Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

8644 Views 64 Replies Latest reply: May 4, 2013 11:13 PM by JC2017 RSS 1 2 3 ... 5 Previous Next
alex246 Rookie 11 posts since
Dec 30, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 6, 2008 6:32 PM

Couch to 5k- Week 1, Week of January 6

I didn't see a Week 1 thread, so I made one. If there is another, please link to it. I don't want there to be two of these.

I did Week 1 Day 1 today. (OK. technically, it's Week 1 Day 4). I have never been very active before. Last week I started Week 1, but I found it very hard. Slowing down helped some. I now run at 13:30 min per mile. That is so slow. However, I don't feel ready for Week 2, so I'm repeating Week 1.  I'm significantly overweight, and don't want to push it. I'd rather have to repeat weeks than move ahead when I'm not ready. I'm new at running, but don't want to push it. Running for 60 seconds is still quite difficult for me. Getting the proper running shoes last week helped. I don't want to get injured and have to quit. After all, the turtle won the race, right?

I'm running inside, on my treadmill. Others have said to run with an incline, but that's just too hard right now.  So I'm running with no incline on my treadmill. Perhaps I'll work up to a 1 degree incline as I progress through this program.

• waakn Rookie 3 posts since
    Jan 6, 2008
    1. Jan 6, 2008 7:14 PM (in response to alex246)
    Re: Couch to 5k- Week 1, Week of January 6

Hello

I am starting week 1 day 1 tommorow =)  Very excited ! Been looking at this program for awhile, but finally gonna get my self in gear.

Looking forward to chatting with everyone!

• Go_Dawgs Rookie 10 posts since
    Jan 2, 2008
    2. Jan 6, 2008 8:49 PM (in response to alex246)

Honestly, I'm kind of glad to find someone else who isn't finding week 1 a breeze   Today I did W1D1, and it was tough.  It felt good, but I couldn't run the entire 60 seconds as I'm very out of shape.  However,  I'm determined to stick to it and eventually get to the full three miles of running!!  I'm definitely not even thinking about making an incline on the treadmill!  Ha! 

I am going to try to do a little bit of activity in days in between runs, just to help me get into better shape.  It might be as little as taking the dog on a walk, playing my x-box Dance Dance Revolution game, or maybe I'll finally pull out those strip aerobics videos that have been laying under the tv for 2 years!!

• twobutterflies Rookie 4 posts since
    Jan 6, 2008
    3. Jan 7, 2008 5:04 AM (in response to alex246)

Hi everyone,

I am starting W1D1 today as soon as my babysitter gets here this afternoon. I'm a little nervous. I have done this once before all the way to a 5K race, so I know it works, but I remember how insanely hard it was to get started. I feel for all of you who are having a hard time with week 1. I know that if you - and I - can stick to it, we will feel an amazing sense of accomplisment. My background is this: I have never liked exersize and I'm pretty skinny so I never really worried about it. Then I married a v. athletic man and got into running. I felt healthier than ever. When I got pregnant a few months after my first 5K, I had some troubles and was told to stop running. I never started again after the baby was born and I had another beautiful girl just 20 months later. My girls are now 29 and 9 months old. Despite chasing a toddler and playing at the playground all day, my body is so out of shape - I huff walking up stairs. So I'm doing this again. Last time my message board group really helped keep me on track so I'm excited to have you guys!

I'll let you know how this afternoon goes.

Lisa

• alcesalces Rookie 189 posts since
    Jan 4, 2008
    4. Jan 7, 2008 7:19 AM (in response to alex246)

I'm out the door to do day 1 as soon as I download the podcast!!!! I'm very excited, maybe a little too excited?

Jan 4, 2008
    5. Jan 7, 2008 9:15 AM (in response to alex246)

Just finished the first run and I feel great!!! Ran outside in the 20 degree snowy greatness and felt amazing!!! I was hurting at first, but after the first couple jogs I felt myself running out the pain and I picked up the pace a bit, worked on my form (not much to work on since I have no form), and just let it all go. I'm excited about D2, and am going to go grab a protein shake and enjoy a day off from work. I don't know how I'm going to get up to form for a 5k in 9 weeks, but today was a good start, it was a good day. I want to hear how everyone else's runs went, and keep up the awesome work!!! By the way group, where are you all from??? Myself, just moved up to Minneapolis from Cleveland.

Drew

• irish_hoodlum Rookie 36 posts since
    Jan 7, 2008
    6. Jan 7, 2008 10:46 AM (in response to alcesalces)

Well...Here I am Week one Day one....again. I did the Couch to 5k 4 years ago after I quit smoking and it was great. I slimmed down to 185lbs. (I'm 6ft. tall) and felt fantastic. Why I quit running I do not know...but I sure regret it. I'm up to 225lbs. and feel horrible all the time. I have been wanting to get back into it, but just didn't. I finally told myself that I need to quit being lazy and just do it. It felt good to get up this morning and get on the treadmill. I've taken the first step, and now need to be committed and make it a habit. I would appreciate your support and encouragement as I begin this program, and I will do the same.

