Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

32838 Views 285 Replies Latest reply: Nov 14, 2012 2:28 PM by JEFF CT RSS Go to original post 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 Previous Next
  • unenlightend Pro 159 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    270. Nov 15, 2007 11:09 AM (in response to Guest )
    Re: the pact

Wow, I leave the boards for a while and the thread gets neglected. sniffle

• the kenyan Legend 1,152 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    271. Nov 15, 2007 2:59 PM (in response to Guest )

YAYAYAY!!!

• Crazy1004 Legend 1,032 posts since
    Jan 29, 2006
    272. Nov 15, 2007 4:07 PM (in response to Guest )

quote:

Originally posted by ominousguy:

just making a note that the western states has qualifying times and a lottery in order to get in. http://www.ws100.com/qualifying.htm[/URL" target="_blank">

I hate spoilsports.

----

"Like you did as a child, take the quiet path, the scenic route. Pedal the back roads, slip through the neighborhoods. Suck in the sharp air.
    Smell the trees...."

Mark Jenkins
    My User Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

They didn’t know my shoulder was broken so I just kept riding

People don't Understand how hard it is to win a bike race...That my problem...I make it look easy

• little wing Pro 114 posts since
    Jan 15, 2002
    273. Nov 21, 2007 1:36 PM (in response to Guest )

quote:

Originally posted by the kenyan:

believe it or not folks, i'm actually running again, not just jawing off on online forums and playing poker. This is about my half dozenth (thats a word right?) comeback attempt, so we'll see how long it really lasts. My main immediate motivation, of course, being to make a run at my highly beatable marathon PR (3:28)....and hopefully drop another few toenails in the process. Given the vast amount of time i spent being a couch potato and working on my keg, and the magnitude of fitness I lost as a result, this will take at least a year's worth of consistent training to work.....but it's doable. I would estimate my 100% max potential, max effort, max favorable circumstances performance to be somewhere in the low 2:50s, but that would be a few years away IF i can somehow keep myself consistently fit for that long. As far as time goals go, the one I really want to hit is <3:11 for the BQ. Right now I'm still at the point where i'm thrilled about being able to complete 30 minutes.......compared to my ultimate peak when anything under 60 felt short. It's all about the baby steps. At least I'm only 22, so I have a lot of peak time to ride things out......and 8 years to have enough endurance to crawl my way through 100.2 miles in <30:00:00.

I trust everyone else is tapering already?

haha, your story sounds like mine. except I haven't actually gotten back into it unless you count running all over campus to get to classes on time.
    i am approaching my 50th attempt as a comeback runner.

----

some quotes worth putting up:
    "I aint scared of al Quaida, I'm scared of al cracka" - Chris Rock
    If you're working at Wal-mart and have 10 kids, stop having kids - Charles Barkley
    If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other - Mother Teresa

• Professor010 Legend 613 posts since
    Nov 6, 2002
    274. Jan 18, 2008 2:16 PM (in response to Guest )

i'm always shocked when i come back to coolrunning on a whim after a hiatus of who-knows-how-many months and this thread is still alive.

(and while this new format throws me off, it's nice to know that i'm apparently still one of way cool running's top posters...)

also, if anyone actually remembers me and/or cares, i'm still running track and cross-country for my D3 college team, spending a lot of time stuck in ruts because my life no longer revolves around running and that seems to be a motivation killer...oh yes, and i will soon have 6 months to do with my running schedule what i wish because i'm missing next fall's cross season to study abroad. so hopefully, i will get at least one half in for the first time this summer, and perhaps a full marathon in Ireland, if i can find one.   maybe when i get back i'll return to running dozens of laps around a tiny cicle, maybe not...

Aug 15, 2007
    275. Feb 9, 2008 8:01 PM (in response to Professor010)

sweeeet, this thread is still alive!

Professor- We're still on for Jay right?

• kirby111 Legend 402 posts since
    Sep 22, 2007
    276. Feb 9, 2008 8:05 PM (in response to the kenyan)

Jay is a sick race. There are probably three miles of running through a stream, not crossing it, but running in the middle as if it was a bike path.

• kirby111 Legend 402 posts since
    Sep 22, 2007
    277. Feb 9, 2008 8:07 PM (in response to kirby111)

Here I am, different race, water still sucked, probably took 15-20 minutes off my time by crossing it four times.

Attachments:
    Aug 15, 2007
    278. Mar 3, 2009 11:41 AM (in response to kirby111)

• thatrunnerdan Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 3, 2010
    279. Jan 3, 2010 12:59 PM (in response to the kenyan)

I find it freakin' amazing that this thread is still alive. Thanks Kenyan. Time's really flown by. And I'm old and fat. By my standards at least. Ah, the joys of full time employment then giving it all up for grad school....

Aug 15, 2007
    280. Jan 12, 2010 7:47 AM (in response to thatrunnerdan)

good, we're in the same boat! So we'll have something to commiserate over in 5 years!

• thatrunnerdan Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 3, 2010
    281. Jul 13, 2011 6:35 PM (in response to the kenyan)

Well, nine years after the pact was started, I'm finally signed up for my first marathon. Oddly, it's a few years after registering for my first 50K, which, sadly, was my first DNF in a race. A couple months til the marathon, and I'm only running like twice a week. Crap. But if I survive it, I'm thinking about the Laurel Highlands Ultra in my future. I've been thinking about it in my future for years now, but a marathon under my belt would make it seem much more realistic.

• StillTheKenyan Rookie 5 posts since
    Sep 9, 2011
    282. Sep 9, 2011 8:22 PM (in response to thatrunnerdan)
    the pact

You mean all that and I BEAT you to the marathon??.....The only problem is that I ran my marathon nearly 6 years ago and haven't done diddly since then.   However I do live at 7000 feet now, so it's the perfect spot to get primed for Squaw Valley! 4 years should be enough time to get geared up for 100 miles, right? 

Sep 9, 2011
    283. Sep 9, 2011 8:31 PM (in response to StillTheKenyan)

Also, you may want to try www.chrunners.net or www.kickrunners.com .  That's where most of the coolrunning crew fled to after Active raped these boards.

Wow, in the span of this thread I graduated high school, graduated college, finished grad school, got a job and moved damn near across the country.  Time flies when you're havin fun! 

Sep 9, 2011
    284. Jul 29, 2012 8:59 PM (in response to StillTheKenyan)
    the pact

Pssst.  3 years to go!

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...