRs will change the place for the worse. Read, they will likely not agree to add a separate MS forum to complement their already existing X-Training forum but will suggest we create our own user group effectively isolating us from the whole. So I will continue to use the RA log but have no interest in using their forums. RA keeps me signed in so I only have to authenticate 1X/week.

I also think that it wasn't too realistic to expect broad sweeping changes during the holidays from Active. That said, I don't expect to see wide sweeping improvements come January that will address our concerns. The UI is horrid and the feel is cold and commercial. I could go on and on.  I would like to hold off on a mass exodus at least until the 2nd week of January just so that we have a chance to connect with all the CRMSers who have been on vacation and enjoying the holidays.

We have a few options open to us:

1. Begin populating the MS forum at Kick (meaning I have to get my butt in gear and sign up) hoping that Kick will now have the same attractions as the former CR and we continue to get new blood

2. Stay here. Since the rest of CR seems to be leaving in droves and we've only had a few bites from the regular Active forum, we won't get an influx of newbies

3. Create our own home. A lot of work and we will be a small community who really will only get new members through word of mouth

I do not want to lose this community we've built and I will go where the group collectively decides to go. I just ask that we have enough time to wrangle up all our stragglers.

• ussoccer Rookie 1,412 posts since
    Dec 11, 2007
    39. Dec 28, 2007 6:50 AM (in response to hobey014)

I say we hang out a few more weeks. Maybe we give Active until Monday, January 14. If by then we still have the same complaints, then we move wholesale. And if by then many of you have already migrated elsewhere, then it's already done but for an official, "We're out of here" on the 14th.

So I will stay until then and hope you do the same. But if your time has come and you decide to move on, please, please, please do me a favor and post here after a few days to tell me where you went.

From all I've read here, it seems that if there is another place to go, it is Kick, and I'm okay with that. Just know that when you go there, although the interface is indeed better, it is not perfect. You will have a few gripes, but maybe those of the variety you can forget much more quickly.

Question for Active.com: How difficult would it be to go back to the forum interface used at the former Cool Running site? If you built that back up, we would all come. And you'd probably get back the Ultra forum members, and Boomers, and Run and Race Reports, and countless others. Because we want to be a part of your community, it's just that you have made it hard to get around. It's almost as if moving into a new house where there are no lights. It's cold, and with winter coming and already a few weeks under the thermostat, it looks even colder months are in store.

• snigglefritz Rookie 70 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    40. Dec 28, 2007 7:18 AM (in response to ussoccer)

Hi ya'll. I hear I was "LIT".   I am here but I am a wee bit confused. I don't much care where we post as long as we are consistent. I haven't been around much due to both the switch and my pathetic lack of training. Hopefully both will improve shortly.

• TheProFromDover Amateur 28 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    41. Dec 28, 2007 7:23 AM (in response to snigglefritz)

LRR,

After 3 attempts to get logged in....

-

Cross posting my counsel created public statement...

I think this whole thing is being belabored beyond need. I am not

swearing off any site, or pledging allegiance to one either. I'll

probably settle on a daily thread somewhere, and hopefully make some

new friends. And if I need to connect with someone I'll know where to

find them. If someone needs to find me, I'll have a profile on all

three sites with an email (there are only three, right?).

-

Cheers,

Craig

ced53 at yahoo dot com

(the forum hoar)

• ussoccer Rookie 1,412 posts since
    Dec 11, 2007
    42. Dec 28, 2007 7:24 AM (in response to snigglefritz)

snigglefritz wrote:

Hi ya'll. I hear I was "LIT". I am here but I am a wee bit confused. I don't much care where we post as long as we are consistent. I haven't been around much due to both the switch and my pathetic lack of training. Hopefully both will improve shortly.Welcome back, Sniggs! I assume your other half will eventually come back too.

For the moment, most of us are staying put. Active is (supposedly) doing work on the site to fix pesky and very limiting issues. So we'll give them some more time for the community they have the potential to reach. So keep checking in from time to time.... you'll figure it out where we go. Because if we do go elsewhere, we'll try to get the message out.

• mmoonhead Rookie 432 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    43. Dec 28, 2007 7:47 AM (in response to LeftRightRepeat)

I'm not a senior member of this particular forum, but I want to echo what LRR said - keeping the CRMS gang together is the most important thing.

Until a final forum has finally been decided, I think cross-posting for now is a very good idea.  When members of the CR thread I almost exclusively posted to early on in my CR existence (the 30s in the Newbie Cafe) decided to make the whole hog move over to KR, we cross-posted to try to get the word to those who posted on that thread on a less-regular basis that we had made the switch.

As some others have noted who have dipped their hands in the water in KR, it is a lot like how the old CR used to be.  I find the format there a lot more readable and friendly, and you don't have to worry about the dreaded ******* asterisks (unless you want to put them in your post )

I've been cross-posting on your forum and the forums on KR for several months now, like some other members, and I also have my log on RA.  For me I just think of it all as a collection of things that I login to nowadays. 

Bottom line for me is wherever the group posts, that's where I'll post as well.

• Tamster018 Rookie 177 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    44. Dec 28, 2007 7:57 AM (in response to mmoonhead)

Not too sound to sappy- but........

Sometimes you want to go

Where everybody knows your name,

and they're always glad you came.

You wanna be where you can see,

our troubles are all the same

You wanna be where everybody knows

Your name.

Okay, so, yeah, that does sound pretty sappy.  But I found a place and a super supportive group of people that I really like.  I too, do not want to see our family split up.  I'll hang in both places until we all decide where to go. 

Tammy

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...