Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2006 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Dec 31, 2007 11:44 AM by Yo Sake
LeftRightRepeat Pro 1,452 posts since
Aug 16, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 29, 2007 7:01 AM

Workouts - Saturday, Dec 29 - Wounded Knee

On this day in 1890, in the final chapter of America's long Indian wars, the U.S. Cavalry kills 146 Sioux at Wounded Knee on the Pine Ridge reservation in South Dakota.

I had all kinds of plans for an early morning workout... In the end, the kids wanted to make waffles. And so we did.  I'll get something later.

Find common ground, tri-peeps.

• niemsco Legend 189 posts since
    Sep 24, 2007
    1. Dec 29, 2007 7:16 AM (in response to LeftRightRepeat)
    Re: Workouts - Saturday, Dec 29 - Wounded Knee

Great! I thought you guys might have left this site but I'm glad you didn't. I admit I was posting over there to check it out.

I'm in a 4 week transition period before building for IM AZ, just finished week 1 (but I'll probably sneak something in tomorrow). Today started off with a run outside, but storms came through and it was way too icy. Didn't want to break a leg before the season. So treadmill workout. 15 minute warmup, then 25 minutes at 7:40ish, 1% incline. That's it for the day. XTERRA US championships are on later today.

• neildonnelly Rookie 443 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Dec 29, 2007 7:25 AM (in response to LeftRightRepeat)

Rest day for me today - at least from training - The plan is this evening after work to do a load of cooking

Mainly because Billy the Veg (nice man who runs the saturday market Vegetable stall) has just handed me a couple of bags of veg  as he has too much stuff left

SO I can forsee Roast Tomatoe and Red onion Soup -Leek and Potatoe Soup- Ratitoille  and as I spied some mushrooms and peppers I think I will make up a big batch of Pizza Dough and have some pizzas with the kids tomorrow - They love throwing the dough around the kitchen - I was shown how to spin pizza dough many years ago in New Jersey but my boys just use it as an excuse to try and get the dough to stick to the ceiling 

Have a good weekend  Tri peeps

Neil 

• ericd256 Legend 442 posts since
    Nov 30, 2007
    3. Dec 29, 2007 7:44 AM (in response to LeftRightRepeat)

was gonna swim but the pool looked cold and murky so i went a hot tubbing for an hour. in case you are counting there are exactly  7 hours and 16 mins left until i get a day off.

• hobey014 Rookie 887 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. Dec 29, 2007 7:55 AM (in response to LeftRightRepeat)

Another rest day. I dressed to go out for a run with BrewDad and nearly did a faceplant on the ice-covered road. I turned around and went back into the house. Got to commend you folks who deal with real winter. The salt trucks finally came out *after* I finished my shower. Roads should be good to go tomorrow. Hockey game later at the Joe.

• ussoccer Rookie 1,412 posts since
    Dec 11, 2007
    5. Dec 29, 2007 5:16 PM (in response to LeftRightRepeat)

Go Patriots!

LRR: Wounded Knee? Don't scare me like that. Just seeing the head line put a fright in me that I might lose my running mate for another month.

Was ready to follow you all over to our new home, only the new home was dead. So here I am, to post away.

Me...

50K (31 miles) race out in North Adams, MA called the Fat *** 50K. Race report (hopefully) to follow. In short, I think I can do this ultra stuff. Each of my laps (5 in total) were incrementally faster.

Stats:

50K (31 miles)

4:08:01

2nd Place Overall of 38 (38 showed toed the line, but I don't know how many were not trying to go the whole way)

So I drove a total of 6 hours to run a sliver over 4 hours. Seems fair. Beats slapping yet more paint on the walls of my old house.

Go Pats!

• TriAndStopMe Rookie 30 posts since
    Sep 27, 2007
    6. Dec 29, 2007 5:26 PM (in response to ussoccer)

w00t!  Way to go, Thor!   2nd place on your first (?) Ultra?  Um, yeah, I think you can safely say that ultras are in your wheelhouse.

Did you get a gold-plated Fat *** as hardware?

• ussoccer Rookie 1,412 posts since
    Dec 11, 2007
    7. Dec 29, 2007 5:44 PM (in response to TriAndStopMe)

TriAndStopMe wrote:

w00t! Way to go, Thor! 2nd place on your first (?) Ultra? Um, yeah, I think you can safely say that ultras are in your wheelhouse.

Did you get a gold-plated Fat *** as hardware?

No! But I did get a big hairy Sore A$$ from the long drive. Works like a shiny medal, as it's a constant reminder of the day.

As for 2nd place, I think it's a bit misleading. There were 38 people who signed in. But not all 38 had intended to go all the way. Not sure how many really tried. I do know that there were at least 5 who wanted to go all the way but cut their race short for various reasons. So we'll say 25. So maybe I was 2 of 25. Hopefully I can whip together a race report tomorrow, because it was really cool the mind games I played. In fact, there was one point where I was pretending I was leading the race. As I completed loop 3, now going on to 4, I realized that it might not be a make believe tactic I conjured to keep me focused, because just there, at the sign in table where you record your laps, I saw two guys who I knew to be ahead of me. They both dropped out. That left one guy up ahead -- I think! because I wasn't entirely sure -- and one guy who I ran lap 2 with who I knew wasn't far behind me but was far enough out of eyeshot. So to keep me running strong, I pretended I was winning. As just mentioned, by lap 4 I was thrust into the rather unexpected realization that it might be so, but then at the end I learned that I was not. Fun. Other mind games too. I hope to share them in my race report, because I know some of you might find it interesting how primative these things can be.

• niemsco Legend 189 posts since
    Sep 24, 2007
    8. Dec 29, 2007 5:50 PM (in response to ussoccer)

That's awesome!  4:08 is a pretty awesome time for a 50K regardless.   Plus I bet the conditions were probably less than ideal.

• Yo Sake Rookie 19 posts since
    Oct 5, 2007
    9. Dec 31, 2007 11:44 AM (in response to LeftRightRepeat)

LRR - nice history lesson today, quite a coincidence.  I just read about this battle in National Museum of American Indians yesterday.  (We just came back from a week-long trip away from home including a visit D.C.).  I enjoyed the museum very much because it houses not only lots of THEIR stories before/after 1492 but focuses on THIER lives TODAY.  

1hr swim planned as a recovery as soon as DH returns from his recovery workout.  I managed to run 35miles last week, in addition to all the walking around the DC (and lots of standing/waiting, urg!!).  Very very tiring.  I don't know how those runners whose jobs require lots of standing/walking run day in and day out!!  The DC area has great trails with beautiful views - you guys in the area are lucky.    

Live in peace! 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...