Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

845 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 25, 2008 3:01 PM by Iontach RSS
Issawiem Rookie 2 posts since
Jan 24, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 24, 2008 1:34 PM

Please help new runner!!!

Hello,

I am a new runner.  I have peaked at running 1.5miles in 30min. 3 times a week.  I due elliptical after my run and 2 other dyas during the week for 20-30min.  I want to do a 5K in June this year.  I walk 1/4 mile then run 1.5 miles then slow down with a 1/4 walk.  I struggle with breathing and try to focus on regular breathing.  I was wheezing initially, but since I started using an inhaler 1/2 hr prior to the run I feel better.  How can I prepare for the 5K.  I seem stuck at time trying to add that extra lap.  Please help!!!

Thank you,

Issawiem

• 1to1 Amateur 74 posts since
    Dec 17, 2007
    1. Jan 25, 2008 9:10 AM (in response to Issawiem)
    Re: Please help new runner!!!

Bumping for someone with more experience to answer.

Did you do the Couch to 5K?  Check around for another program to follow if you have.

• alcesalces Rookie 189 posts since
    Jan 4, 2008
    2. Jan 25, 2008 9:21 AM (in response to Issawiem)

if your race isn't until June I would definately try the couch to 5k. It gradually works you up, and is very good to help your breathing catch up. Give it a shot.

• Michael. Community Moderator 516 posts since
    Nov 9, 2007
    3. Jan 25, 2008 9:33 AM (in response to alcesalces)

I think most people on this forum have used C25K to get their start. Honestly, I find it the best and most painless way to reach a 5K goal. I had already began running when I found C25K and I joined at the two week mark because that was about where I was at. If you had already started running find what week you are doing now and put yourself in that week. I seriously recommend finding a thread of runners like yourself who are doing the same week. The motivation and support you get is fantastic.

Mike

• Iontach Rookie 1,340 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. Jan 25, 2008 3:01 PM (in response to Issawiem)

If you're getting out of breath, slow down to a pace that allows you to talk out loud.  You'll be amazed at the difference it makes.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...