Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3790 Views 31 Replies Latest reply: Jan 13, 2008 4:16 PM by harrnjos Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Catbefit Rookie 5 posts since
    Jan 9, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Jan 9, 2008 2:16 PM (in response to harrnjos)
    Re: C25k Weeks 3-6 (January 6-12)

I started Week 5 (for the third time) this morning.  Started it right after Thanksgiving then got a respiratory virus that left me coughing for two weeks,  had to back up and start again, got to Week 5 and got a gastric virus that had me out for a week!  I normally almost never get sick, so wondering if the thought of that 20 minutes at the end of the week is weakening my defenses!!  The first day was good -- I'll let you know if I'm still healthy four days from now.   Glad to be tracking with some other folks--I am so slow and so long out of shape that it has been a mental game just to keep going (and get back going again)

• Karensfit4life Expert 80 posts since
    Dec 27, 2007
    16. Jan 9, 2008 2:42 PM (in response to Catbefit)

Great job keeping at it Catbefit!

Karen (38)

Mom to 2 boys (13 and 5)

5/22/10 Festival of Hope 5k [39:12]

10/17/10 1st Half Marathon - Girlfriends Half Marathon Vancouver, WA

• LMSH Rookie 11 posts since
    Jan 1, 2008
    17. Jan 9, 2008 8:21 PM (in response to 1to1)

I purchased my running shoes online a couple of months ago at zappos.com.  They have free shipping and free shipping on returns, and I did have to exchange once for another size, but it was easy and the shoes are great.  They have a very large selection it seemed to me.

• ExSwimmer Rookie 30 posts since
    Nov 12, 2007
    18. Jan 9, 2008 10:17 PM (in response to LMSH)

W4D2 done this morning, just like 1to1!  Had a little bit of a rough time today...I think because I jumped on my mini trampoline quite a bit last night, so my calves and shins were really sore.  Hopefully it'll feel better on friday! 

Sounds like everyone is doing great keeping with it and getting back into it.  Most of us are doing this program for the second or third time, so don't feel bad about starting over or taking some extra time in the program- just think, it's all just more days of exercising!  And there's NOTHIN wrong with that.  Every time you get out there is one more day closer you are to reaching your goals, whatever they might be. 

keep it up team!

• justgot2run Rookie 17 posts since
    Dec 29, 2007
    20. Jan 10, 2008 11:52 AM (in response to harrnjos)

The Arnold Classic March 2nd in Columbus Ohio http://www.arnoldsportsfestival.com/ and the Lighthouse Half Marathon and 5k http://www.huron.net/marathon.htm that date is not set yet, sometime in April or May.

Donna

• 1to1 Amateur 74 posts since
    Dec 17, 2007
    21. Jan 11, 2008 9:29 AM (in response to harrnjos)

Week 4 is complete!!  I still felt perky after the last run...no I didn't continue running, just bumped up my speed for the last minute.  My face gets so red on these longer runs and that why last time I did most of my runs outside.  I go to the Y and I don't want people to think that the short fat chick is going to keel over--its kinda embarrassing.  Oh well, I'm still having fun and look forward to next weeks 20 minutes run.

We might go out of town this weekend and I'm going to try to fit in looking for new shoes!

• Mr_Tremor Rookie 98 posts since
    Dec 31, 2007
    22. Jan 11, 2008 10:41 AM (in response to harrnjos)

Keep it up everyone, this is great!! I am so proud of myself. I finished W5D2 2 days ago and just finished Week 5 Day 3. I surprised myself 20 minutes just flew by. I never thought I could do it. I was feeling low before the run and now I feel Great. I can't say how much the running can do for my mental health. I have always hatred working out because there was no mental trophy at the end. What I mean is if you do a long cardio workout like aerobics or lift some weights, no one cares. Imagine someone comming up and telling you they were just at Aerobics class they want to laugh rather than say wow I wish I could do that. Where as with running you have those miles to show off. Hey I just ran 2 miles... response = wow I hate running and can only imagine how hardi t must have been.

Anyway thats my mindset keep it up everyone it's worth it.

• justgot2run Rookie 17 posts since
    Dec 29, 2007
    23. Jan 11, 2008 12:06 PM (in response to Mr_Tremor)

W3D3 Complete! I ran 6mph for my 90 sec runs and 5mph for the 3 minute runs. Recovery this week comes so much quicker than week one.

Peeked a head to week 4, looks like a nice mix so that will go by quick.

Anyone else registered for a 5K?

Donna

• LMSH Rookie 11 posts since
    Jan 1, 2008
    24. Jan 11, 2008 1:21 PM (in response to harrnjos)

Hello.  It is so great to see that people are sticking with it and having success.  It helps create an atmosphere of motivation for me, so thank you!  I ran W6D2 this morning.  It was fine.  My main trouble is impatience.  I start thinking about all the things I need to do during the day and start to get stressed out and have to really work hard not to cut the run short to get started on my day.  I've only actually done that once, but it is my toughest mental challenge.  Anybody have any tips?

• Karensfit4life Expert 80 posts since
    Dec 27, 2007
    25. Jan 11, 2008 2:53 PM (in response to justgot2run)

I just finished Week 3 Day 3.  I really had a hard time today and had to push myself to complete it   I know it is because I got out of here about an hour later than normal and so it had been about 3 hours since I ate.  Good thing that shouldn't happen very often and I did finish it!

Karen (38)

Mom to 2 boys (13 and 5)

5/22/10 Festival of Hope 5k [39:12]

10/17/10 1st Half Marathon - Girlfriends Half Marathon Vancouver, WA

• ecuturtle Rookie 30 posts since
    Jan 1, 2008
    26. Jan 11, 2008 3:27 PM (in response to harrnjos)

Hey Guys! I am glad to see everyone is pushing along. It helps keep me motivated! I did W6D2 this afternoon. It was super nice out and I went to the school track down the street. I usually don't use the track because I find it boring. But today was different- I actually would make 2 1/4 laps around in the 10 minute intervals, which is great for me. I last ran the track around Christmas and running for 5 minutes, once around the track was killer. It kept me really motivated when I was thinking bad thoughts... I did both 10s with no stopping, so I felt pretty proud after struggling with the 20 minutes in week 5. Also, I felt like I had picked up my pace today- even from W6D1, so that was also pretty cool. It did take me some time to get to it today though- I had softball yesterday and took a spill in some soft dirt. The ankle was very stiff last night, but not too bad today. Anyway, I made it through with no problems.

Keep up the good thoughts!

• rdy2rn Rookie 7 posts since
    Dec 16, 2007
    27. Jan 11, 2008 7:12 PM (in response to harrnjos)

Finished W5D1 and have to say the last 5 minutes was hard--

kept telling myself it is a mental challenge.  From what I have read on here, I am running(jogging) much slower than everyone else it seems.  Should I worry about this? Try to up my pace? Or just get through the program
    I know I have read not to worry about how fast and that speed kills newbies, but I seem to be WAY slower
    -my fast paced walk is about 3.4-3.5 on treadmill and my jog is only about 4-4.2--

I am eventually going to try this outside and am also worried about it being harder outside.  What do you all think?

• Angel Kitty Amateur 57 posts since
    Oct 23, 2007
    29. Jan 12, 2008 3:17 AM (in response to Catbefit)

I have been trying to get out there and run but I don't know if I sould run on the road or the sidewalk? I have been suffering with ITB's and I have them at bay so I don't know where to run. Help!! I have been trying to do this program and stick to it. I hear your pain but keep pushing yourself out the door. JUST DO IT!!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...