Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1261 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 30, 2007 1:33 PM by VictorN
davecamire Amateur 87 posts since
Sep 27, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 29, 2007 10:27 AM

Forum Update

Hi Folks,

I want to give you an update on our progress with the Cool Running forums. I've read several complaints that the progress has been slow and I am hoping you will give us a pass since these two weeks are consumed with Christmas and New Years. Nevertheless we continued working on improvements and you'll begin seeing results real soon.

First and foremost the biggest complaint surrounds logging into the system. This is a bug that we did not anticipate and when we transitioned over. This is our top priority and I want to assure you that we are working on resolving this problem. We have also received other suggestions such as improved navigation between forums, changing the width of the forum page and adding a signatures feature. One of the first changes you'll see is new navigational tools added next week.

We will also be posting polls on various suggestions to gauge their importance among community members. The will help us in prioritizing. I can't promise we can deliver on all of your suggestions, but I promise we will let you know the reason if we cannot.

Our new forum software has a host of features that were not available previously. Below is a list of what is available to you. Our plan is to continue to add to this feature list based on the input we get from you.

• Blog - We finally have a blog tool and it has some neat features.

• Rich Text Editor - Great for cross platform exchange of documents. I used it to produce this post.

• Image picker - This feature allows participants to choose or upload an image and position it within their post.

• Attach files - you can now attach photos, videos, documents to your posts.

• Include images - Many of you are already including images in your posts.

• Embed Active or YouTube videos -I can see a lot of uses of this feature such training videos, race reports, etc.

• User Profiles & Directory - We had this in our other forum, however it was an add-on. Now it is fully integrated.

• Search forum contents - Because our old server could not handle the load we had to shut off this feature. The Active search is much more robust.

• Search for users based on profile content - Another neat search feature.

• View as PDF - Ability to save the discussion as a printable document.

• Tag clouds - Provides a visual depiction of tags with the most popular being larger.

• Tag filtering - View of messages by tag.

• Personalized RSS - You can now feed of your posts for syndication to other blogs and websites.

• Personalized email notification - This is one of my favorite features since it lets me know when someone has replied to my post. BTW this feature can be turned off for those who do not want to receive notification.

• Automatic content relation and suggestion - System automatically searches and displays suggested and related threads.

• Avatars - You can now include an avatar from our library or use you own customized avatar.

When Kevin and I started Cool Running 13 years ago it was because we were both avid runners - we still are! We want this site to continue being all about running. I promise that we will continue to work to make Cool Running the best running site possible. My hope is that you will continue to keep the discussion on our boards about running since this is the reason we are all here on Cool Running. For those who have suggestions on improving this community please feel free to post them in on the Suggestion Box - we are reading them. And for those trolls who are bent on the destruction of this forum . . . well I'll keep those thoughts to myself since it is the holiday season.!http://community.active.com/images/emoticons/wink.gif!

Thanks for listening and I'll post another update when we have made further progress. Happy New Year!

• ericd256 Legend 442 posts since
    Nov 30, 2007
    1. Dec 29, 2007 10:14 AM (in response to davecamire)
    Re: Forum Update

Thanks  for the update.   I hope it came in time. It was  the coolrunnnig site that helped me get off  my fat butt last year with

the C25K.

• pcsronbo006 Legend 1,323 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Dec 29, 2007 7:27 PM (in response to davecamire)

Thank you for the update Dave. Although I cannot speak for everyone, I can empathize that the transition was "hard" I've been a part of many software projects and not of them successful. I feel your pain. Almost all of these failed projects were because the "suits" made the decisions, not the users.

Although the new Active site boasts many new features the likes of which I've not seem elsewhere (all together), this seems like a classic example of not actually asking the USERS what they like and want.

Let me wrap it up for you in a nutshell of what I think the priorities should be (have been):

1. The ability to log in quickly and easily (and only once would be nice).

2. The ability to post quickly and easily.

3. Cool new features.

4. Reasonable Ads (we get it. This is free to us and you gotta pay the bills)

And then maybe asked "so, when do people use the site most" (not backed by any facts, just observation)

1. When screwing around at work

2. When on holiday vacations

I think the reason many of the CRMS folk have bailed over to other sites is that those sites are fast, easy to use, and well... they work.  The Active beta site was up for some time... months if I remember right? Before someone pulled the trigger (before a holiday no less) you would have thought the killer bugs would have been flushed out. That was a mistake, a big one. It gave a bunch of Type A folks the opportunity to WANT to use the site but got continually hammered by the same old bugs. Follow that with a lack of communication on the status of things = FRUSTRATION.

