Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

5068 Views 43 Replies Latest reply: Feb 3, 2008 11:33 AM by beachbum724 RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • needmath Rookie 57 posts since
    Dec 31, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Jan 30, 2008 6:01 AM (in response to Ben_Smith)
    Re: C25k Weeks 5-9 (Jan 27- Feb 2)

Ben,

I'm here! If been having the worst time. My internet was running rather slow , which is odd since it's cable. After I wrote a post it wouldn't add it in. I ran spybot and lo and behold I had an issue with a tracking cookie. I got rid of that and things are working fine now, except the weird issue with logging in last night. Thankfully I didn't have that issue this morning.

QOD: I've been reading Jeff Galloway's Book on Running. Though a chunk of the book is on preparing for racing, I find it extremely informative about the physiology of running. It also has training schedules for different events and different times. He is a big advocate of walk breaks. It really is a great resource.

Janice

• BonaDea Rookie 19 posts since
    Jan 29, 2008
    16. Jan 30, 2008 10:43 AM (in response to needmath)

Re: QOD

I also love running outside.  I find running in the morning before work is great.  Even though its summer here at the moment, its nice and cool in the mornings and I can get my run done and have a buzzy feeling all day. 

When I had a gym membership I tried the treadmill, but it was either not quite fast enough or too fast.  Thats the joy of outside running, you can pick or slow down your pace to what suits you.

• 1to1 Amateur 74 posts since
    Dec 17, 2007
    17. Jan 30, 2008 11:28 AM (in response to harrnjos)

Hi Stompers,

Well I kinda did W7D2...I didn't finish the full 25 minute run....now for the excuses--I'm fighting this cold, cough, tired run-down thing.  I will see how W7D3 goes and if I can't do that I will repeat D2.

Still checking around for the best program to following when I get done with C25K. 

Carla

• needmath Rookie 57 posts since
    Dec 31, 2007
    18. Jan 30, 2008 5:24 PM (in response to 1to1)

Carla,  sorry to hear you aren't feeling so hot.  hope day 3 goes great.

Bona, I also enjoy running in the morning.  I don't know about before work though.  I leave for work at 6:30 am and it's winter here so it would still be dark.  In the spring and summer I might switch to mornings from afternoons.

Well,  I did wk 5 day 1 and felt GREAT!  I'm actually looking forward to breaking that 20 min mark on day 3.  I did over estimate my expected distance and ended about 20 min from home.  So, I got in some extra walking.

For those that run outdoors, how do you handle waiting at traffic lights?  I try to plan my route to avoid them.  I had to wait at three of them today and they really throw off the rhythm.

• Mr_Tremor Rookie 98 posts since
    Dec 31, 2007
    20. Jan 30, 2008 9:32 PM (in response to harrnjos)

Week 8 day 2 down. just gotta finish up week 8 on Saturday. I had to take a bathroom break at about 16 mins so I ran an extra 2 minutes at the end. But I am so glad I run on the treadmill, so bathrooms arn't far away.

Good job everyone fighting those colds and cold days outside.

Stomp On!

• Artemisia Jones Rookie 3 posts since
    Jan 31, 2008
    21. Jan 31, 2008 7:15 AM (in response to harrnjos)

Hi everyone - can I play? I just found this site. I've been running off and on for a while and regularly for the last few weeks. I seem to be at roughly week five in the C25K plan, which I'm going to start following. So I'm trailing you all and I'm inspired.

Since I'm new here - I'm a mom of two in my 40s. Not overweight but in crappy shape - I'm having neck and back problems that my PT says are due to flabby muscles in my back and abs. I'm running to increase my endurance and energy and stave off the aging figure. Nothing to be done about the wrinkles, I guess!

I love to run outside - we live on a 1/3 mile loop, so I run/walk it four times each evening. It's nice and dark which is good - I'm really self-conscious about how slow I am and it's nice to know no one can see me!  I'm not built to run (short-legged and curvy) so I'm not looking to run any races - just into the zen of it all. 

• ChrissyMarie040 Rookie 23 posts since
    Aug 10, 2007
    22. Jan 31, 2008 7:58 AM (in response to harrnjos)

Last night I completed W5D2.

On Day 1, I noticed during my last five minutes (toward the last couple minutes) that I was getting kind of a warm feeling in my throat or upper chest.  It wasn't my heart... it was more like my breathing?  Does anyone have any insight?  Is this normal?

Last night, like I said, I completed day 2.  It wasn't so bad.  I run inside, on a treadmill at the gym, which I find easier than when I tried to do this outside over the summer.  I found a great song that's about 5 minutes long and nice and fast, and I just play that on my ipod and kind of zone out while I'm doing it, which gets me through that time.  I added a three-minute one on to that and I was able to do the 8 minutes.

That said, I'm a little skeptical about tomorrow's 20 minutes.  It's kind of a big jump from 8 to 20, right?  Anyone have any tips for me?

