Skip navigation

36057 Views 138 Replies Latest reply: Sep 16, 2009 4:48 PM by dutch omi RSS 1 2 3 ... 10 Previous Next
Jimmy_D_Jarhead We're Not Worthy 4,477 posts since
Dec 15, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 12, 2008 7:47 PM

Why do you still run?

I want to start by apologizing for seeming to be in rare form the past week or so.  I have never been without running and can't understand why people who once ran quit.  I wanted to start a thread so others can respond and maybe find solace in why others stil run.

I still run because if I don't I become a very angry, bitter person.  I am afraid to quit.

Jimmy

|

This place is like home!!!!

• MCM Ron Legend 1,916 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    1. Feb 12, 2008 7:50 PM (in response to Jimmy_D_Jarhead)
    Re: Why do you still run?

I still run because I found -- and it took me many, many years to find this out  -- that I love to run!!!

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.  (from my ice tea lid)

• Irish Runner77 Legend 780 posts since
    Nov 1, 2007
    2. Feb 12, 2008 8:02 PM (in response to Jimmy_D_Jarhead)

Because its one of the few times I feel in control, and no matter how hard it was to get started, or how much I have to push to get through, the way I feel at the end of a run is usually the best I feel all day.

And because I have a picture of myself on my dresser, weighing just under 300 lbs, to which I say never again.

MCM Finisher 2007, 2008, 2009
    CMM Finisher 2008
    Goofy Challenge Finisher 2009, 2010
    Pittsburgh Marathon Finisher 2009
    RnR Seattle Finisher 2009

Richmond Finisher 2009

RnR Las Vegas Finisher 2009

• dutch omi We're Not Worthy 5,642 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    3. Feb 12, 2008 8:29 PM (in response to Jimmy_D_Jarhead)

I ski/run because I need to keep my head clear, have control over my lazy tendencies, stay healthy and plainly just love to be outside.  And in addition, I love my food and drink and without running I'd be a ten ton annie.  And to be honest, after a week of sitting on my duff, I get as cranky as cranky gets.

• Charlie!2 Legend 1,128 posts since
    Jan 21, 2008
    4. Feb 13, 2008 3:57 AM (in response to Jimmy_D_Jarhead)

I run mainly because it's fun.

Other reasons: 

- Because it keeps me healthy!

- Lets me eat anything I want...in other words...I run to eat!  Can I still eat anything I want and be healthy?  Had ribs, fries, salad with blue cheese dressing and ice tea last night.

- It's great to get out and compete.

- It's great to ge together with other runners.

Charlie

• DCtoPgh Community Moderator 3,033 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    6. Feb 13, 2008 4:57 AM (in response to Jimmy_D_Jarhead)

"The more I run, the more I want to run, and the more I live a life

conditioned and influenced and fashioned by my running. And the more I

run, the more certain I am that I am heading for my real goal: to

become the person that I am". ~George Sheehan, M.D.

Sorry to cop out with a quote, but said it a lot better than I ever could have! 

I do today what you won't, so tomorrow I do what you can't.

My Blog | i2P

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,333 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    7. Feb 13, 2008 5:47 AM (in response to Jimmy_D_Jarhead)

I run because:

• I do enjoy it.  I curse the scheduling, the need for planning, the weather, but not the running.

• I run for my health, to keep my body in good shape.

• I run to eat, like Charlie.  I can pretty much eat what I want.  There's always a need to maintain a healthy diet, but other than that . . .

• Yep, Charlie, the competition is great.  I've never been fast, so I'm competing with myself and the clock.  My absolute PRs are probably all behind me, so I compete to see how well I can do on this day, these road and weather conditions, and the way I feel today, mentally and physically.

• The solitude is also good.  It's time for myself.

So - many of the same reasons others run.  They're more than adequate, and keep me out there.

Len

• FormerBAM We're Not Worthy 4,378 posts since
    Aug 21, 2007
    8. Feb 13, 2008 5:52 AM (in response to lenzlaw)

good question, Jimmy.

