Skip navigation

14019 Views 62 Replies Latest reply: Feb 2, 2008 11:35 AM by JerryX RSS 1 2 3 ... 5 Previous Next
FormerBAM We're Not Worthy 4,378 posts since
Aug 21, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 25, 2008 4:23 AM

So???  The movie???

Someone tell me how it was.  There's an encore showing on Feb. 21 now (like they didn't know this before...) and I need to decide if I should make plans to attend.  Was it awesome, inspiring, anything we didn't already know and feel?

I gots to know!

• teknofauz Legend 366 posts since
    Nov 21, 2007
    1. Jan 25, 2008 4:56 AM (in response to FormerBAM)
    Re: So??? The movie???

Hey Nita -

Personally I really liked it.  They followed 6 people who were preparing for the 2005 Chicago marathon.  2 elites and 4 regular runners.  I thought the movie was very well done.  You get the feeling of what these people are going through and you understand their experiences.  People in the theater cheered and clapped at different parts.  I would recommend seeing it in the theater.  I walked out pumped to run another one - maybe MCM this year!!!

• FLKaren Legend 1,195 posts since
    Aug 28, 2007
    2. Jan 25, 2008 4:59 AM (in response to FormerBAM)

It was great. You will be able to relate to so many things that the runners, especialy the first timers, think and feel. The footage on the two elite runners was really interesting, although I wish they had expanded that part. It spends a fair amount of time following Deena Kastor's  recovery from an injury.

There is an overhead view of the Chicago marathon and this huge sea of runners that goes on and on and on. That was pretty cool. The film cuts back and forth from the trainees to some of the top names in the sport: Joan Samuelson, Hal Higdon, Bill Rodgers and others talking about running. It will pump you up and you'll want to run home from the theatre. It was well worth going to. It was only about 90 minutes long.

Dig deep, people, you can do it!
    Nov 21, 2007
    3. Jan 25, 2008 5:01 AM (in response to FormerBAM)

Just remembered the photos they showed of the lady who was the first female to run the Boston Marathon.  It was only males and based on how she registered her name she could pass as being male.  Well the director of the race saw her out there running and pretty much jumped her and tried to pull her off the course.  It was hilarious to see the series of photos taken!

Nov 21, 2007
    5. Jan 25, 2008 5:11 AM (in response to FormerBAM)

I think it will be worth seeing in the theater.  You'll enjoy it!

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,369 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    6. Jan 25, 2008 5:28 AM (in response to teknofauz)

Sounds pretty good.  I may try to see the second showing instead of waiting for the DVD.  If I like it I'll buy the DVD anyway.

Len

• DaveVause Community Moderator 1,447 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    7. Jan 25, 2008 6:11 AM (in response to lenzlaw)

See the movie.  Buy the DVD.  All worth it.

BTW, the "female's" name is Kathrine Switzer.

• Irish Runner77 Legend 780 posts since
    Nov 1, 2007
    8. Jan 25, 2008 6:22 AM (in response to FormerBAM)

I enjoyed it, especially the shots talked about above. There was definately a lot that I could relate to with the first timers. I may have to bring more friends to see it on the 21st.

MCM Finisher 2007, 2008, 2009
    CMM Finisher 2008
    Goofy Challenge Finisher 2009, 2010
    Pittsburgh Marathon Finisher 2009
    RnR Seattle Finisher 2009

Richmond Finisher 2009

RnR Las Vegas Finisher 2009

• HALOjen Legend 1,305 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    9. Jan 25, 2008 7:01 AM (in response to FormerBAM)

Loved it.  I could totally relate.  I found the coverage of the elite athletes fascinating.  My favorite insight from the movie was the discussion of the marathon as one of the only events where both elite and amateur athletes can participate in the same event.  In essence, we run in the footsteps of the elites.  I thought this was inspiring.  I really want to run another one!!

I will run for cupcakes!!

• RubyBPG Legend 1,604 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    10. Jan 25, 2008 7:12 AM (in response to FormerBAM)

Sounds like I needed to be there.  I need to feel pumped up again.  These cold winter days are not working for me.  On the up side, the sun is hanging out longer it seems.  I did run on the treadmill yesterday and am thinking about doing it again this morning.

Does anyone know when this movie is expected to come out on dvd?  I can't wait to see it.

http://mynewmarathon.wordpress.com

• HALOjen Legend 1,305 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    11. Jan 25, 2008 7:15 AM (in response to RubyBPG)

There is an encore performance in theaters on February 21st.  I think the DVD is scheduled to come out this summer, but I am not sure about that.

I will run for cupcakes!!

• ActiveAlan Amateur 19 posts since
    Sep 26, 2007
    12. Jan 25, 2008 7:21 AM (in response to FormerBAM)

Saw it last night and I thought it was awesome - very well done.  They tracked a great group of people and had the right combination of inspiration and education.  I'll be picking up a few copies of the DVD's as gifts....

• dutch omi We're Not Worthy 5,642 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    13. Jan 25, 2008 7:28 AM (in response to HALOjen)

Since it didn't play in Vermont I have to wait for the DVD and if it comes out this summer it, no doubt, will get me motivated for Chicago.

• PegMurphy Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 25, 2008
    14. Jan 25, 2008 7:55 AM (in response to FormerBAM)

I really liked the movie - I hope to buy it soon on DVD! I'm an adult (47 year old woman) that ran her first marathon last year. It definitely changed my life and I knew I would complete more. Since then, I've moved across the USA to an outdoors/fitness mecca (Bend, Oregon) and plan to complete the half-marathon in Eugene and the full in Portland. I'll focus on completing AND improving my time. Completing a marathon when the last time I had raced was in college (Peachtree Road Race, a 10k) really drove home for me that I could have the life I wanted. Seeing the movie last night stoked that fire and I can't wait to get out and train today in 5 degree weather!

1 2 3 ... 5 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...