Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2527 Views 18 Replies Latest reply: Dec 31, 2007 7:56 AM by kommish777 1 2 Previous Next
kommish777 Rookie 23 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 25, 2007 5:52 AM

Merry Christmas.....

enjoy all the gifts you receive but don't forget about the greatest gift ever given.... Salvation through God's own son Jesus. Yes, today is a celebration of Jesus' birth (in theory, not in practice obviously) and most people aren't offended by the baby Jesus in the manger. What offends people is that the baby Jesus grew up to be a man, a sinless man who went to the cross for your sins and mine, who was buried, and who rose again, so that our relationship with God could be restored. That is what offends people.

So on this Christmas day, remember, Jesus didn't stay a baby.... he became a sacrifice.

Merry Christmas

• Ray Andrews Rookie 226 posts since
    Dec 6, 2007
    1. Dec 25, 2007 2:47 PM (in response to kommish777)
    Re: Merry Christmas.....

"And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us."  (John 1:14)

Manifestation. 

"The proof of the pudding is in the eating."  "Show me, or bite me."  "Fish, or cut bait."

Where is the Lord God of Elijah?  He is with usJesus!  "EmmanuelGod with us!"  In our mouths and in our hearts, the Word of faith which we preach--"that if you profess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved." (Romans 10:8-9)

Jesus saying "when you've seen Me you've seen the Father" is not simply a philosophical preceptit is an example.  "I in them, and You in Me, that they may be perfect in one, and that the world may know that You have sent Me." (John 17:23)  Does the world see Jesus in us, Kommish?  They say they don't.  And likewise they say they don't believe the Father sent Jesusor at least they don't believe He is what we make Him out to be.

Let time tell.  Let the seasons yet run their course.  Let the winds of change blow, let the rains descend, let the flood come; the one whose house is built on the Rock will stand.

Improvement in runningfor me, at leastseems to be connected with incremental changes in small things:  a few seconds gained in 400 meters, a little less fatigue in two hours of steady-state running, less quad burn going down those same hills, etc.  Manifestation of who we are in Christ Jesus is like that:  a little less fear, a little more patience, fewer regrets, more awareness of God's hand guiding our steps, our actions, our words & thoughts.

Let this be for usyou and me, Kommisha time of reflection, of thanksgiving for all that is ours because of what Jesus did for us, and all that can be for anyone who turns to Him with all their heart.

Feliz Navidad!

(P.S. - I'm starting to seriously look at coming to Michigan on vacation in late May or early June.   Be sure and e-mail me with how to contact you when I'm there.  You still have my e-mail address don't you?  Or I suppose you could send me one of these-here PM's if I can figure out how they work--oh, and please tell me how to reply with quotes in here; I haven't discovered how to do that one yet.  Thanks!)

• Jim Sullivan032 Rookie 504 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Dec 28, 2007 9:31 AM (in response to kommish777)

Kommish,

You really had me going. For a minute there, I actually thought you were going to post something positive about religion. Even though it turned out to be disappointing, I still want to give you credit for trying.

Dec 6, 2007
    4. Dec 28, 2007 10:13 AM (in response to kommish777)

Kommish,

e-mail is andrewspr@juno.com

If I do get to Michigan in that time frame, I'll try to give you lots of advance notice.

Dec 6, 2007
    5. Dec 28, 2007 10:34 AM (in response to Jim Sullivan032)

Jim Sullivan032 wrote:

Kommish,

You really had me going. For a minute there, I actually thought you were going to post something positive about religion. Even though it turned out to be disappointing, I still want to give you credit for trying.

Ah, this quote thingy works!  Hallelujah!

Jim,

Religion is like fish...there are many varieties; some are stronger-tasting than others.

What can I say about fish that is "positive"?  They're fairly easy to come by, if you're patient and have the right tools.  It's not as easy to get rabbit or cow or pig on your dinner table--takes a longer time and a lot more effort.  Fishing is a leisurely enterprise.  And it's fairly relaxing, even when you come back empty-handed.  And if you go to the trouble to go out in a boat in the surf and angle for the big ones, it's really a thrill.

What you have to watch out for in fish is, where you catch them the waters might be polluted.  Mercury and garbage and medical waste are icreasingly becoming hazards of fish consumption.  If you're going to eat fish, be sure to cook them throroughly.

Now, do I need to spell out my analogy for you?  There's lots of religions out there; some are bland, others quite unique, even outrageous sometimes.  Religious knowledge is easier to acquire than, say, musical knowledge or aviation knowledge.  It's usually offered to the public free of charge (discounting the usual pleas for contributions).  You can becoming conversant in most religions fairly quickly compared to many others fields of human study.  And you can usually do it on your own time and at your own pace (except in cases like entering a monastery or whatever).  And studying religion is generally enlightening even to those who end up putting it down and saying, "Aw I don't believe any of that."  But then sometimes people light upon understandings of spiritual things that can be downright exciting!

