Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

9146 Views 117 Replies Latest reply: Dec 30, 2007 6:02 PM by EIgirl Go to original post 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 Previous Next
  • mtnchk1 Pro 286 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

YAY!!  Isn't Nick AWESOME!!!!!!

btw Nick....I've discovered that once in awhile it's kinda nice to take the ipod - helps distract my sometimes toooo active "messin'" w/daily 'stuff' brain cells by listening to mellow massage music (variety - instrumental w/nature sounds) via one earbud..... 1.) quite pleasant @ softening tfc sounds - yet I can still hear all that I need to & 2.) it's difficult to push it too hard w/such relaxing music !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/wink.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/wink.gif|border=0!........

----

We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

• jodigirl928 Rookie 33 posts since
    Mar 6, 2006

Nick, I love you!!!  I am run/walking my first HM in 3 weeks and was trying not to let my self feel like a failure for not being able to run it all..  My ratio is 2min run/1 min walk.  This works for me for this distance.

Thanks for your wisdom.

Jodi

• BrentM Rookie 45 posts since
    Sep 18, 2007

Hi Nick,

I have another question for you. I'm about half way through my C25K program and I was reading all the threads about LHR training so I decided to get a HRM and try it out on my run yesterday.

I was shocked at how slow I had to go to keep my HR under 144.

Here's my question--do you suggest that people do this LHR training at this early of a stage in their program or is it something that I should wait for until I'm getting more MPW?

• macd019 Pro 709 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

Nick, could you comment on (or point me somewhere that does) increasing running days? I have been doing C25Kwith a few weeks off for traveling and a couple weeks repeatedsince mid-July (I'm finishing W7). Shin splints have been my biggest problem any time I've tried to run in the past, and I now know that was from trying to do too much too fast; I haven't had much problem at all with them as I've followed this program. My legs are pleasantly tired, but not sore, at the end of the 25-minute runs. On my "off" days I usually walk, but are there reasons I shouldn't add some "slogging" if I feel like it?

Thanks for sharing your insights & experiences with us!

• macd019 Pro 709 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

Thanks, Nick, I shall do that. Maybe I'll go back to taking our dogs when I walk. They throw my stride off too much for running, but I can handle them when I walk. I'm sure they could use the exercise too--and better outdoors than running laps in my house!

• Iamfinallyarunner Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

Wow, I can believe that I made it through all of the replies but I'm so glad I did.  How encouraged I am!!!  I completed the C25K program a few years ago and actually ran a 5K.  I pushed myself to run the entire race (although I am a slow runner) and injured myself - pain in the front of my legs.  So, I had to take time off to heal...and have not gone back to running.  Well, I did try about 6 months ago but it panned out.  Everytime I see someone running I yearn to start again but I think I've been feeling like I'm getting too old, too sore, etc.  Those of you who are 50+ (I am 51) have encouraged me to put those thoughts behind me and just get started.  I think I will take your advise Nick and just start with walking and gradually start incorporating running...but very slowly.  I have the rest of my life to RUN!!!!!!!!

----

Don't you just love running!!!

finally

• mtnchk1 Pro 286 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

~~~~~~~~~BUMP!!!~~~~~~~~~~~

:d:d:d:

• Fatdude Rookie 93 posts since
    Dec 27, 2005

Well folks!  If you haven't started listening to Nick you are heading down the wrong road.

I met Nick a few months ago on the LHR thread in Basic Training. After reading thirty somes pages of the thread, all the supplemental information I could find and ordering two books online I gave the approach a try.

Three miles was forever a barrier for me until that day. I have not been perfect with my heart rate monitor. I have seen a few days where I got frustrated and just ran comfortably, darn the heart rate. But today, in the rain, 80 degrees and 87% humidity, I went six miles.

That's right, SIX MILES!! A goal I have set for myself was a half marathon. Not because I need to do it, but because I want to do it. Thanks to Nick, Jesse, Jim and all the other regular posters in the ow heart rate thread I am well on my way to training for my goal of that Half!

Listen carefully, apply the principles and run slower than you have ever thought you could. It will work for you if you let it...

Peace...

Kent

----

"One foot in front of the other"
    ME[/URL" target="_blank">

• EIgirl Community Moderator 395 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

Bumping for New Newbies.......................

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...