Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3442 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Feb 17, 2008 8:13 PM by spicegeek
DCgrizzly Rookie 1 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 4, 2008 4:48 PM

ipod headphones

I have an ipod shuffle that I like to run with, but the headphones that come with the ipod hurt my ears.  I don't want noise canceling headphones because I want to be able to listen to what is going on around me.  Often I run with just one earphone in.  Can any recommend headphones that are comfortable, durable, and produce decent sound?

• bmccurdy Rookie 21 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Jan 10, 2008 7:45 AM (in response to DCgrizzly)
    Re: ipod headphones

I have a pair of sony earbuds that I use with my ipod nano. They were about mid-range in price, the sound quality is pretty descent and they come with extra earbud pieces of varying sizes.  I would say the best advice to finding a good pair would be to just go to some place like best buy, find the teenage kid working the section and ask him his opinion. Most kids have some sort of mp3 player and would probably be able to give you a good idea from his/her experiences.

• Jay Youngdahl Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 30, 2007
    2. Jan 17, 2008 5:59 AM (in response to DCgrizzly)

The Sennheiser PMX70 Sports headphones are awesome.  I have had many pairs of sony and nike headphones but these work the best by far.  They fit comfortably around my head, have a long chord, and sound nice with my nano.  I bought mine on Amazon for $30-$40.

• mike_cramton Community Moderator 16 posts since
    Aug 29, 2007
    3. Jan 17, 2008 9:38 AM (in response to DCgrizzly)

I have tried and tried to jump on the earbud bandwagon, but have yet to find a decent pair that don't fall out. Then I went to Best Buy and found this old-school pair of Sony over-the-head earphones that also go in the ear a bit like earbuds. They cost $10, have great sound, low profile but also offer plenty of stability. I like them so much I went back and bought another pair. Model: MDR-W08. Amazon review here

• BrianEW Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. Jan 23, 2008 9:47 AM (in response to DCgrizzly)

I can't use the Apple headphones either. Cords too short and buds fall out my ears constantly. I bought the Sennheiser PMX70 headphones on a recommendation and love them.  They sound great, can't fall out, are comfortable, cord is long and durable, and they are very water resistant. I've heard the other Sennheiser sports headphones are just as good, but I haven't used them. You probably won't be able to find them in stores since most don't carry the brand, but you can find them anywhere online for about $45.

• shacky68 Rookie 7 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    5. Jan 26, 2008 11:38 AM (in response to mike_cramton)

Too funny Mike.  My experience is ditto for what you wrote.  I went to Best Buy as well and settled on these exact headphones and they are the only headphones I'll wear on my run.

I'm going to have to buy some more since the phone jack is showing some corrosion which is causing intermittant play.

• tommashe Rookie 214 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    6. Feb 16, 2008 5:49 PM (in response to shacky68)

I have small ear canals and also have trouble with the ear buds staying in.  Try this, put them in your ear and then put the cord behind your ear.  It's kinda like they are upside down, the stem is facing up, since I started doing this they haven't come out one time.

Sheila

• andahuff Amateur 290 posts since
    Jan 24, 2008
    7. Feb 17, 2008 4:22 PM (in response to Jay Youngdahl)

Ditto on the Sennheiser headphones. They ROCK!

That is 5 stars and 2 thumbs up!

• spicegeek Community Moderator 2,563 posts since
    Jan 14, 2007
    8. Feb 17, 2008 8:13 PM (in response to DCgrizzly)

I found the sennheiser cords broke down after about 9 months - they really are very flimsy and I found a lot of people reporting the same problem

I bough a pair of Nike over the ear headphones ( they are made by phillips )  - they felt a little heavy  but work just fine and sound good

NYC Marathon          Nov 1 2009     -   4:03:13 ( 9:17 mm )

NYC Half Marathon   Aug 16 2009   -   1:55:38 ( 8:49 mm )

1 mile -  7:07                             10K     - 52:58 ( 8:32 mm)

4 mile - 31:35 ( 7:53 mm)          8K      - 42:28 ( 8:32 mm)

15K -     1:22:02 ( 8:49 mm)

Find the Half Marathon Team on FACEBOOK

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...