Of course, some religious ideas are toxic; you have to carefully judge the integrity and trustworthiness of the output sources (the ones/ ones spouting it); this is why Ias a person who is generally considered to be "religious" (after all, I do work in a Christian ministry)generally encourage people to meet me in person and get a feel for whether or not I am an okay-kind-of guy.  And I fully expect that anything I sayhere or elsewhereabout God will need to be thoroughly "cooked":  Don't just take my word for it, analyze and sift through what I say and weigh it against other things you know to be true.

But then, here's the rub:  What exactly DO people "know to be true" any more?  Are we not, as a society, rather lazy when it comes to the business of pursuing and weighing truth?  Have we not, as a society, eaten the hemlock of relativism to the point that we, like Pontius Pilate, tend to shrug and say, "What IS truth?"

Positive religion is something you can bass your life on and view reality from a new perch; or, if you prefer, you can flounder about.

Holy mackerel!  It's Friday!  Time to go to Dan's Seafood and get me some Catfish Filet!

Happy New Year to you.

• BrettBH Rookie 40 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    6. Dec 28, 2007 10:52 AM (in response to Jim Sullivan032)

Jim,

What he said is positive. I celebrate the birth of Jesus, but I am in awe of His sacrafice for my sins! What could be more positive then that?

Dec 14, 2007
    7. Dec 28, 2007 12:03 PM (in response to BrettBH)
    BrettBH wrote:

Jim,

What he said is positive. I celebrate the birth of Jesus, but I am in awe of His sacrafice for my sins! What could be more positive then that?

Dude, it wasn't that long of a post. Would it really have been that difficult to read the whole thing?

Dec 14, 2007
    8. Dec 28, 2007 12:21 PM (in response to Jim Sullivan032)

Still trying to find the "dissappointment". Like you said, it's not that long of a post.

Dec 14, 2007
    9. Dec 28, 2007 12:34 PM (in response to BrettBH)

BrettBH wrote:

Still trying to find the "dissappointment".

OK, let us know when you get caught up.

Dec 14, 2007
    10. Dec 28, 2007 12:52 PM (in response to Jim Sullivan032)

Jim,

You wanna humor me and let me know what in Kommish's post is "disappointing"? I eagerly await your wisdom, dude.

Dec 14, 2007
    11. Dec 28, 2007 1:05 PM (in response to BrettBH)

BrettBH wrote:

Jim,

You wanna humor me and let me know what in Kommish's post is "disappointing"? I eagerly await your wisdom, dude.

Wisdom? To recognize the bitterness in a guy who can't post a simple Christmas greeting without going off on a rant about people being "offended" by his beliefs? That doesn't require wisdom. Mere literacy will do.

Dec 14, 2007
    12. Dec 28, 2007 1:29 PM (in response to Jim Sullivan032)

You have got to get that burr out from under your saddle, Jim. I don't see a rant or take offense to what Kommish wrote.

I'm not going to read too much into Kommish's comment other then some Christians do lose sight of the big event. Birth of the Christ child is awesome, but it is through His death and ressurection that my sins have been washed.

I've been on this board for over a year, Coolrunning anyway, and on this board Christians are attacked. I can understand why his posting is proactively defensive.

Dec 14, 2007
    13. Dec 28, 2007 1:59 PM (in response to BrettBH)

BrettBH wrote:

... I can understand why his posting is proactively defensive.

I knew you'd see my point eventually. Was that really so hard?

Dec 6, 2007
    14. Dec 28, 2007 5:37 PM (in response to Jim Sullivan032)

Jim Sullivan032 wrote:

...recognize the bitterness in a guy who can't post a simple Christmas greeting without going off on a rant about people being "offended" by his beliefs...

You're missing his point.  He's not expressing bitterness over people not agreeing with his beliefs.  (In fact, I'd say you're reading something into it to characaterize his OP as "bitter" in any way.)  He's just saying people are offended by the message that they are sinners who need saving and that Jesus' death on the cross is the only thing that offers salvation.  He's right, you know--that message does tend to get under a person's skin until they come to grips with it.  But the fact that it's Kommish's belief has nothing to do with people being offended.  And he himself is not bitter about it, at least I perceive him to be...are you, Kommish?.  

And anyway, why should what someone else believes offend me?  It doesn't.  Someone can say they believe there is no God at all, and I'm not personally offended by that--heck, how could I be, since I'm not God?  I may think that person is wrong about what I consider life's most important question, and I might be "concerned" for them; but "bitter"?  Nah.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...