I haven't been running but it's because my kids, husband, and job won't let me find time.  Not because I don't want to.  I can't imagine ever quitting and just saying, That's it, it was fun while it lasted.  But I have to admit, I enjoy it a lot more when I'm not feeling the pressure of a marathon coming up and being unprepared. 

I run so I can eat anything I want, and for endurance, and to remind myself I'm not dead yet, and to push myself to do all I can, and because I can.

• HALOjen Legend 1,305 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    9. Feb 13, 2008 6:48 AM (in response to Jimmy_D_Jarhead)

I love that George Sheehan quote!

I started to run a couple of years ago as a way to deal with the overwhelming sadness I was feeling over losing my Mom.  My sister went on meds, one of my brothers turned to alcohol and the other one became super religious.  None of those options worked for me.  Funny how we all have our own way of working these things out.

Now, there are many more reasons that I run. 

1)  When I am running, I feel ALIVE!  Running makes me feel connected to my body and spirit. 

2) I run because it allows me to connect with other people.  My best friends are runners. These friendships extend way beyond the road and race course!

3) I like to feel strong. 

4) I like to cook and eat.

5) I like to watch the sunrise.

6) I am a goal oriented person.  So, I like to work to achieve.  Running is perfect for that!

7) I need some alone time so I can be the best wife and mother I can be.

8) Running is the best stress reliever.

9) I love to buy shoes

My career is pretty competitive.  I need a way to escape from the competitiveness.  I like to push myself in races, but I find that if I start getting super competitive that I don't enjoy it as much.

I will run for cupcakes!!

• cplmtz0121 We're Not Worthy 2,455 posts since
    Nov 1, 2007
    10. Feb 13, 2008 6:50 AM (in response to FormerBAM)

I run because I actually like it, it took me a while to realize this.

Because it keeps me from having to go on stupid diets.

Because like you said, it's amazing to see what the human body can do.  Specially when you think you can't run 3 miles and next thing you know you've been running for 10-15-20 miles at a time and still feel good afterwards.

Because it's my escape from things that are pi$$ing me off, from stupid people, from sickness, from pretty much everything.  I even use my time while running to pray, it's awesome.

Because I've also realized that it makes me happy and if I don't run I become an a$$hole...

Hard-charging motivating Devil Dog

• CityGirl08 Rookie 5 posts since
    Feb 12, 2008
    11. Feb 13, 2008 7:05 AM (in response to Jimmy_D_Jarhead)

I love this thread and reading why others run.

I run because it's a great stress reliever and because I always feel better when I am running, no matter what is going on.  I also run, because when I'm out and about on a beautiful day (like last Saturday, for those of us in the D.C. area) and I see other people running & looking so peaceful & free... well, I don't ever want to be that person again, who says, "I wish I could do that." 

By the way- happy belated birthday Jimmy!   We were born in the same month.  (Mine is next week... )  Can't say I'll be running 38 miles- maybe 3.8.  LOL

Happy Running everyone!

Susan

• staving off decrepitude Legend 1,193 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    12. Feb 13, 2008 9:06 AM (in response to CityGirl08)

Thanks for starting a great thread Jimmy.  I too get very cranky when I don't exercise, although the exercise doesn't have to be running. I also love biking and hiking.  Very nearly every run has at least a few moments of bliss in it, and occaisionally I get lucky and most of the run is bliss!  It feels good to run and feels good after the run. I like how people are impressed when they find out I run 5 miles, 10 miles, a marathon, or whatever they find out.  I have moments of connection with the universe when I run that are hard to find when I'm not running.  I like to be able to eat more than I would if I wasn't exercising (I can NEVER eat all I want though!)  I like feeling fit and healthy. I like having options other than driving to get places.  I like being able to chat with you folks.  Those are some of my reasons to run.  (Is this thread aimed at Sara by any chance?)

Chocolate is very nice.
  • fishmagic Amateur 29 posts since
    Oct 29, 2007
    14. Feb 13, 2008 12:14 PM (in response to Jimmy_D_Jarhead)

1.  My formative years involved running - school track team, the Marines.

2.  I never want to be in the postion that I have to say I can't do something, because I'm not in shape.

3.  I like to run.

4. And, I'm running the Boston Marathon in 10 weeks.

1 2 3 ... 10 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points