Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

9298 Views 64 Replies Latest reply: May 4, 2013 11:13 PM by JC2017 Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next
  • irish_hoodlum Rookie 36 posts since
    Jan 7, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    45. Jan 11, 2008 7:52 AM (in response to alcesalces)
    Re: Couch to 5k- Week 1, Week of January 6

Good morning "Finishers"!!!

Finished Week one this morning, and it felt good. Still didn't want to get up, but I did anyway. I need to get to bed earlier. As far as breathing goes...I tend to let my body decide what it needs, not me deciding when I should inhale or exhale. When my body needs more, I let it take it. It may seem funny breathing in and out a lot when not sprinting, but if that's what my body wants I will give it to it. I'm sure as my lung capacity increases and I get in bettter shape, I will be able to do more with less oxygen...but hey, it's free. Why not use as much of it as you can.

I don't have internet at home. (I'm in a pretty secluded area) so I won't catch up to you all again til next week. (Week two....wooohoo!) ...and I EXPECT to see you all back here! We're not the "quitters"...we're not the "procrastinators"...We're the "FINISHERS"!

Have a great weekend everyone!

-Eric

• jawjapeech Rookie 24 posts since
    Jan 11, 2008
    46. Jan 11, 2008 9:51 AM (in response to irish_hoodlum)

Hi! This is my first post, I'm glad to see this forum....lots of info and support.  I have finished day 2 of week 1, my last day is tomorrow. I'm very excited to have started this program and am looking forward to my first 'race' at the end of March.

• irish_hoodlum Rookie 36 posts since
    Jan 7, 2008
    47. Jan 11, 2008 9:57 AM (in response to jawjapeech)

Welcome Jawjapeech! nice to have you aboard! Most of us are finishing up our first week as well, so stick around and hang out with us as we help each other along!

-Eric

• alcesalces Rookie 189 posts since
    Jan 4, 2008
    48. Jan 11, 2008 10:42 AM (in response to alex246)

Welcome southern peach!!!! I think you'll find that this is an awesome group, and we're here for you! Great job starting the program!! Eric, good job pushing through week one! Everyone else great job!!! I just finished week 1 myself, and it was crazy! I will tell you all about it, lol. I hate treadmills! Really not a fan. I have run my first two days outside with unseasonably warm weather in the 30's. Well, today was -7 with the windchill, brrr! Yeah, I still decided to run outside, stupid! It takes a lot more of a warmup to loosen the body up, and it's just biting when you run. Well, got through the run today, but about halfway through my Ipod froze (literally from the cold weather froze) and I had to spend the second half of the run with no music, and having to countdown in my head! I finished ok, was very happy about the run, but an hour later and my Ipod is still frozen!!! I don't know what to do now, has anyone experienced a problem like this? Hopefully it will still work once it's warm again, but I think anything under 30 degrees I'll have to suck it up and go to the gym.

Jan 4, 2008
    49. Jan 11, 2008 11:18 AM (in response to alex246)

I find myself very excited for week 2. I don't want to wait two days to start!! I never thought I would get this excited, this quickly. I can see how people say running is addictive, and I can't wait for the day that I'm actually running for more than a minute at a time. I think I'm going to sign up for my first race in March up here which of course is a 5k. I also decided on off days from the C25K program I'm going to do some light bike work for a sweat, and then strength training with weights. I haven't been seeing any updates from a lot of our group members, so hopefully they are just shy and are still chuggin along. Time to go nap a little bit and I'll see you guys in week 2!!!

