Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

980 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Jan 14, 2008 5:30 PM by beachbum724
marcus310 Rookie 6 posts since
Jan 14, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 14, 2008 8:17 AM

New Runner

I am going to do my first run when my wife gets home, She dose not think i'm going to because for the last 5 years I have not done a thing, I'm as heavy as I have ever been, My family has a history of heart problems and being out of shape is not so go in my family. I'm 33 and I need to lose about 75 pounds. I'm going to start a Fish fruit, and vegetable diet to go along with the couch to the 5 k run. With that Kind of Diet I should be able to get plenty of nutrition?  I'm writing because I know if I say i'm going to do something I will but I have to let other people know, it pushes me to want to do it even more. Sounds dumb but it works for me. Talk to you guys after my first run tonight.

Thanks for listening

• 1to1 Amateur 74 posts since
    Dec 17, 2007
    1. Jan 14, 2008 8:36 AM (in response to marcus310)
    Re: New Runner

Hope you have a great run!!

Make sure you find a group to join here cuz it really helps keep you motivated.

Have fun!

• EIgirl Community Moderator 395 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Jan 14, 2008 8:41 AM (in response to marcus310)

Marcus - First, welcome to C25K and congratulations on having the courage to change your life.  Please keep in mind the following:

1.  Based on what you say about your weight and family history, please check with your doctor before embarking on any program.

2.  The C25K is a great program to start with.  Walking is good if you have difficulty running.  The key is that you are out there and doing something.  take it slow and listen to your body.

3.  Get good shoes.  Go to a running store and have them fit you

4.  Join one of the groups here.  It helps keep you accountable and you will find more support than you can possibly imagine.

5.  Remember....run for fitness and eat to lose weight.

I really look forward to hearing about your progress.  Welcome!!

• Michael. Community Moderator 516 posts since
    Nov 9, 2007
    3. Jan 14, 2008 9:00 AM (in response to EIgirl)

Welcome Marcus,

Remember also that there is NOTHING wrong with repeating a week in C25K if it is to much of a challenge. Getting off the empty void called the couch and getting outside makes you a runner. Even starting make you part of the running community and this community has all the support you can ever need to succeed.

Mike

• SlogOn Legend 368 posts since
    Jan 13, 2008
    4. Jan 14, 2008 12:22 PM (in response to marcus310)

Hello Marcus & welcome from a fellow newbie who was warmly welcomed just yesterday. It would be advisable to get an okay from your doctor before getting any real running in, especially with your family history of heart problems. It might be wiser too, unless you're already a walker to 'pre-train' with a week of half hour walks & see how that feels. You sure don't want any injuries.

In terms of diet, that's an area I know fairly well. I hate diets. I hate the term diet. It's a part of your lifestyle you're looking to change & any BALANCED plan should do you well. Include all the food groups & simply concentrate, for now, on cutting out the junk & watching your portion size. We tend to eat more than we think & what we think is a normal portion size is often far more than that. Just start everything slowly or you risk your own body trying to sabotage your efforts.

C25K STARTED: 10/12/11

COMPLETED: W2D1

FIRST RACE PLANNED: ???

Excitement is slogging through a spectacular dry lightning storm

• LaMonique Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 14, 2008
    5. Jan 14, 2008 12:53 PM (in response to marcus310)

Hi Marcus, I too started running today. It went surprisingly well for me and I hope the same goes for you. I'm looking forward to your future post to see your progress.

• EIgirl Community Moderator 395 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    8. Jan 14, 2008 5:14 PM (in response to marcus310)

Hey Marcus!  Congratulations on completing your first (of many) run(s).  What I want to know is.......what did your wife ssay?!?!

As to joining a group.  Start one.  Start a disussion (like you did with this thread), put "C25K:  Week One. Who is with me?" in the subject line, tell everyone about yourself, why you're starting to run and invite others to join you.  You can support each other, nag each other and succeed together.  I still hang with my C25K group.  Go Marcus!  I'll be keeping my eye out for you. 

• beachbum724 Pro 217 posts since
    Jan 2, 2008
    9. Jan 14, 2008 5:30 PM (in response to marcus310)

Hi Marcus, and Monique too- good to have both of you here- its a great place to get fired up and ready to run!!!  The fellow runners here will help you stay on track and not get down.  We are all starting together.  I'm on W2D2 and am 50 pounds overweight myself.  Be proud of yourselves that you've made this amazing decision to DO SOMETHING and you're DOING IT!  Post often, and enjoy the ride!

THE ONLY THING THAT CAN STOP YOU IS YOU!

Started C25K the first time January 2008

Jingle Bell Run December 5, 2009 5K 40:15

Completed C25K January 3, 2010 running 3 miles in 39 minutes

started program again January 21,2012 on my own

Started with a local group in April 2012

Completed C25K with a local running group 6-8-12

Miles for Smiles 5K to be run on 6-15-12

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...