Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

16627 Views 47 Replies Latest reply: Mar 2, 2008 12:51 AM by pcrunner Go to original post 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • RKHII83 Pro 166 posts since
    Oct 1, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Feb 5, 2008 10:46 AM (in response to saraallent)
    Re: Katie Holmes Back At It And Headed To Beantown

You all better be careful or or her wild-eyed loon of a husband will send Xenu in his spaceship to take you away.

• lahrunner Pro 103 posts since
    Dec 21, 2007
    31. Feb 5, 2008 10:56 AM (in response to RKHII83)

Hey Professor HK!  Nice to see you on a different discussion!  I dabbled on this one back on page two.  Don't think, though, Mrs. Tom "Whack Job" Cruise will be running Boston.....or possibly any marathon in the near future.   An angry mob led by NoHeartSenior and his trust sidekick, FrankenMary, might ensue and no one - not even Tom, L. Ron and Xenu could stop them!!!

Dec 21, 2007
    32. Feb 5, 2008 10:58 AM (in response to lahrunner)

oops!  That was suppose to read, "Professor RK!!"

Oct 1, 2007
    33. Feb 5, 2008 11:15 AM (in response to lahrunner)

lahrunner - Hey there. I was just jumping around and saw this one. I doubt I will engage seriously though. Seems to be very much like the ipod thread. The naysayers are the self proclaimed "elites".  I for one, could care less who gets an exemption or what their time is.  If the system allows for exemptions then NOBODY gets to b.i.t.c.h. about it.  If your panties are in that much of a knot - stay home, don't run and go find some other windmill to tilt at.

Because of my prior military service and some "connections" I can get exemptions for Boston.  I'd probably finish around 4:20 (which wasn't a qualifying time last I checked).  Do I care?  No.  Will I run?  Planning on it for 2010.  Do I care what some "elite" thinks?  Absolutely not.  After the stuff I went through in the Sand Box my last three deployments I can absolutely guarantee that any "elite" out there who would be stupid enough to question my entry and participation using an exemption would most decidedly not like the way that conversation would go at all.  In fact, I would give them about 15 seconds before they started crying and wishing that their mother had never kissed their father.

• JR007 Amateur 51 posts since
    Nov 18, 2007
    35. Feb 5, 2008 12:57 PM (in response to saraallent)

Why would anyone want to participate in an event w/o qualifying for it???

Oct 1, 2007
    36. Feb 5, 2008 1:05 PM (in response to saraallent)

Thanks Sara, Wow!!

Not the response I expected. I would hardly say what I did was heroic - I came home. The real heroes didn't. At least not the way their families wanted them too. But I truly appreciate your kind words.

I guess my point is, if the race allows for exemptions, no one should question it. The only issue might be this.  If Katie Holmes runs a 5:30 and someone else runs a 5:30, I would agree that celebrity status should be the least of the factors in deciding to grant an exemption.  But then again, it's not up to me so what does my opinion count for?

Anyway, thanks again - you really have no idea how you have made my day with your kind words.  People like you are why people like me do what we do.  Certainly not for the thanks, but because we know there are people like you out there.

Be Well my friend.

Oct 1, 2007
    37. Feb 5, 2008 2:32 PM (in response to lahrunner)

NHS is back at it on the ipod thread.

• parrott77 Rookie 2 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    38. Feb 8, 2008 9:22 AM (in response to saraallent)

Frank the Tank!  Frank the Tank! Remember Will Ferrell got a sponsor exemption for Boston in 2003.  He had competed in other marathon before the prestigious Boston - NYC in 5 hours, Stockholm in 4 1/2 hours, but that still isn't qualifying.  The reality is celebrities embracing a race requiring such incredible energy and demands of time (their hourly fees are alot higher than mine) can do nothing but help support the sport and industries of running.  Katie just isn't embraced by the mass media in a similar positive light...I mean Funny or Die beats her husband's video any day of the year.  Cheers!

Attachments:
  • parrott77 Rookie 2 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    40. Feb 8, 2008 10:38 AM (in response to saraallent)

3 hours, 56 minutes, 12 second

http://www.usatoday.com/life/2003-04-21-ferrell_x.htm

• carole donohue Rookie 4 posts since
    Nov 8, 2007
    42. Feb 9, 2008 4:58 AM (in response to Erin in AZ)

Yes, most people do have to qualify, but did you think that maybe she has joined a team and has raised money for a charitable organization?  This is most likely what she has done and let me tell you,  I'm sure she was generous!  So it is a win-win here,  and I hope she gets a better time and has some fun!  I'll be looking for her as I am doing it this year as well.  I did it the past 2 years and have not done as well as I would like, so this year is it!!! Keep your fingers crossed for sunny and calm and 50 degrees!!  Carole

• Santiago91 Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 9, 2008
    43. Feb 9, 2008 7:30 AM (in response to saraallent)

It is great that Holmes has taken to the sport. However, I take issue with her receiving an exemption to run Boston "IF" it is based on her celebrity. There are many marathons that are open to all who wish to test their metal, but let's leave Boston to those who merit the privilege. Just as I would surely be turned away if I showed up at a red carpet event, so should Holmes be kept from running the most revered 26.2 miles in the world. Let her stand on the roadside and snap pictures and ask for the autograph of the world's elite runners.

Dec 21, 2007

carole donohue wrote:

Yes, most people do have to qualify, but did you think that maybe she has joined a team and has raised money for a charitable organization?  This is most likely what she has done and let me tell you,  I'm sure she was generous!  So it is a win-win here,  and I hope she gets a better time and has some fun!  I'll be looking for her as I am doing it this year as well.  I did it the past 2 years and have not done as well as I would like, so this year is it!!! Keep your fingers crossed for sunny and calm and 50 degrees!!  Carole

Katie Holmes didn't run for a charity for NYC but should have, considering there were many others that deserved her spot (and the spot(s) her bodyguard(s) took)!  I'm sure you qualified for your Boston spot, Carole, but she didn't.   However, if the tabloids are correct, this is all a moot point  because she's not running Boston and shouldn't unless she qualifies.  Boston does not need a celebrity for publicity.  It's prestigious status and history is well recognized and respected and  will continue to be, without a Katie Holmes.  Leave Boston to those runners, like yourself, you have worked hard to qualify.  Or, as Active Sara had stated, if there are going to be exceptions, then our men and women who serve or have served in the military deserve those exceptions over a pampered, wealthy celebrity.   Good luck to you, Carole!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...