Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

580 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 20, 2008 9:33 AM by Terry4X4
Jay Silvio We're Not Worthy 1,775 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 19, 2008 4:48 PM

Sat. 1/19/08

So, how was everyone's training today?

I put in a 10 miler this afternoon with 4 miles of tempo running at the end.  The weather here in Maryland was overcast and in the upper 30s; there is still snow on the ground, but it has melted off the paths.  Days like this are opportunities not to be wasted because you never know what tomorrow's weather will be.

• Terry4X4 Community Moderator 207 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Jan 19, 2008 6:19 PM (in response to Jay Silvio)
    Re: Sat. 1/19/08

Today was cross training for me at the gym.  5 min warmup jog around the indoor track, some stretching, and a spin class.  The class was 45 min of spinning and 15 min push ups and abs.

Jen, how did your 18 miler go today?  

• lahrunner Pro 103 posts since
    Dec 21, 2007
    2. Jan 19, 2008 8:12 PM (in response to Jay Silvio)

Hi Jay,  Thanks for the link to this discussion.  What a refreshing break from the debate going on about headphones!  My 20 mile run today was good....sort of.  It was going okay until about mile 12, when I hit some version of the wall.  Fortunately, a friend showed up soon after and ran about five miles with me.  The last two were a real challenge, borderline torture,  but I made it a point to run the last 300 meters (love my Nike+ announcements!) as hard as my feeling the pain middle aged body could stand.  The good news is I took almost 20 minutes off my 20 mile time from two years ago!!   Two years ago, when I was training for the Marine Corps, 20 was my longest training run.  This time, for L.A., I added a 23 but am now having doubts.  Any advice or words of encouragement from anybody who has run 23 for training?

• jenhirr Legend 314 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. Jan 20, 2008 7:36 AM (in response to Jay Silvio)

Well, I'm sad to report that my 18 didn't do as well as planned.  It had snowed during the night so the road conditions were bad.  Think: running in soft sand with a layer of ice underneath.  It starting snowing so bad that I couldn't see the sides of the road.  I kept having to stop to re-adjust and figure out where I was and my legs and back got hammered from the weird stride and trying to shelter my face from the snow and I simply ran out of time (my son had his first b-ball game) so my husband picked me up at 14.  I learned a couple of things though, I need more upper body and core strength and for next week I need to just do a bunch of loops closer to town instead of my favorite country loops.  The roads are just too bad out there.  I was pretty discouraged but when I looked at my pace and info on my gps I was actually running a pretty good pace (when I was actually running) for a long run especially for those conditions.  I think yesterdays run, had I had good roads, could have been my fastest yet.  I am suppoesed to do 20 next week, should I do that or should I try 18 again?

• lisa83044 Expert 63 posts since
    Jun 20, 2007
    4. Jan 20, 2008 8:40 AM (in response to jenhirr)

Hey everyone,

Sorry I went on a little trip for a friend this weekend and missed my saturday workout, but today I plan to make-up for it at the gym.

Sounds like all of you are doing well. Maybe someday I will be marathon training, but I think it will be a while before I get up to that kind of mileage. I think what I need to do is start more of a actual training regime. I think i will start by doing more of a weekly mileage log. My goal this week will be 14 miles. I will try for 2 miles a day and one longer day of 3. I will also have one day off a week.

Glad to see our group is getting bigger.

Lisa

• Terry4X4 Community Moderator 207 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    5. Jan 20, 2008 9:33 AM (in response to jenhirr)

Jen, sounds like the conditions were brutal.  Toughing it out to 14 is really remarkable considering the weather.  How many more weeks before your next marathon?  I think 18 or 20 will depend on how much time you have left.   

Lisa, yes keeping a log of your mileage has several benefits.  I just keep mine on an Excel sheet.  Using a tab for each year,  you can keep years worth of data on one sheet.  To be really effective you should log not only your mileage but weather, pace, and how you feel.  Then later you can look back at your progress.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...