Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1907 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Dec 28, 2007 6:46 AM by RunForFun001 RSS
mainerunnah Legend 897 posts since
Aug 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 20, 2007 7:56 AM

Boston Marathon Training etc.

I just started my training for the Boston Marathon in earnest this week.  I'm doing an 18 week plan modeled after one of Pete Pfitzinger's plans that will have me peaking just above 70 miles.

Tuesday - 1 mile warm up then 5 x .5 mile repeats w/ .5 mile recovery jogs - 44:41 - (7:27)

Wednesday - Medium Long-Run - 11 miles - 1:27:15 - (7:56) My plan was to run this at about 10% above my marathon pace which would is 7:30 +/- I was spot on until I kicked it in to finish strong for the eleventh mile and ran that in 6:59 which put my average pace a little lower.  I pretty happy with that and have an easier 5 mile recovery run scheduled for later today.

• beatfreq Rookie 168 posts since
    Jun 26, 2005
    1. Dec 27, 2007 11:26 AM (in response to mainerunnah)
    Re: Boston Marathon Training etc.

I have just started training for Boston this week, so it's a 17 week schedule for me.  I'm using Pfitzinger's 18 week plan for more than 70 miles per week (skipping the first week of the plan).  Other than skipping the first week, I'm going to try to stick pretty close to the plan.  One of the tougher parts of it is the mid-week medium long runs.  I'll have to get up extra early to fit them in before work.  But I think they really help with endurance, so they're worth it.  Fortunately, I'm off from work this week, so it's a good week to get started.

Good luck with your training! 

- Chris

• RunForFun001 Pro 626 posts since
    Jan 25, 2007
    2. Dec 28, 2007 6:46 AM (in response to beatfreq)
    Re: Boston Marathon Training etc.

Snow and Ice will make training fun -

I am doing my own training plan - If I stick to once a day running (Plus crosstraining) I will peak @  100 MPW

I am splitting the difference between Marathon Training and 50 mile training - the 50 mile race is 19 days after Boston

My goal for Boston is to just enjoy the day and the womens' trials the day before

I am in the middle of my 6th week back post injury (12 weeks  off)

Last Sunday / Monday was back to back long days with 32/22 miles - I will do that every 4 weeks.

Good luck in your training -

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...