Skip navigation

2410 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 1, 2008 4:47 PM by culinarydoctor RSS
culinarydoctor Expert 77 posts since
Oct 31, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 19, 2007 9:46 PM

San Francisco to vote on high sugar beverage tax?

Saw something on the news about how "The City" is trying to impose a new tax on drinks that are high in sugar.  What do you think; would that change people's consumption choices?  Is it unethical to tax alcohol and cigarettes just because they are health hazards?  Anyone care to comment on the potential dangers of sugar free counterparts?

Hey kids, just say no to HFCS.

• Wilco Community Moderator 58 posts since
    Jul 8, 2007

If you asked this a few months ago I would probably disagree, but after taking a class on regulatory policy and doing a case study on the FDA, I am more likely to consider this a good policy.

When regulating you have to determine the intent of the manufacturers. Clearly, HFCS is an unnecessary additive and there many substitutes that are not as dangerous. Why then do manufactures continue to use it? Arguably, the case can be made that concentrated sugar and sodium additives are addictive. While I would prefer to see people just make smarter decisions, I think it's evident that American's either don't care or aren't educated enough. So yes, I think this is a good idea. Ideally, the revenue would be used to educate the public.

Sugar-free alternatives are available, but they pose a whole different set of threats. Tough issue...

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points