Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

29121 Views 245 Replies Latest reply: Jan 4, 2008 7:41 PM by ksrunr Go to original post 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 Previous Next
  • ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    225. Dec 30, 2007 7:00 PM (in response to JPGarland)
    Re: 50+ December 2007 Thread (Active.com)

JP and all - thanks for the support.  I have decided to go for the 3:00 time.  Even if I blow up I think I will be fine for my original goal of 3:10.  The Boston BQ is soft so I know I can make that as well.

"(No comments please KS.) "   I'll hunt with any dog that'll go.  I'm a Wichita State Baseball fan, a Jayhawk basketball fan, and usually a K-State football fan.  Sometimes have to reverse KU/Kstate depending on the year.

No I'm going to look at your dvd link.

ks

• OldXCguy Pro 194 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    226. Dec 31, 2007 6:33 AM (in response to ksrunr)

Help, I'm being spammed by Cool Running/Active.com!  My mailbox has 25-30 messages a day notifying me of anyone replying on any thread on which I have ever posted anything.  I changed my preferences to not have Email notifications sent to me (I think the default setting is that Email notices are sent when someone posts on a thread on which one has previously posted), but I'm still getting them.  Perhaps it's Cool Running's way of reminding me that I haven't posted on here lately.  Honest,  I haven't gone elsewhere.  I've just been busy with holiday activities.  I'm still lurking, just not posting.  Does anyone know how to stop the spam?

• fred-urie Legend 830 posts since
    Dec 17, 2007
    227. Dec 31, 2007 7:41 AM (in response to Jim24315)

Jim24315 wrote:

Welcome Kanaka,

There are some good people here and they can run too! I think we could field a couple teams in both 50's and 60's divisions that would given even the toughest clubs a run for their money.

Stick around...

Welcome Kanaka.

Dec 17, 2007
    228. Dec 31, 2007 7:45 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Monday Dec. 31

AM 25 minute warmup, indoor track

15 minutes of rolling 60's @ 5:00 to 5:15 pace with a 15 second jog

( last 2 @ sub 5 minute pace )

20 minute warmdown

30 minutes of functional integrated resistance training

• ptbrown Legend 422 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    229. Dec 31, 2007 7:57 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Welcome, Kanaka.

OldXCguy,  check the previous pages for explanations on how to stop the spam.

5 miles slowly in bright sunshine and newly fallen snow.

• Sun Raider Legend 371 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    230. Dec 31, 2007 8:42 AM (in response to OldXCguy)

This email notification is a minor pain. I have turned off all of the notification preferences and still they come.

Jim, I tried your method but they don't stop. I even went into My Active and tried. Luckily mine go to my trash file and are deleted pretty regularly.

If all else fails then filter the subject "New message" to trash. Gets it every time.

Raider

• Jim24315 Legend 1,987 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    231. Dec 31, 2007 8:54 AM (in response to ptbrown)

You're going to be a fit old man, Fred, if you keep up with all that gym stuff. It's on my "should" list where it will most likely stay for at least a while.

Joe; I haven't tried running barefoot except in the living room and hallway. The grass I run on is nice, but not that nice. I'd be too afraid of stepping on something. I do run a high pct of mileage in racing flats though, including long runs. When I don't wear those it's lightweight trainers in 9 oz, 10 oz range.

Still haven't run but will get out in an hour or so. We're getting into Cal version of north east winters. Wind, rain and "cold" (40's-50's) forecast for much of the coming week.

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    232. Dec 31, 2007 9:22 AM (in response to Jim24315)

Walked six miles yesterday, jogging the uphills and my foot felt okay afterwards.  I think I will walk more.  It's good for you.

I have to work today.  January includes trips to Pittsburgh, Boston, Minneapolis, Tacoma and Sioux City.  Busy me.

Welcome Kanaka.   Spareribs

Dec 17, 2007
    233. Dec 31, 2007 10:07 AM (in response to Spareribs823)

Ribs, do you do this?

