Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

28799 Views 245 Replies Latest reply: Jan 4, 2008 7:41 PM by ksrunr RSS Go to original post 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 Previous Next
  • FlyingFinn Amateur 11 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    240. Dec 31, 2007 4:59 PM (in response to JPGarland)
    Re: 50+ December 2007 Thread (Active.com)

Welcome to Kanaka. I haven't posted in several days but sure have been swamped by emails from the website. I need to go back and read how to turn the durn things off. Today I did 15 slow on soft wet dirt. I love the trail because it is so forgiving. I may be tired afterwards but don't usually feel beat up. I hate pavement pounding for long runs. Also I end up running 1 to 1.5 minutes per mile slower than on the roads. I am more relaxed and not always checking my Garmin to try to keep a certain pace. I think I got myself into trouble with my last injury by trying to do my long runs too fast. At times I head to the trail to purposely slow myself down because I know that if I use the street I will do it too fast. (Using the word fast very loosely). Spareribs, I also liked to walk when I was injured and never got bored, even with walks as long as 10.

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    241. Dec 31, 2007 6:47 PM (in response to fred-urie)

Fred, are you trying to give me a heart attack?  Holy *&%$ is that woman hot or what?  I'm glad now that my wife doesn't post here on Active any more, as she would be upset if she knew I would love to jump the woman in that video.

Two years ago I had a strain in the abdominis rectus, and my PT had me doing all those pulley and stretch pull exercises.  The strap I have is the one that you put in the hinge of your closet door, and I did a ton of those exercises.  I don't do those any more, but they sure helped me back then.

I am glad XC Guy and FF chipped in on soft surface runs. While I am walking on dirt now for a different reason, it was Jim who convinced me of running on grass.  We have many runs we all do during the week, that are meant to be done slowly, so why beat ourselves up on pavement?  If you can find grass or another soft surface, it is a great way to sustain training and give the joints a break.  Spareribs

• Jim24315 Legend 1,987 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    242. Dec 31, 2007 10:07 PM (in response to ksrunr)

Nice going on the 15 today, Flying Finn.

Ribs, I sure hope the grass running and all the other stuff you are doing will turn things around for you in '08. You are due, buddy.

I ran 7 this morning at just over 8-minute pace, then came back just before dusk to get 4 more and break my all-time record. It bumped my total up to 2,746 to nose out the 2,745 I ran in '89.

And to think that Fred averaged 140 one year. That comes out to 7,540 for full year!

Happy New Year All!

Jim

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
  • ABD Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 27, 2007
    244. Jan 4, 2008 6:56 PM (in response to JPGarland)
          • 50+ Group.  I'm 52 and this is my first time e-mailing.  I have used Active.com for many years - not sure why all the changes, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.  I've been running on and off  for 32 years.  This year I'm trying to get back to running 5ks.  Here's to 2008!

• ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    245. Jan 4, 2008 7:41 PM (in response to ABD)

Welcome ABD.  We start a new thread every month for the 50+.   Why don't you repost in the Jan thread so we don't miss ya.

ksrunr

1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...