Drew

• dimpelz Rookie 40 posts since
    Jan 8, 2008
    50. Jan 11, 2008 12:14 PM (in response to alcesalces)

I'm excited about week 2 as well.  I have wk1 day 3 tomorrow (Yay!).  I also think that running is addicting.  Today was a rest day for me but I think that if I didn't do spinning on Mon and Wed I would have probably fallen off the wagon because today seems so long.  I haven't done anything since 6:18 am yesterday and it seems like forever.  I ate a huge unhealthy sub for lunch and I feel just awful.  I can't wait to get on my treadmill tomorrow.  I haven't decided if I will run in any marathons but maybe if I find one that will be taking place in a few months or so and I commit myself to something then I can do it.  I guess I still struggle with that lack of self confidence thing but I am trying to overcome it.  I do get easily discourged so I thank you all for being such great support.  My SO thinks that I am doing too much and thinks that this whole 5K thing is just a bunch of talk.  I am lucky to have others that are doing this with me and that I can talk to about my progress as well as my struggles, so thank you "Finnishers".   Sorry for rambling but I needed to vent.  I do have a question though.  Has any of you incorporated protein (Whey) into your diet?  If so, how has it helped?

Jan 4, 2008
    51. Jan 11, 2008 1:22 PM (in response to dimpelz)

Dimpelz... I know exactly what you're talking about... My fiancee kind of shrugged off when I said I was going to run a race in a couple months. I guess I don't blame her, I've been saying things like that for years now, and have never really followed through or put any effort into it. That is why this is sooo big! I am done being "that guy". I am going to do what I've dreamt of doing, and I'm not going to be a talker anymore, I'm going to be a doer. For that reason I've stopped telling the Fi about how serious I'm hitting this, instead she will see the results, and know that I'm doing it. As for the Whey protein thing, of course I'm incorporating it! I have a protein shake everyday. Protein is used by your body to build muscle. The amount of protein you're takeing in everyday should be an equivalent to a quarter of your weight for optimal use. For example I weigh 280 pounds, I should intake 70 grams of protein a day. But more importantly I do the strength training on days off because for every pound of muscle you gain it burns 5% more fat from your body!! That is a big key for weight loss, muscle burns fat!! Anyways, I have rambled... Keep it up Dimpelz, the SO may not believe it, but we all believe it!

Drew

• Lane Meyers Rookie 75 posts since
    Jan 8, 2008
    52. Jan 11, 2008 2:23 PM (in response to alcesalces)

Hi Everyone!

Woohoo! Finished Week 1 day 3! Congratulations to everyone who has already finished week 1 and hang in there to all of you who are this close to finishing! For me, Week 2 Day 1 starts on Sunday! Glad to be....a Finisher!

• mmcmu005 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 11, 2008
    53. Jan 11, 2008 4:24 PM (in response to alex246)

one of my best friends and i have taken up the c25k running plan.  it's not proving very easy, but we refuse to give up.  i have a problem pushing myself to do things that i don't want to, any tips?  we'll be doing w1d3 tomorrow, i feel like i kind of gave up on w1d2.

• jawjapeech Rookie 24 posts since
    Jan 11, 2008
    54. Jan 11, 2008 4:40 PM (in response to dimpelz)

Dimpelz, I have the same self confidence issues....which is why I'm going to go ahead and sign up for a race...it will hold me accountable and force me out of my shell!!  You can do it!!

• laura4184 Rookie 5 posts since
    Jan 11, 2008
    55. Jan 11, 2008 9:35 PM (in response to jawjapeech)

hi everybody, i'm not sure if i qualify to be in this group b/c i have only finished day 1 of week one but i'm sure i can catch up. i just ran for the first time in over a month. it was great! i'm super excited to be starting this program. i'm pretty young and i wouldn't really consider myself "out of shape" but it will certainly take lots of hard work to get to the finish line. i so glad to have found this support system and i look forward to the weeks to come. i'm still all sweaty and yet i can't wait to go run again. ~

Jan 4, 2008
    56. Jan 12, 2008 6:53 AM (in response to laura4184)

Laura, Of course you qualify to be in our group, welcome!! And great job starting the program! We are becoming a tight group, so if you need a pick-me-up or any support we're here for you!

