Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1735 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Mar 7, 2008 8:30 PM by spicegeek
EIgirl Community Moderator 395 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 3, 2008 2:14 PM

Long Run Nick Qualified For Boston - What are your goals?

I just thought it was very inspritational to hear that someone who have been such a big help to new runners, at 65, qualified for the first time to run in Boston.  He's always been a help, but now he's inspirational as well.  It got me to thinking about Goals in general.  We're way past New Years at this point.  What are your goals for the year?

I would like to get to a point where I run abut 15 miles a week, get back into horse back riding and start volunteering somewhere.

• Michael. Community Moderator 516 posts since
    Nov 9, 2007

While I am not going to be qualifying for Boston anytime soon it is great that a Coolrunning legend like NIck made Boston.

Myself I have had a long time goal of running a marathon in the spring of 09 but now I am wondering if I can do it this November. I think my training in the next three months will help make up my mind on when I will make the 26.2 mile challenge.

Mike

• spicegeek Community Moderator 2,563 posts since
    Jan 14, 2007

25 - 30 mpw and 4 runs per week by the end of the year ( I`m up to 15 mpw as of this week alternating 3 and 4 runs - building slowly after a stress fracture )

run at least 2 half marthons this year - I have registered for Chicago and applied for NYC - if I don`t get in NYC I`ll run one of the NYRR halfs later in year

Run 9 NYRR races to qualify for entry to the 2009 NYC Marathon - I have 3 down !

chest press  3 sets of 10 reps at 100lbs without a spot - I can do 95 right now

Lose another 15 - 20lbs

Next year I plan to work on speed

run the 2009 NYC Marathon

NYC Marathon          Nov 1 2009     -   4:03:13 ( 9:17 mm )

NYC Half Marathon   Aug 16 2009   -   1:55:38 ( 8:49 mm )

1 mile -  7:07                             10K     - 52:58 ( 8:32 mm)

4 mile - 31:35 ( 7:53 mm)          8K      - 42:28 ( 8:32 mm)

15K -     1:22:02 ( 8:49 mm)

Find the Half Marathon Team on FACEBOOK

• newyorkchick Rookie 108 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

Spicegeek, we have some goals in common. My three main goals for this year and next year are:

Run the NYC half marathon (or another half if I don't get in)

Run 9 NYRR qualifying races so I can get into the 2009 NYC marathon (1 down so far... plan to do my next in April!)

Run the 2009 NYC marathon

• Michael. Community Moderator 516 posts since
    Nov 9, 2007

My Goals??????

2008 Santa Clarita 1/2 Marathon (Nov)

2009 Los Angeles Marathon

Above all.....avoiding injury

• Long Run Nick Amateur 277 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

First I have seen this thread. Thanks for posting.  I love attention. To set the record straight-I am ONLY 64(:  and the qualifying time for Boston for 60-64 is sub 4 hrs. I will only mention for the 10,000 + times that I finished at 3:57:48----which was 12 seconds faster than my first marathon back in 1977(3:58:00) at age 34. Were I 65, (Sept '08), I could have "coasted" and got in under 4:15. I do appreciate your kind words.

My new goal is to run my first 50 miler since 1993. Back then could finish under 9 hrs. Hope to run the Tallahassee Ultra Distance Classic in December. Goal: finish smiling. Will train:run/walk and will do the same for the ultra. My PR for a 50 milerroad course was 8: 16 all the way back in 1983. Even back then I would run/walk my ultras. Rarely ran over 50 miles a week back then. Low heart rate training got me  back to running 6 days a week and built my mileage up to 55-60 per week: I ran more miles in 2007:2,386 than I had run in a year since 1984!!then a spry lad of 41.

If all goes well I  am considering  a 100K Ultra (62.5 miles) in March of '09. I had a DNF(got to 53 milesleg crampedbad) the last time I attempted the distance back in the early 90's. So yes, the sickness continues. I would be remiss if I didn't mention how greatful I am for my health and the ability to put one foot in front of the other. I honestly love running more now--because I appreciate the 3+ decades and all the wonderful people I have met and the great memories. Nick 

Jan 14, 2007

hey newyorkchick !  Good luck with your goals ! I thought I was the only nut on the 2 year marathon training plan !!! I run race 4 this weekend - I`m trying to get them in before it gets hot and yucky !

If you want a training buddy for your longer runs let me know - I try and do a weekend run in central park - once the weather gets better I`ll move one or 2 of my mid week runs outside also  - I trained a little with a friend last year and found the company enjoyable

• newyorkchick Rookie 108 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

Thanks spicegeek! I have been thinking about doing some runs in Central Park sometime soon so if I do decide to, I will let you know. I live downtown and usually run along the path on the Hudson River.

BTW, did you see that there is now a requirement that in addition to running 9 races, you must also volunteer at one? Just thought I'd let you know in case you didn't already. It's on the NYRR website: http://www.ingnycmarathon.org/entrantinfo/guaranteed_requirements.php

• Yorkshire009 Rookie 35 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

Not alone x 2!  I'm also on the same path - race 4 this weekend (although race 2 for me was the un-timed snowflake run which I didn't actually show up for, even though I got the qualifiying point, so I feel like I have to do an extra race to maintain my honor...)

• nosirrahm Expert 92 posts since
    Jan 16, 2008

I have lots o' goals.  =o)  Some short and some long.

Finish C25K

Walk/run Arizona Distance Classic in a week (unsure of this since I have an injury at the moment).

Hike roundtrip to Plateau Point in Grand Canyon in May 08 (I know I can do this, but it has been a while).

I have a goal to run the Reggae Marathon in Jamaica in Decemer 2009.

Spend a night in the Ice Hotel in 2009 (maybe 2010).

I, too, would like to run NYC Marathon in 2010 - I used to volunteer for the race when I lived in NY (nothing nerve racking than standing on 4th Ave in Bklyn ready to note the lead men's bib numbers and times to call in).  I have a friend that is a major player there so I think she can get me in (she roped me into volunteering).

Michele

Started C25K on 6/17/10 

W4: Completed 7/13/10

Garmin: nosirrahm

Jan 14, 2007

I`ll be there Sunday too ! - don`t forget the clocks changed !!

I actualy ran the snowflake - they did a great job of clearing the course I glad I went out

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...