Functional resistance training:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj4L-FHXGRc&feature=user

• Kanaka Amateur 18 posts since
    Jun 19, 2003
    234. Dec 31, 2007 10:59 AM (in response to JPGarland)

JPGarland, Spareribs, thanks for the welcome. Will continue here.

• Canfit Legend 1,055 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    235. Dec 31, 2007 1:17 PM (in response to JPGarland)

Finished off 2007 with a 6.0 mile easy recovery run @9:59 pace. 2007 was my best year of running in the four that I've been at it. Logged 2148 miles, ending with 204 in December. Not sure what next year will bring ... I may look back and say that this was my all-time record. The highlight was my September marathon which was my first sub 4-hour, first complete marathon running start to finish, and helped qualify me for Boston in 2008. With the exception of the regular aches and pains that come with age, it was also an injury-free year.

Just wanted to add that I've enjoyed the running discussions on this thread during the past year. Thanks for sharing. I hope they continue, but also hope we attract more of a following.

Hope you all have a great New Year and fantastic running in 2008. That includes you too Spareribs, once you solve your latest injury.

Btw - my son gave me a great book this Christmas - "The Boston Marathon ... a Century of Blood, Sweat, and Cheers". You may already have seen/read it, but I thoroughly enjoyed it and it has got me pumped for the big event this coming April.

PJ

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    236. Dec 31, 2007 5:07 PM (in response to Kanaka)

Anyone notice this thread has over 5000 views?

Another 4 miles on XC skis today. Jim, I'd describe classic XC skiing as running in slow motion. Everything's exaggerated, but you plant one foot and drive with one arm just as in running. Today's 4 miles give me 28 on the skis in seven 4 mile increments. Back, shoulders and arms are defintely benefiting.

Whether it translates into faster times for me remains to be seen, but miracles do happen...

Another welcome Kanaka.

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• OldXCguy Pro 194 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    238. Dec 31, 2007 2:41 PM (in response to JPGarland)

JPG, thanks for your kind words. I'm very happy to be here. As I noted, with all the holiday activities, I've been a bit lazy about posting. I guess I wasn't even lurking well, because I didn't notice that many people were receiving the same flood of Emails that I am. As you have noticed, I do also spend a lot of time over at Letsrun.

In 1999, I joined a gym that opened near my office. While I had worked out at home for many years, it was my first time at a gym. Subsequently, a couple of newer fitness centers have opened in my immediate area. With each new opening, the masses have flocked to the latest, greatest facitility. I, on the other hand, enjoy the comfort and convenience of staying at the same place. Eventually they may close, as the competition becomes too strong, but until then I plan to stay there. Given that history, I don't see myself leaving my buddies at CoolRunning anytime soon.

I read your question to Jim about running on grass with great interest, as I too am always looking for off-road surfaces. About 75% of my running is on relatively smooth dirt trails (i.e. not too many rocks and roots, although I always seem to find something on which to stumble). I've noticed the last few days that I feel somewhat beat up, with various aches, and then I realized that most of my runs for the last couple of weeks have been on pavement, due to the snow and ice. I've managed a couple of recent forays on the trails, and I'm hoping the weather will improve enough for me to get back to them with regularity.

Fred, I totally agree that most of our loss of speed with age is related to decreased stride length. I have slowed disproportionately to my age, due I believe, to chronic soreness and shortening of my hamstrings. I do a lot of functional training similar to what you describe, but perhaps I need to become more rigorous in following a program. The problem is finding time, as I already log a load of mileage, and I make an effort to maintain a strengthening regimen in order to have at least some balance of musculature in my upper body. The biggest problem I see with the video you posted is that the woman on it is way too hot, so I coudn't focus on what she was saying.   I'm going to need to go back and have another look.

Happy New Year everyone! See you on the January thread.

• ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    239. Dec 31, 2007 3:09 PM (in response to OldXCguy)

She was talking?  I could never hire her as a personal trainer.

ks

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...