Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1479 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Jan 16, 2008 5:41 AM by kkindness
ericgt79 Rookie 30 posts since
May 11, 2006
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 14, 2008 6:37 AM

eating and not eating

I have a huge issue with eating, I take hydroxy cuts before my runs twice a day but I dont really eat because the chromium has me so off the walls I dont really feel like eating but then in the middle of the night I want to eat I dont think its the pills beccause I took them before and didnt have this problem I just dont know what to do when do I eat.  And how is my new dedication to no red meats going to effect my runs, sorry for rambling.

• figbash Amateur 600 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Jan 14, 2008 7:13 AM (in response to ericgt79)
    Re: eating and not eating

It sounds like you have an eating disorder. Maybe you should talk to a dietician.

Tom

• Ewart_Harris Rookie 343 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Jan 14, 2008 9:54 AM (in response to ericgt79)

I have to agree with figbash.  Why are you taking Hydroxycut?  Are you trying to loose weight?  Probably you have an over arching desire to loose weight (much like myself) and it's affecting your biological system.  I think you should just design a healthy meal plan for a runner (If that is what you are) and try to stick to it.  There is lots of good info on the Center for Disease Control, or the National institute for Health websites.  Additionally, a dietician or Nutritionist should be able to help.

• cshep Rookie 10 posts since
    Jan 13, 2008
    4. Jan 14, 2008 10:02 AM (in response to ericgt79)

Stop taking the drugs. Thats a good simple start.

one thing you should know is that if you are trying to lose weight the worst

thing you can do is skip meals. The reason bodybuilders achieve 3% body fat for

competition isn't because they eat once or twice a day. Most pros eat up to 7

to 8 times a day. Why? Because you metabolize nearly all calories 3-4 hours

after you eat. If you wait longer than that to eat you stop metabolizing and

you have to start all over again slowing the process down. So eating every 2

1/2 to 3 hours is from a metabolic stand point is the most effective.

Another pit fall of not eating the proper number of calories is that your

body will begin to eat its own muscle. It (your body) will believe that it is

starving, and since fat is a better longer lasting source for a starving body to

feed on, your muscle will atrophy first as your body saves the fat for a "rainy day". So your losing muscle not fat when you do

this.

I bet your asking "What do i care, I'm still losing weight when I get

on the scale?!" and you will for a while. But the thing about lean muscle

is that the more you have the faster your metabolism moves. Like I said about

the bodybuilders I need around 3,500 calories a day a pro bodybuilder needs

somewhere around 8-9,000 per day. All of their muscle requires more energy to

be taken in. The less muscle you have the slower your metabolism will be. So if

your losing muscle, and your trying to lose fat your metabolism will slow. And

eventually you'll have trouble losing weight no matter what you eat or how you

exercise.

And I could tell you all of this and it may not make a

difference. But if I were you I would stop taking the pills, and go see a

doctor. There is a laundry list of negative effects that your current habit

will cause; your bones will weaken, skin will react poorly, hair will fall out,

injuries are hundreds of times more likely. But tell a doctor what you've been

doing and see what help they can provide.

• cshep Rookie 10 posts since
    Jan 13, 2008
    6. Jan 14, 2008 4:39 PM (in response to ericgt79)

Most of my background is in body and strength building so I cant help a lot with the in's and out's of the type of nutrition runners need. But planning your diet in bodybuilding is just as important as how you train. You have to feed your body and if you feed your body properly it will do the things you want it to do better. So if you design a diet around your goals you'll no doubt do better than the road your going down now.

• milkbaby9 Rookie 45 posts since
    Jun 26, 2006
    7. Jan 14, 2008 5:05 PM (in response to ericgt79)

It does sound like you are on the way to disordered eating...  It makes perfect sense that when you starve yourself during the day, then you end up with cravings at night.  If you can afford it, you can see a dietician to help you figure out a healthy eating plan, or at the very least read some books on sports nutrition by professional dieticians.  Good luck.

• kkindness Amateur 57 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    8. Jan 16, 2008 5:41 AM (in response to ericgt79)

I agree with everyone above. What you're doing is just not good. Too many people think to lose weight, they have to work out a ton and eat very little. But as people have pointed out, what you eat is as important as what you do. If you don't eat enough, that's counterproductive and bad for your body. Stop taking the pills...if you can train for a half marathon you can lose weight without a diet pill. Your eating is hurting both your running and general health. I'm no expert, but I can tell you what helped me, maybe it will help you. (I started running and trying to lose weight about the same time a couple years ago, training for a half marathon).  I lost about 40 pounds while training for my first half marathon (and kept it off). To lose weight while running about 25 miles a week, I had to eat about 2200-2300 calories a day. From the looks of it, you're barely eating half of that. Eating too little works against you when you lose weight. There's a lot of scientific backup for that, but that's the simplest way to put it.

Also, I don't eat red meat or poultry, but I do eat a lot of beans, fish and egg whites. My diet is about 60% good carbs (wheat, fruits, etc). If you're at a loss for how much you should be eating...check out sparkpeople.com or if you have the money, get a nutritionist. I eat every 2 hours, with most of my food being in the first 2/3 of the day. Its very important to eat breakfast, too. Skipping meals in general is bad, but I think skipping breakfast is the worst. If you can't stomach a ton of food first thing in the morning, try 1/2 a grapefruit and a piece of whole wheat toast with some PB on it. Or some low-sugar oatmeal with raisins. The biggest thing is planningit's not hard to stick to a diet if you plan ahead of time. Lack of planning leads to missed meals and bad choices. You also need to eat more good carbs. You won't see many serious runners who eat a very low carb diet...your body needs the carbs for energy. If you are eating a balanced diet, you will have more energy naturally.  I also follow the rule to eat a colorful mealcolored veggies with brown rice and salmon for instance--for me it helps to remind me to eat a more balanced diet with variety.

Try and be patient. Your running (and weight loss) will not improve if you're not properly taking care of your body. Stop taking pills. Check out some nutrition sites or talk to a professional. Work on eating better and more food. Don't skip meals. Eat more carbs. Keep a food journal...sometimes seeing it in print is a big wake up call.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...