Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

7008 Views 44 Replies Latest reply: Mar 7, 2008 4:00 PM by SpeedyMe RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • meary Rookie 71 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Nov 21, 2007 1:22 PM (in response to SandraDee041)
    Re: Anybody run during their lunch break?

quote:

Originally posted by anaphase:

Baby wipes, people! Couple that with low maintenance hair & makeup and eating at your desk (or splitting lunch up into bigger snacks, pre and post run), and it's doable. Maybe not every day, but a few times per week.

Dude! This is my ritual everyday. I'm sure there are co-workers that say "eew" when they find out I just ran 5 miles and I am not showering but I could give a rat's ***. They sat and ate a bag of potato chips while I was running so I am disgusted by that !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|border=0!. So there.

I actually love running during lunch because then I don't have to worry about going out in the earlymornings in the dark or in the evenings when I don't feel like it.  I find I am more energetic when I return from my run and my afternoons are great!

• BonitaApplebum Rookie 298 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    31. Nov 21, 2007 1:29 PM (in response to SandraDee041)

I used to do it at my old job without showering, just washing up afterward... but I worked in a super duper casual workplace AND hardly even worked face-to-face with anybody. Most of my colleagues were on the west coast, and I never met clients onsite.

It wasn't possible in the summer -- even I have limits -- but it was a really awesome way to spend lunch the rest of the year. And it was like fitting in a workout without losing any time from my day!

:: Bonita

• wyrillco Rookie 298 posts since
    Oct 3, 2007
    32. Nov 21, 2007 2:48 PM (in response to SandraDee041)

quote:

Originally posted by anaphase:

Well, everyone is different. I guess I don't care if I'm red-faced, as long as I don't reek. !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!

I have super short hair, and I do turn beet red, but I guess I don't sweat a lot. At least not in the winter. In the summer, I definitely sweat a ton, but then I wouldn't run at noon anyway during those months because it's too hot.

Yeah, the red face doesn't bother me.  It's the nastiness on my head.    

I also do not run outside over lunch in the summer. Too hot. I never cool off then.

In the winter, it's all good.

• grimupnorth Rookie 204 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    33. Nov 21, 2007 4:06 PM (in response to SandraDee041)

quote:

Originally posted by welshtroll:

what's a lunch break? !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/frown.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/frown.gif|border=0!

I was thinking exactly the same thing. I usually don't get to eat my lunch until teatime.

Teacher, right?

• wkm99 Rookie 337 posts since
    Jun 30, 2006
    34. Nov 21, 2007 4:29 PM (in response to SandraDee041)

Wish I could run during lunch and shower but not enough time.   

Early morning running for me, shower, groom, go to work.  My day jams up so I don't have time to run in the evenings (usually) plus I'm tired.

• PeterP002 Rookie 98 posts since
    Mar 13, 2001
    35. Nov 23, 2007 9:17 AM (in response to SandraDee041)

quote:

Originally posted by henrydavidhall:

luckily, there is shower at work and a boss who does not know when I am gone. I've done 16 mile runs during "lunch". The Male Pattern Baldness helps with the post-run hair issue.

16 has me beat.  My longest during lunch is 12, but my usual is anywhere between 3 and 8.  We don't have a shower but they have this thing called deodorant now.

• sushik Rookie 71 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    36. Nov 23, 2007 9:56 AM (in response to SandraDee041)

I would love to, but am in the ranks of those who absolutely need a shower.  Not just for my hair, but the beet red face and sweaty disposition.

If I had access to a shower (which I've requested a few times), I would go back to having short wash and wear hair so that I wouldn't have to worry about how it looks after a very quick shower.

I work for a cosmetics/fragrance company, and wouldn't even care if I had to spend the afternoon without makeup.

• homeskoolyZ Rookie 62 posts since
    Jan 11, 2008
    37. Feb 8, 2008 8:18 AM (in response to SandraDee041)

+I would really like to

go out and run during my lunch break at work but I know I would look

like **** upon my return and all the changing of clothes would get

annoying.+

Does it work for anybody?

OMG!  LOL!

• Eric Cahill Rookie 8 posts since
    Jan 30, 2006
    38. Feb 8, 2008 7:37 PM (in response to SandraDee041)

I've started doing it more and more since my oldest started Kindergarten this year and I drive her to school in the AM before work and I am consequently leaving just that much earlier.  With the winter weather, those 5am runs just haven't quite worked out as consistently as I would have thought.  I keep my hair buzzed short on the sides and back and not much more on top so that makes things pretty easy.  Someone else mentioned wet wipes.  Yes they work.  I also heard somewhere and have since found it to be true that sweat doesn't smell when it's fresh.  It's only when you let it "ferment" for a couple of days that you really start to reak.  I've had some weeks lately where I've put in 4 to 6 miles every day of the week.  I just make sure I rotate my shirts every day, and wash my pants or shorts every couple of days.  I've even gotten by with just rinsing the tech shirts out in the sink, wringing them out and letting them air dry.  I bring a towel to dry off, stretch out in my office and do a quick change and I'm good to go.  The only drawback is eating at my desk while working to make up the lost time.  Everyone says that's a bad way to eat.  Well, I guess it's all a trade off...

• cclaydog Rookie 25 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    39. Feb 11, 2008 12:28 PM (in response to SandraDee041)

Running during lunch is perfect for winter days. Yea, you still smell like you just ran, but it beats running when it's 10-15 degrees colder and no sunlight after work.

I like to squeeze in a 7-8 mile easy run at least once a week. When the boss is gone, the mileage goes up...

• blackholesun Rookie 19 posts since
    Sep 5, 2007
    40. Feb 14, 2008 10:47 PM (in response to SandraDee041)

No I eat...

• rainfire64D Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    41. Feb 18, 2008 12:47 PM (in response to SandraDee041)

A few times a week I get about 5K done on the treadmill in our fitness center, I would much rather run further, but in order to get some food, 5K is the limit at my pace.

• Julie D Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 21, 2007
    42. Feb 29, 2008 8:34 AM (in response to SandraDee041)

I run at least 3 times a week at lunch but I do it later, around 3 so that when I get back, I don't have to worry about being sweaty for too much of the day.  We don't have a shower but I do use baby wipes and lots of deodarant.  The run is refreshing and often relieves the stress of the day and I don't have to worry about trying to get my run in at night.

• mTabman Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 25, 2007
    43. Mar 5, 2008 6:02 AM (in response to SandraDee041)

Absolutely I do. If I didn't I'd never be able to get all my mileage in. Plus it really gives me a boost for the rest of my day. I am lucky that my gym is near my office. I go to the gym change into my running clothes and then out the door I go. (I hate running on treadmills, and do so only when I have no other choice). I run in a neighbor around my gym and then come back and take my shower. no one even knows i'm gone. my co-workers take up to two hour lunches with friends so i have no guilt.

Go for it, you'll feel great.

have to run,

Melody

Attachments:
  • SpeedyMe Rookie 8 posts since
    Mar 7, 2008
    44. Mar 7, 2008 4:00 PM (in response to mTabman)

I have never ran during lunch.  Don't have enough time to do it.  I know someone who runs to and from work.  I wouldn't be able to do either because I would have to shower afterwards.

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...