Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1278 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Jan 26, 2008 6:23 AM by rbjr76 RSS
triciah211 Rookie 8 posts since
Sep 28, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 25, 2008 8:43 PM

Anyone ever have sciatic nerve damage (sciatica)?

Hi all,

Just wanted to know what other runners have had sciatic nerve damge? For anyone who doesn't know what this is, the sciatic nerve is a long nerve that runs from the base of your spine (lower back) through your leg. The pain is mostly concentrated on one side of the back and runs through the top of your leg (or at least mine does...). Apparently this is a running related injury that usually stems from overtraining or taking on too many miles too quickly. I started having some lower back pain several weeks ago, and I just ignored it and kept running. I ran several tough workouts over the course of a week, and two days later, the pain in my back got so bad I couldn't even walk! I've been going to the chiropractor for a couple weeks now for regular treatments. I can now run a few miles at a slow pace before the pain sets in.

I just wanted to know how long it took other people to heal from this? I am set to run a marathon on March 1st, and it is looking rather doubtful that I will be able to get my training level back up in time to run the race. Any thoughts or comments from people who have had this injury would be most helpful. Thanks!

- T

• rbjr76 Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 15, 2007

Hello there,

The problem that you are describing is  a very common injury that can be prevented. I work as a sports massage therapist and have several clients with the same issue . The first thing is to have a little understanding of the nerve. The Sciatic nerve is the thickest nerve in the body and it runs deep through the lateral rotators and down the back of the leg, and in most cases it runs through the piriformis, the piriformis is a deep lateral rotator of the hip and when the piriformis becomes tight and inflammed it squeezes the sciatic nerve and causes the pain the that goes into the lumbar region of the back ,and into the leg. One thing that can help with the pain is to  focus on stretching your hip rotators, and glutes. One trick that I have my clients do is to sit on a tennis ball on the affected side. I would also suggest finding yourself a massage therapist that does sports massage or clinical massage. Some of the modalities that can help are trigger point therapy, myofascial release, you may also want to look into Kinesio taping, I have used this on a couple of clients and have eliminated the pain.

Best of luck to you

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...