Drew

• Lane Meyers Rookie 75 posts since
    Jan 8, 2008
    57. Jan 13, 2008 1:57 PM (in response to mmcmu005)

Hi there new folks and welcome! I just finished Wk2 Day 1 and it wasn't too bad. MMCMU005- I find that when it gets really hard for me I start telling myself that I can do it or I'll kick on autopilot til I'm done. If I think quitting is not an option, then I make it to the end. My husband will see when my energy is flagging and he'll chant you're almost there! You can do it! And it all helps. The people on this board help, the fact that I told everyone I know I'm doing this so that I am accountable... I'm trying to create an environment where quitting would be worse than continuing! Kudos to you and everyone for starting! How is everyone progressing? Drew, how're you feeling? Happy running everyone!

• beachbum724 Pro 217 posts since
    Jan 2, 2008
    58. Jan 13, 2008 6:43 PM (in response to Lane Meyers)

Hi y'all-  went to see my 2 kids at college this weekend, so haven't posted for the past two runs.  I did W2D1 Friday and W2D2 this morning in another environment, on sidewalks at the college campus.  Hilly, different terraine.  MUCH HARDER!  I did ok with W1D1 on the track I was used to before we left early Friday am.  It was tough, but I completed it fine and I was  happy with the run.  This morning was tough!  The sidewalks/parking lots I found were much harder and I felt my legs heavy and dragging on run 5 and I stopped running and walked the second half of run 6, the last one.  It was all uphill and I gave out.  First time I had trouble, and I didn't like giving up.  I'm hoping Wed when I do W2D3 I can make up for today.    If it still is too difficult for me I may repeat this a couple more times.  Today it was my ankles that were reacting, not my lungs.  I feel fine tonight, no soreness.  For those of you finishing week one, congratulations!!  I love this plan, and am happy with the name we've picked, the Finishers!  From the most unathletic person ever, I'm gonna do this!  Everyone have a great week and keep on posting- the support is so helpful!

THE ONLY THING THAT CAN STOP YOU IS YOU!

Started C25K the first time January 2008

Jingle Bell Run December 5, 2009 5K 40:15

Completed C25K January 3, 2010 running 3 miles in 39 minutes

started program again January 21,2012 on my own

Started with a local group in April 2012

Completed C25K with a local running group 6-8-12

Miles for Smiles 5K to be run on 6-15-12

• SlogOn Legend 368 posts since
    Jan 13, 2008
    59. Jan 13, 2008 7:29 PM (in response to beachbum724)

Hi, can I join in? I made the decision to make big lifestyle changes late in the fall & got started the week before Christmas. Okay, bad timing - LOL. But I DID get a start & only wish I'd found C25K sooner. Luckily, what I've been doing hasn't been very different. I simply made what seems to be a common mistake of going at it too hard, making myself miserable & not really enjoying it except for a few stretches. I've looked carefully at the plan & I seem to be closest to the start of week 2, so tomorrow for me is Week 2 Day 1.

I love the thought of cyber running buddies. That way I get the benefit of running alone, at my own pace but know that scattered around out there are other folks roughly at the stage I'm at.

I love the name - 'The Finishers' by the way. Starting never seems as difficult as follow through & finish. I salute those signing up for competetive runs! Me, I'm still in awe at the thought that some time in the not too distant future, I'll actually be able to do 5 k without stopping, without dying. Oddly enough, I'd set myself a target run for slightly over 6 k that I want to be able to do without walking at all & I want to do it by the end of May. One k doesn't sound much farther but coming up to the half way point of this 'monster' is a 0.5 k stretch of uphill that's intimidating just to look at. I figure I'll be needing to put in some shorter, training hill work once I get the initial C25K plan under my belt.

I love the fact that more experienced runners are adding comments & encouragement. I have an awful tendency to look at runners & think they were born running - that starting this late means I'm 'not worthy' or some idiotic nonsense like that. That's a bad attitude, I know. Any good lifestyle change, no matter when, is a good thing & at 47, I'm not exactly on my death bed.

Great to read all your comments & progress reports & looking forward to W2D1 tomorrow... even if it might be snowing a bit. At least it will make for a pretty run.

C25K STARTED: 10/12/11

COMPLETED: W2D1

FIRST RACE PLANNED: ???

Excitement is slogging through a spectacular dry lightning storm

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...