Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3053 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 16, 2008 9:58 AM by swell RSS
mkculs Rookie 7 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 7, 2008 3:28 PM

ok, reposting from newbie cafe to here

Greetings to all and I look forward to the advice and support I can getand give, I hope!here. I posted on the newbie site but didn't get a lot of feedback and hope to see more here. So, here's my into.

I was a very dedicated runner for years, b.c.--before children. Having my first didn't slow me down much, but a 2nd did. I had a "metabolic disorder of pregnancy" and gained 80+ lbs; I'm still 50 lbs overweight and that was 10 years ago! Now I'm almost 49 and I've been jogging/walking for a couple of years and playing soccer two times a week.

I LOVE running and I really miss it, but I am unsure how to advance safely. I have had absolutely no luck losing weight in the past two years and lugging this body around cannot be good for me--well, ok, yes it obviously is, but I am afraid to advance my running without losing weight and yet am having such great difficulty with the weight loss. I will be working on that as I try to get back into the kind of running I like (a nice 6 mile or so trail, outdoors in state parks or other isolated places, a few times a week). I'm not worried about developing great speed or anything and I've never been interested in racing although I would like to do a marathan at least once at some point.

Anyway, since I have been working out more regularly (again, starting about 2 years ago), I have come to the realization that not losing ground is important at my age--injuries take a lot longer to heal, it seems! "Slow and steady wins the race" seems to be the motta to which I need to adhere. Most of my injuries/pain are related to soccer and sprinting; my glutes are my weak point. I'm planning to start some strength training with a personal trainer to work on the glutes and to see if that helps me avoid future injuries.

If you have suggestions, advice, or just words of encouragement, please feel free to reply.

Thanks.

Maureen

• wfarrant Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Jan 9, 2008 8:43 PM (in response to mkculs)
    Re: ok, reposting from newbie cafe to here

Welcome back to running Maureen!

Slow and steady is the key.  When I got into running four years ago, I used a program that I found on this website "the couch to 5k".  It has more walking than running and it builds slowly.

it is supposed to be a 2 month program, but anytime I felt that the cardio was too much or I started to develop shin splits, I jumped back in the program 2 weeks.  In the end it took me 6 months to get to the point of running 20min straight.  Then I joined a running group and did a learn to run 10k clinic.  Its been 4 years and I've now joined my first marathon clinic after running half marathons last year.  I'm not fast (11min/mile) but I've been running injury free for four years.

Just remember to go your own pace and listen to your body!

W

• swell Rookie 13 posts since
    Oct 15, 2007
    3. Jan 16, 2008 9:58 AM (in response to mkculs)
    Re: ok, reposting from newbie cafe to here

Maureen

I will echo, slow and steady is the way back at our age.  I too layed off running in my 30's and early 40's but my weight was up, about 40 lbs, and other health indicators were turning sour so I started back.  I have now run 8 marathons in 4-1/2 years.  What I would suggest is that since you play soccer you're getting a sprint/interval workout there.  Your other runs should be at an easy pace for two reasons.  First, at an easy pace you will go longer with less mechanical stress and hopefully burn more calories. (there are some arguements about that but hold them for now) Second you want your legs to recover for your next soccer game.  Often its difficult to judge what an easy pace is so I suggest you get a heart rate monitor and run to set heart rate.  There are lots of discussions about heart rate training but around 70% of your max rate should be an easy pace. 

Also take your time and I like to run so I can run again tomorrow.  If your legs are sore try riding a bike instead of running.  And finally these are not suggestions that will move you to the front of your age group.  You should allow yourself a good 6 to 8 months to build up a base, loose some weight, and feel good on your feet before you try more difficult training.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points