Looking forward to getting to know some of you as we work towards a common goal.

Eric

Jan 4, 2008
    7. Jan 7, 2008 11:15 AM (in response to alex246)

Great job getting back into it Eric, and the rest of the group! I used to be in tip top shape in college. I'm 6'6" and when I played football I could pretty much do anything (at least that was the mindset), 70 pounds later and years without exercise and I'm kinda broken down. Confidence, energy, it's all in the crapper! I stubled upon this site trying to find something to motivate me, and really enjoyed reading all the posts. I'm here, with you guys to help push you all through this and do it myself. I know it will suck and everyone will have pain and moments of wanting to go back to the couch... but keep logging on and posting and we'll all get through this and run some races!! So, nice to meet ya, and keep chuggin people!

Drew

• Ben_Smith Rookie 28 posts since
    Dec 29, 2007
    8. Jan 7, 2008 11:36 AM (in response to alcesalces)

Hi Week Oners. Welcome to the Couch to 5k program.

Although I'm currently in Week 2, I've done this program before. It really does work. You can go from couch potato to running 3 miles in just nine weeks. It is really possible. There are a lot of people, like many of you, who thought they could never run. Now they are runners. Soon you will all be runners as well. Instead of watching the runners out your car window, you'll be the runner that people in cars watch wondering "I wish I could do that."

Also, I have very bad news for all of you. You have chosen an addicting sport. Running is fun and addicting. You probably don't believe me now, and you may not right after you finish C25k, but if you keep with it, you will understand. The Runner's High is real, and after the first time you experience it, you will also be addicted. It takes a couple weeks after finishing Week 9 before you are really adapted to running 3 miles. I had my first Runner's high 2 weeks after I finished the program. After that, I kept running 3 miles, three times a week for months. I only stopped because of the busy holidays. Now I have restarted running, and C25k is a great way to make sure one doesn't get injured in the process.

For all of you who are discouraged about week 1, don't worry. It gets easier. You will probably find that Day 3 is much easier than Day 1. Just make sure you aren't going too fast. Maintain a pace where  you can carry on a conversation. If you can't talk, you are going too fast. At this point, speed does not matter. It doesn't matter if you're going 8 min per mile, or 16 min per mile. Just run at your own pace. Speed will come in time. 

Alex- don't get discouraged about having to repeat week 1. Lots of people have to repeat weeks. You are being smart by listening to your own body. Different people adapt to running at a different pace. Just because you had to repeat week 1, don't assume you'll have to repeat all of them. You will adapt to running at your own pace. 

• waakn Rookie 3 posts since
    Jan 6, 2008
    9. Jan 8, 2008 6:48 AM (in response to Ben_Smith)

Good Morning =)

I did week 1 day 1 run last night..wow I really enjoyed it. I was surpirised how much I enjoyed it!  It was hard,but i did it!

How is everyone eles doing ?

• Lane Meyers Rookie 75 posts since
    Jan 8, 2008
    10. Jan 8, 2008 10:10 AM (in response to waakn)

Hello there.

I'm trying to motivate myself for tonight's run. Day 2 of Week 1

The first run was on Sunday...I enjoyed it, but I won't lie. It was HARD! It made me realize that I'm much more out of shape than I thought. Please tell me that most people stick with this!

• irish_hoodlum Rookie 36 posts since
    Jan 7, 2008
    11. Jan 8, 2008 10:34 AM (in response to Lane Meyers)

"most people stick with this" 

It's hard starting...but if you keep at it, it will become a habit, and it will get easier.

hang in there!

• jennikate Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 6, 2008
    12. Jan 8, 2008 11:26 AM (in response to irish_hoodlum)

Hi,

I'm on day 3, week 1.  So far, so good.  It's pretty hard towards the end but I am totally out of shape so that doesn't help.  I have been trail running because I feel safer and I hate treadmills.  I also like getting outside and getting some air.  So far, it hasn't been too cold...I've been lucky.  I even managed to talk about 5 friends/co-workers into doing a 5k with me on March 31st.  Do you all think that's realistic?

Jen

• Lane Meyers Rookie 75 posts since
    Jan 8, 2008
    13. Jan 8, 2008 11:49 AM (in response to irish_hoodlum)

Thanks! I appreciate the encouragement! Telling myself to "Suck it up, cupcake!" only gets me so far!

• dimpelz Rookie 40 posts since
    Jan 8, 2008
    14. Jan 8, 2008 12:28 PM (in response to alex246)

Hello

I started week 1 day 1 last Thursday and although it was tough, I actually enjoyed it.   I decided to start over this week and started week 1 day 1 today at 5:30 A.M.  I also went to my first cycling/spinning class last night.  My plan is to do cycling on Mon and Wed and to do c25k on Tues, Thurs and Sat.  I am overweight but I really would like to shed pounds and get into shape.  I  am an Army veteran and I feel ashamed to have let myself go like this. Although I was overweight when I left, I have gained about 60 to 70 pounds since I left the Army almost 12 years ago. 

1 2 3 ... 5 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...