Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

16029 Views 47 Replies Latest reply: Mar 2, 2008 12:51 AM by pcrunner RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • CarboDiem Rookie 14 posts since
    Jan 25, 2005
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Jan 23, 2008 5:20 PM (in response to saraallent)
    Re: Katie Holmes Back At It And Headed To Beantown

I think Katie Holmes should be allowed to run Boston for the good PR that celebrity runners can bring.  Anything that encourages people to exercise in general and run marathons in particular promotes good health.  I had to work very hard to qualify and missed last year due to injury (but am back now), so I know how much it costs in time and effort.  Like someone else said, the race gives away a lot of free numbers to worthy causes.  Promoting the race and marathoning qualifies as a worthy cause in my book.    It is cool to come home and say you saw a celebrity too.   I saw Dean Karnazes when I ran Hartford when he ran it in Oct 2006, which made me feel cool.  I don't know if she can act or is just famous because she married Tom Cruise, but my wife would think it was cool if I came home and said I saw someone famous like that.  Let her run, what the heck.

• Victor M Ierulli Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 24, 2008
    16. Jan 24, 2008 8:50 AM (in response to saraallent)

I had always wanted to do Boston, this cheapens the whole event.

• reyana ewing Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 25, 2007
    17. Jan 25, 2008 5:32 PM (in response to saraallent)

It is not my place to judge.  Boston reserves spots for charity runners and I think it's great.  I have qualified for Boston 4 times now and have not  had a chance to get over there yet, with three kids and all.  She can gladly take my spot.  In fact, if I had that kind of money, I would feel honored to donate some of it to a wonderful charity and be a part of such a great race.  Will Ferrell ran Boston by donating money as well.  I think that is great.  As a group, runners are very accepting, supportive and embracing.  I feel that at every race from the back of the pack runners to the elites.  Her presence at New York has helped to promote the sport of marathoning and that is a good thing.  I wish her well with marathoning.

• gurunner45 Rookie 4 posts since
    Jan 25, 2008
    18. Jan 28, 2008 7:12 AM (in response to saraallent)

Well I think that this means that the Boston Marathon is not what it is meant to be, the ultimate race for any runner that can qualify at another race with the time given for their age group. I belong to a local running team and have qualified once and that was a big deal to me. I ended up not going because I got divorced and could not afford to make the trip. But Boston has even relaxed the qualifing times for all the age groups since the first time I had ever heard of anyone going to Boston. If Katie wants to do another one just to do it why doesn't she do one like NYC marathon or Chicago Marathon and then qualify like the rest of us. Yeah it would be cool to say you saw her in a the race but it would also be cool to say that because she qualifed like the rest of us that she is more like one of us. Boston this is really unfair to those that through pains, aches and even injuries don't qualify because you say their times were not good enough, hello you just made your race the same as everyone elses, so why not do a way with the time qualifications?

• stuartelliott001 Amateur 12 posts since
    Oct 27, 2007
    19. Jan 28, 2008 7:22 AM (in response to CarboDiem)

To many of us...Running the Boston Marathon is very very special.

I have run over 14 marathons and have yet to qualify for Boston. My goal is to accomplish this and i will with a lot of work. If I can't qualify I would elect to represent one of the many charities that would provide my with entry. NO WAY should Katie be given a number for the Boston Marathon.....If I'm mistaken I apologize but did she even volunteer to collect for a charity?...

• CtKahanamoku Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 27, 2007
    20. Jan 28, 2008 7:38 PM (in response to saraallent)

You guys need to relax just a little....Its Katie, mom to little surrie (sp?).  If she speeds up an hour or so I'd like to use her as a pace runner

• Cabezon Amateur 8 posts since
    Oct 4, 2007
    21. Jan 29, 2008 12:25 PM (in response to JR007)

I don't mind so much the exemption, lots of people get them.  But why bother going through all the hoopla if you are not going to run the marathon and have someone carry your chip?  that is just stupid.  That also might be why the sites are saying that she's not doing Boston.  She'd be under a microscope, and cheating Boston would really be bad.

• triandtriagain Rookie 6 posts since
    Jul 30, 2007
    22. Jan 30, 2008 4:28 PM (in response to saraallent)

For the benefit of the sport, I say let her run. But personally, I'd take some time off from being "Mrs. Tom Cruise" to improve my time (by like two hours...)

• IF1THEN0@COMCAST.NET Rookie 4 posts since
    Feb 1, 2008
    23. Feb 1, 2008 5:22 AM (in response to saraallent)

My guess is you are getting a lot of people that agree with you.  I just missed my Boston time by 48 seconds and can't run it yet. Doesn't seem fair, does it.  I am happy to hear that she is out there, but leave Boston to those who earned it.

SpongeBob

• Jennefer Lloyd Rookie 7 posts since
    Jan 27, 2008
    24. Feb 1, 2008 10:46 AM (in response to saraallent)

I totally agree with you - I thought Boston held themselves above that kind of action. It is really frustrating to hear this as I have friends who have been working hard to qualify - how de-motivating for them. On top of it...What does it say about Katie that she doesn't WANT to qualify to run.

• JR007 Amateur 51 posts since
    Nov 18, 2007

If she ran the marathon, based on her NYC performance, wouldn't she be the only one left on the course near the end of the race? I don't know all the details of the race, but if everyone else runs a sub 4 hr race and she runs close to a 6 hr race......wouldn't she be the only one left on the street at the end?

• Jim2003 Rookie 17 posts since
    Dec 23, 1999
    26. Feb 2, 2008 8:29 PM (in response to JR007)

Last year, 36% of all finishers (7351 finishers) were slower than 4-hours. Remember, Boston does have a lot of charity runners.

A couple of weeks ago, she said on the Letterman show that she has no plans to run Boston. She said that the hills intimidate her.

Does anyone know if Katie was granted entry to NYCM as a celebrity or did she enter through a charity? Paying the minimum needed for a charity entry would be pocket change for her. And, if she did want to run Boston, she could always get in through a charity....just as anyone else can.

• Fran Crawford Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 14, 2008
    27. Feb 4, 2008 9:11 AM (in response to saraallent)

Katie has the courage to take a lot of flack for running the Boston Marathon on celebrity status alone.  She didn't have the best time in the world running NYC and has to publicly show that time and again.  It will be some distraction and entertainment for us. Let's support Katie Holmes, a fellow runner, who in her special way is telling the world running is a great thing.

Active Fran

• treadmilly Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 4, 2008

I think Katie Holmes should be able to run Boston...if she qualifies. Boston is a huge goal for many runners (self included) that it shouldn't be cheapened by unqualified celebrity entries. I went to high school with Katie, so I'm not starstruck by the prospect of running beside her.  I would be more excited about running next to fellow athletes who have worked hard and sacrificed to have earned a place in the race.

• Jim2003 Rookie 17 posts since
    Dec 23, 1999
    29. Feb 4, 2008 10:35 AM (in response to treadmilly)

How about if she were to enter through a charity just as any non-celebrity runner can? Do you think that charity entrants "cheapen" Boston?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...