Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2632 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: May 3, 2008 3:30 PM by marctsi RSS
FutureTrackStar Rookie 8 posts since
Jun 8, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 11, 2008 7:10 PM

Nitric Oxide Supplements

My father was once a body builder (many years ago) and now i'm an advanced high school distance runner (sub 4:30 mile indoor). My father has read about N.O. supplements, and i've already known that nitric oxide is a vasodilator, which allows for increased blood flow. My question is, would a N.O. supplement (specifically BSN N.O. Xplode, which is supposedly the best) be beneficial to distance runners during their training phase? When bodybuilders take it, they are able to lengthen their workouts by a considerable amount and just feel FULL of energy. So i'm assuming that taking this as a distance runner would allow for longer workouts (like more VO2 max intervals) which would create a larger stimulus to the targeted energy pathway of the workout. I'm unsure about the rest of the product however, or any adverse side affects. Can anybody give me info? Thanx.

• Bradypus Rookie 3 posts since
    Jan 12, 2008
    2. Jan 12, 2008 11:58 AM (in response to FutureTrackStar)
    Re: Nitric Oxide Supplements

NO supplements are not going to improve useful blood flow to your muscles unless you have some deficiency in dilating those blood vessels during exercise, to begin with, which unless you have circulatory problems, you probably don't have.  Because these supplements are taken before you do any warming up, however, you get that pumped feeling a few minutes before you warm up, rather during your warm-up.  They send a rush of blood to your head, more than anything, which induced that "energized" feeling.  Chugging a cup of strong coffee or actually warming up properly will have the exact same effect, however, because you'd get just as much out of kicking your heart rate up a few BPM as you would from dilating your blood vessels with a neurochemical like NO.

It's the creatine in supplements like NO-Explode that have actual performance-enhancing effects.  Save yourself (or your parents) a lot of money and find some cheap creatine supplements if that's what you're looking for.  There are bazillions of them on the market, and despite the fact that most supplements out there are crap, creatine actually works.

Side effects? Nitric oxide is a free radical.  It can damage or kill the cells in your body, causing nasty things like stroke and arthritis.  It causes low blood pressure (because your arteries will remain unnaturally dilated following exercise).  It interferes with your body's ability to synthesize NO naturally.  The supplements used to generate it artificially can cause diarrhea and therefore dehydration.  Fun stuff.  I'd pass.

• Foxdog449 Rookie 31 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Jan 12, 2008 7:29 PM (in response to Bradypus)

Hey Bradypus,    Creatine actually works?   I have read that it helps build lean body muscle mass in bodybuilders but also promotes water retention. Can you tell me more of what you know about this substance and how it would help running? Thanks,    Foxdog449

• cshep Rookie 10 posts since
    Jan 13, 2008
    4. Jan 14, 2008 12:16 AM (in response to FutureTrackStar)

From someone who has taken NO it's base idea is that it opens vessels to

allow more nutrients into the muscle. Does it work? As advertised. It is an

amazing feeling about 10 minutes into your workout. Notice I said workout, not

run. I am a college athlete and I've trained for strength for a long time. But

my career is coming to an end and I want to be in better overall shape. It

works well in adding size and strength for those interested in it. It does help

with fatige, I could lift heavier weights longer probably due to the fact my

muscles had higher levels of oxygen going to them than normal. However if I

lifted 2 major muscle groups in one day I was very, very weak in the second

lift I attempted.

With that being said I would not recommend it for distance running. Or any

running at all. It sped my heart rate noticeably. the feeling you get would be

the opposite of what you would usually feel during running, a "pump"

as its called almost hurts, and I assume a few minutes in your legs would be

fully pumped and it would hurt. My arms, chest, back, and legs would all pump

on their respective days, and it was pleasant in a strange sort of way. I dont

think you'd feel the same.

I wouldn't suggest taking it. But if you do dont, please dont waste money on

any BSN supp. they are overpriced and work almost as well as other cheaper

supps. If I were you starting off I would go to wal*mart, yes I actually said

that, and buy their brand of NO. believe it or not the active ingredient in

BSN's and Body Fortress' stuff is L-Arginine Alpha Ketoglutarate, aka LAAK or

NOS. Another point brought up is the safety of the product to my knowledge long

term use hasn't been studied in this drug.

One last thing. Another reason to by the cheap stuff is that not everyone reacts to LAAK the same. Some react very, very well (as I do) some just react, and others react very little or not at all. So if your interested in taking (I wouldn't) it buy the cheap stuff first. 

• cshep Rookie 10 posts since
    Jan 13, 2008
    5. Jan 14, 2008 12:19 AM (in response to Foxdog449)

yes creatine works. It works well and water retention is something that only affects a small percentage of users IDK what uses it has in running as I am brand new to this but in bodybuilding its effects are tremendous.

• Bradypus Rookie 3 posts since
    Jan 12, 2008
    6. Jan 16, 2008 9:40 PM (in response to Foxdog449)

Foxdog,

As a runner?  Don't expect much.  Creatine supplements provide creatine (big surprise there), which your body very readily converts to creatine phosphate.  This is important during anaerobic exercise, as creatine phosphate exists to help create ATP, your body's fuel currency, from ADP (your body's "spent" fuel currency), and does not require oxygen to do so.  Muscles naturally have a lot of creatine phosphate stored in them, but poor diet can lead to undetectable deficiencies - undetectable until you engage in some sort of intense anaerobic exercise.  Supplements can make up for that sort of deficiency, and some research does support the claim that the amount of creatine phosphate stored in muscles can be increased through supplementation, even when there is no deficiency.

When you need a whole bunch of ATP at once in an anaerobic burst - like when you sprint, or power-lift weights - it's handy to have a whole lot of creatine phosphate in your muscles so that you can generate ATP very quickly.  The more, the better.  During tasks which require endurance, having more ATP bound to creatine phosphate will not help you much.  You're not really using ATP so fast that a boost to the rate at which you can recycle ADP back to ATP is not going to matter much.

• Ewart_Harris Rookie 343 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    7. Jan 17, 2008 9:35 AM (in response to Bradypus)

Bradypus

Could you explain the last part of your post.

"During tasks which require endurance, having more ATP bound to creatine phosphate will not help you much. You're not really using ATP so fast that a boost to the rate at which you can recycle ADP back to ATP is not going to matter much."

How about the effect of creatine during the last six miles or so of a marathon when your HR might get elivated and thus you become anareobic.

• damonwells Rookie 4 posts since
    Apr 30, 2008
    8. Apr 30, 2008 2:55 PM (in response to Ewart_Harris)

Endurance events use glucose (glycogen) and fatty acids exclusively.  creatine is only used for power events, events that require huge efforts for less than 10 seconds, generally.  At the end of a marathon your body is using primarily fats for fuel, as you have burned the majority of glycogen off during the first hour or so.  Creatine is useless for anyone other than power athletes.

• damonwells Rookie 4 posts since
    Apr 30, 2008
    9. Apr 30, 2008 2:57 PM (in response to damonwells)

Also, take a look at the amount of stimulants in NO Xplode...  i doubt that the creatine or arginine are the primary reason these supplements work.

• marctsi Rookie 6 posts since
    May 3, 2008
    10. May 3, 2008 3:30 PM (in response to damonwells)

NO explode is full of caffein, that is where the buzz comes from.  And if you are set on taking creatine, make sure you get mono-hydrate creatine powder.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...