Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1950 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Jan 4, 2008 6:40 PM by tommashe
JP515M Amateur 10 posts since
Aug 21, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 3, 2008 1:50 PM

Knee Pain

Hi all,

I have been having pain in my right knee since September. The pain is located just above the kneecap in the front of the leg and centered (not tending toward on side). The pain is very pronounced when I am walking down stairs. Walking up stairs or walking in general brings no discomfort nor does standing after sitting for long periods. Occasionally, when running I may experience mild discomfort in the knee for the first hundred yards or so and then not again during or after the run.

I recently took my winter break (Nov. & Dec.) from running (and most physical activities) and have not experienced a decrease in the pain as I had hoped. Since I am starting to exercise again I want to address this small problem before it becomes a big one.

I have a mild pronation and I wear stability shoes to compensate. I also run low mileage, usually 3 to 5 times a week for 2 to 5 miles.

I am hoping that someone may have experienced this sort of thing before and know what the cause may be, not to mention what I can do to get rid of the pain. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

JP

• tommashe Rookie 214 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Jan 4, 2008 6:40 PM (in response to JP515M)
    Re: Knee Pain

Sounds alittle like runners knee, here is a sure fire way to test for runners knee---sit down and put your leg out on a chair so that it's stretched out straight.  Have a friend squeeze your leg just above the knee while pushing on the kneecap.  She should push from the outside of the leg toward the center. At the same time, tighten you thigh muscle, If this is painful, you're looking at runner's knee.

I  tried this when I had knee pain after my 1/2 in Nashville.  Its what I had, I just took a few days off and iced my knee after every run for a couple of weeks.  Hopes this helps.

Sheila

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...