Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1628 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 15, 2008 12:56 AM by Cara_26.2 RSS
cshep Rookie 10 posts since
Jan 13, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 13, 2008 11:47 PM

Hi

So not only am I new to the thread

I'm new to running. I mean I've ran before but the majority of my experience

has come from my time playing football, the farthest I ever ran in one sitting

is 2 miles. Last night I ran 1.2 and I hope to push myself past that tomorrow.

I ran the mile in roughly 9 minutes. I know its slow but I've been running for

a week now and everybody has to start somewhere. I also need to incorporate

weights into my daily routine, I used to train solely for strength so I lifted

weights and ate non stop. It worked as I gained a lot of muscle. but now I need

to get in better shape for my career. But I need to maintain strength as I am a

college cheerleader (lifter) and my career there isn't over. So I'm open to any

help anyone can provide and I admittedly know very little about running. So

I'll look around some and I would appreciate your help.

Shep

• Cara_26.2 Pro 711 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Jan 14, 2008 12:51 AM (in response to cshep)
    Re: Hi

Hi Shep - welcome to our community! You'll find loads of great tips and advice here, so when you have questions please ask! and post often to let us know how you progress.

When I read your message I did want to add though that a 9 minute mile is NOT slow! I started running from nothing 8 months ago - have been pretty consistent and am now up to 20+ miles a week with a long run of 9 miles. My 'Fast' runs are about 9:40 miles, and the slow ones about 11mm! Don't be tempted to go fast or you'll just end up injured! The one piece of advise you'll here again and again is to go slow! Oh - and make sure you get fitted for some good running shoes too

Good luck with it and stick with it

Cara

PR's

18/04/2010 Brighton Marathon: 4:23:45

21/02/2010 Sussex Beacon Half Marathon: 1:51:30

• EIgirl Community Moderator 395 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Jan 14, 2008 6:05 PM (in response to cshep)

Welcome! If you're shoes seem Ok now, stick with them.  You shoudl only be using them for running though.  If you start having any discomfort in you legs, knees or hips think about a new pair of shoes.  You can alswys go to a Shoe Forum or Shoe Carnival type place and try on everything they have to see what feels the best.  Jog in the store and get a 1/2 size larger than your normal size. 

Your pace is good as long as it feels good to you and you can maintain it for a decent distance.  If you can't, slow down and build your speed over time. 

For shin splints, do toe taps.  Keep your heel on the ground and tap.  That will help.

Good Luck.

• Cara_26.2 Pro 711 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. Jan 15, 2008 12:56 AM (in response to cshep)

I think JustStarted has pretty much said what I would have said!

As far as the shoes go, it's ok to stick with them if they feel fine, but watch out for niggles in your hips, knees etc as you start running further. It's probably worth putting whatever you can spare aside now to enable you to afford some shoes later on when you want / need them. Also depending on whether your feet roll in / out when you run, insoles can also be used in existing shoes to help with this kind of issue and possibly save money.

As for pace - 9mm is great so don't think you're slow. You'll find many beginners here doing 13 / 14+ mm so don't be afraid to slow some if you feel tired or if you're struggling to increase distance. Try to 'talk test'. can you hold a conversation or sing whilst running? If so then you're pace is fine - if not slow down some...

Enjoy the running and let us know how you get on over the coming weeks

Cara

PR's

18/04/2010 Brighton Marathon: 4:23:45

21/02/2010 Sussex Beacon Half Marathon: 1:51:30

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...