Please do not get me wrong. I do not intend any personal offense, as I expect you are now one of many and have to report to others (guessing).  I am eternally grateful for this wonderful world which you helped create. Because of CR I've met MANY of my "imaginary" friends from across the country (about a dozen or so). Run places I'd never have run, gotten free advice from people who truly care, helped many others with free advice of my own, found my coach of now 4 years, and so on. It's been a central part of an amazing transformation from a lard *** 322lb fatty who had NEVER run a mile to a multi Ironman 70.3 - 229lb fit person. And CR was a part of that. Support when I needed it from people I've never met. How amazing is that?

But the fact of the matter is "mob rules". You have to give the mob what they want, if you want the mob to keep pounding the site so your advertisers can get their exposure.

What we want is simple. Yes, simple. A Simple and Functional site.

Best of luck with that, I really do hope you succeed. Maybe some of the CRMS crew will return. Maybe not, I don't know. All I know is I'm going to hang with my "friends" whereever they end up going. If nothing else, best of luck in all future endeavors and keep running!

• LeftRightRepeat Pro 1,452 posts since
    Aug 16, 2007
    3. Dec 29, 2007 8:55 PM (in response to davecamire)

Please accept what follows as constructive criticism...

First and foremost the biggest complaint surrounds logging into the system. This is a bug that we did not anticipate and when we transitioned over.

How could you possibly not have anticipated this? Did you think we wouldn't log in?

We will also be posting polls on various suggestions to gauge their importance among community members. The will help us in prioritizing.

Why didn't you do this before the move?  It's not like you didn't know we were coming.

• Blog - We finally have a blog tool and it has some neat features.

Oh goodie.  Do you know how many blog sites there are these days? What makes you think that any of us who don't already have a blog are now gonna want one just because there is one more?

• Rich Text Editor - Great for cross platform exchange of documents. I used it to produce this post.

Yah... But it blows.  You can't even paste into it! Have you tried manipulating quotes in it?

• Image picker - This feature allows participants to choose or upload an image and position it within their post.

OK, cool feature. I actually love not having to upload to someplace else first.

• Attach files - you can now attach photos, videos, documents to your posts.

Personally, I didn't find a use for this.

• Include images - Many of you are already including images in your posts.

Uh... Didn't you already mention this as "Image Picker"?

• Embed Active or YouTube videos -I can see a lot of uses of this feature such training videos, race reports, etc.

• User Profiles & Directory - We had this in our other forum, however it was an add-on. Now it is fully integrated.

All I can say is "about time". We found workarounds years ago.

• Search forum contents - Because our old server could not handle the load we had to shut off this feature. The Active search is much more robust.

I musta missed this 'cuz I couldn't find a search feature when I looked.

• Search for users based on profile content - Another neat search feature.

• View as PDF - Ability to save the discussion as a printable document.

• Tag clouds - Provides a visual depiction of tags with the most popular being larger.

• Tag filtering - View of messages by tag.

• Personalized RSS - You can now feed of your posts for syndication to other blogs and websites.

• Personalized email notification - This is one of my favorite features since it lets me know when someone has replied to my post. BTW this feature can be turned off for those who do not want to receive notification.

Yah... But it'd be neat if it worked. Seemed like there was a huge delay in turning it on and off.

• Automatic content relation and suggestion - System automatically searches and displays suggested and related threads.

• Avatars - You can now include an avatar from our library or use you own customized avatar.

Again, welcome to the 90's.

Just my thoughts. It's hard not to "bash" but I'm trying to give you some honest feedback.

• VictorN Rookie 395 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. Dec 30, 2007 1:33 PM (in response to davecamire)

If I may offer some constructive criticism as possibly my last post here at Active.

It amazes me that nobody (apparently) thought out the transition.  Active should have had this site up and running for at least a few weeks and allowed people to test it out before closing down the old CR forum.  That would have allowed you to get some feedback and workout the bugs beforehand; it would have prevented the migration to runningahead and kickrunning. 

It appears to me that Active has a "we know more than our customers do" attitude, which is fatal in a market with low barriers to entry. 

Victor

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...