• Ben_Smith Rookie 28 posts since
    Dec 29, 2007
    23. Jan 31, 2008 12:27 PM (in response to harrnjos)

W5D3 finished. I ran for 23 minutes without stopping. At the end of the 20 minutes, I was feeling great, so I kept running for 3 extra minutes. I found the run pretty easy and didn't struggle with it at all.  Bring on Week 6.

Yea! I'm happy to see that I'm not alone in Week 5. Hi all of the old New Year's Resolutionists. Don't worry about Day 3. Physically, W1D1-W5D2 prepare you to finish Day 3. Think of it more as a mental challenge than a physical one. Tell yourself that you'll get through it, and you will. If you start telling yourself that you can't you will struggle to finish it. Your mental state is more of a determinant to successfully completing Day 3 than anything else. Aside from that, make sure not to push yourself too hard early on in the run, or else you will have trouble later on, so go slow. For many of us, it will be the first time we run over a mile straight in a long time. Enjoy it. It's one of the first of many accomplishments you'll have as you become a runner. 

The next person needs to do a new question of the day, as I've already done one this week.

• ChrissyMarie040 Rookie 23 posts since
    Aug 10, 2007
    24. Jan 31, 2008 5:02 PM (in response to Ben_Smith)

Ben,

Thank you!  That's good to know, since I have to do this tomorrow morning and I'm already intimidated. I'll just try to remember that like you said, it's more a mental thing than anything else, and if I get really tired, I can just slow down the treadmill...  I don't have to stop altogether, which is a novel concept for me.  I'm usually so all-or-nothing!

• beachbum724 Pro 217 posts since
    Jan 2, 2008
    25. Jan 31, 2008 5:13 PM (in response to Ben_Smith)
    Ben, I am so happy to read your post and think it might be attainable next week!  I'm starting week 5 tomorrow morning and look to your thread to see what's coming for me next.  I'm excited about it after completing week 4 and making it through.  Congratulations on doing 23 minutes and feeling good! 

THE ONLY THING THAT CAN STOP YOU IS YOU!

Started C25K the first time January 2008

Jingle Bell Run December 5, 2009 5K 40:15

Completed C25K January 3, 2010 running 3 miles in 39 minutes

started program again January 21,2012 on my own

Started with a local group in April 2012

Completed C25K with a local running group 6-8-12

Miles for Smiles 5K to be run on 6-15-12

• mickishell Rookie 4 posts since
    Jan 31, 2008
    26. Jan 31, 2008 6:02 PM (in response to harrnjos)

I'm a resolutionist and I didn't even know it.  (I'm new to this board...and I'm glad to have found this group) I started the C25k program at New Year's and this morning I finished my 3dw5 20 minute run.  I feel great!  I was pretty worried about it as I also have had a head cold this week but I got up out of bed and did it! 

I'm also a little bit worried about my speed.  I run on my treadmill and run about 3.5 mph...is this too slow?  I'm looking forward to running outside but I want to make sure I'm "in shape" by Spring so I can take my running outside with confidence.  How fast do you put the treadmill on when you're running?

Again..I'm glad I found this group.  I hope you don't mind me joining.  Have any of you used the C25K podcasts available at itunes?  I love them!

Mickishell

• BonaDea Rookie 19 posts since
    Jan 29, 2008
    27. Jan 31, 2008 7:23 PM (in response to Artemisia Jones)

Artemisia: I can soooooooooooooooooo relate to the self conscious thing.  I'm huffing and puffing away with my short little legs.  Feeling good for doing the running, but not quite ready for the general public to see.

• Ben_Smith Rookie 28 posts since
    Dec 29, 2007
    28. Jan 31, 2008 8:05 PM (in response to BonaDea)

Hi all Couch Stompers (this group's name is Stomping on the Couch, not New Year's Resolutionist)

Don't worry about your speed. So what if you go slow. You are running. Most people can't run a mile and soon you'll be running 2-3 miles three times a week. Besides, there is so much more to running than speed or distance. I often wonder about those who are faster.  Why rush through such an enjoyable activity? A book I recently read (described in an earlier post) pointed out all the wonders which slower runners (called Penguins by the author) have which are completely missed by the faster runners. Take you time and have fun. Don't rush it. Let others worry about speed. You only need to worry about enjoying the run and observing things around you as you run.  

• beachbum724 Pro 217 posts since
    Jan 2, 2008
    29. Jan 31, 2008 8:31 PM (in response to mickishell)
    Mickishell- I run at 3.5 on the TM too, and walk at 2.5 to recover.  Don't worry about speed right now.  We're outrunning the couch!

THE ONLY THING THAT CAN STOP YOU IS YOU!

Started C25K the first time January 2008

Jingle Bell Run December 5, 2009 5K 40:15

Completed C25K January 3, 2010 running 3 miles in 39 minutes

started program again January 21,2012 on my own

Started with a local group in April 2012

Completed C25K with a local running group 6-8-12

Miles for Smiles 5K to be run on 6-15-12

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...