Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

23849 Views 62 Replies Latest reply: Jun 24, 2008 6:15 AM by AgeGrouper Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next
  • Grizdog Pro 177 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    45. Jul 10, 2006 9:37 AM (in response to FrenchiePKT)
    Re: Leg Shaving

A guy in our Tri club shaved his legs and now has decided to let the hair grow back.  He said it was a pain in the butt to maintain the clean shave look.  He claims he has never fallen off his bike or has not gained alot of time due to shaved legs.  As far as secret handshake goes, isn't that from grade school or something.

• kmarzano Rookie 5 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    46. Jul 12, 2006 8:22 PM (in response to FrenchiePKT)

I'm going to go against the grain and say go with waxing.  I've been doing it for over a year now and the hair grows back slower, finer, and thinner the longer I do it.  Your legs are also smooth, COMPLETELY smooth for at least a week before it starts growing back.  It's more of a hassle the first few times, but then it's well worth it.  I'm not going to lie to you, it's painful, but you get used to that after awhile too.  And I save tons of time not having to shave.

My suggestion, go to a salon.  I couldn't do it at home, but at the salon they do a better job and for some reason it seems less painful.

• helminger Amateur 17 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    47. Jul 14, 2006 1:00 PM (in response to FrenchiePKT)

i've been shaving now for about 1/2 the year. i like the feel and look and don't really care what others think. as far as etiquette is concerned - i think that's a non-issue. while i have yet to get in a wreck on my bike, hiking through thick areas in the mountains will tear up your legs. it's nice afterwards to rinse your smooth legs in a river or pond compared to hairy legs. i'm doing an ironman in 7 weeks, and after that's over, i'll still continue to shave. i think it becomes habitual.

• bobsamples Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    48. Jul 17, 2006 8:01 PM (in response to FrenchiePKT)

First off shaving your legs doesn't add or remove enough resistance to mater in an open water swim, so set all that malarkey aside.  What it does do is raise your adrenalin level because of the heightened sensitivity to all touch, especially water.  That is the true benefit.  Any one who has done it can relate to the amazing sensitivity gained at first exposure.

So a couple of pointers if you proceed.  First use a razor it removes dead skin too and increases sensitivity.  Second do it just before your race so the reaction is fresh.  Next shave anything not covered by a suit, but NOT your eyebrows, it will mess up your vision while swimming.  Head too if you have the courage.  Finally don't do it regularly or it looses the effect. 

This is a swimmers point of view as a former D-1 All American.  Good Luck and the other comments are right too, I met plenty of girls who loved the whole shaved down thing, so get some help from an experienced person with a razor it may save a cut or two.

• twan001 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    49. Nov 13, 2006 4:16 AM (in response to FrenchiePKT)

I shave my entire body except for my head. It is and awesome feeling when you rub your body up with your SO when hers is all shaved aswell. Is that weird?

• omabikeryder Legend 289 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    50. Nov 13, 2006 3:44 PM (in response to FrenchiePKT)

YES!

• bryswimmer Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    51. Nov 23, 2006 11:09 AM (in response to FrenchiePKT)

I have to say i think it is so sexy to see a triathlete or cyclist with a hairless in shape body!

• codiboy Rookie 5 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    52. Jan 7, 2007 11:43 AM (in response to FrenchiePKT)

Leg shaving has several advantages to any athelete besides

just looking good and feeling good:

- In land based sports such as cycling or running during

hot weather, the body cools itself by the evaporation of sweat. If your body is very hairy as is the case with your

testosterone infused male athlete types, a lot of sweat is

wicked away from the skin. If the evaporation takes place away from the skin, there is little to no cooling effect and the sweat just dehydrates you for nothing.

In a long race this might even mean the difference between finishing or not!

-If you partake of regular massages for the many benefits

it provides, a hairless surface makes for a very fluid and

painless massage. ( There is little pain when oil is used

any way. Less oil is needed to obtain the other effect when its time to wash off)

- When swimming there is a reduction of drag when hair is not present. Due to the low vicosity of air this is not really a concern to cyclists or runners as any effect would be too small to make the effort worthwhile.

- As cited by most cyclists cleaning up scrapes and pulling bandages of goes much better without hair though

its not likely to prevent infections.

- If the game takes you through the woods or brush you might not see the ticks you pick up with a fur coat on.

- Did I mention that it looks good! Many women really like

a guy with a full body shave because it looks cleaner and

adds definition. Those who initially react adversely (some think of Mr Biggles)gradually warm up to the look and feel as the initial strangeness of it wears off.

There have actually been studies to back me up on this.

• Andy10 Rookie 18 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    53. Dec 16, 2007 9:59 AM (in response to codiboy)

I've been shaving legs for 15 years now. Don't have to be all fancy with razor's etc.....I don't even use gel, hot water from the shower and one of my wife's pink daisy razors and in two minutes I'm done.  I personally like the look and as a personal trainer I like to see the muscle definition. I'm secure enough in my manhood that comments don't bother me. In fact the majority of comments are way more positive!

• niemsco Legend 189 posts since
    Sep 24, 2007
    54. Dec 17, 2007 6:12 PM (in response to FrenchiePKT)

Is it necessary?  Absolutely not.  Do I do it?.... of course, and there is only one good reason.  So you don't look like a newbie!    Have fun...

• dale rie Rookie 5 posts since
    Sep 26, 2007
    55. Dec 20, 2007 12:55 AM (in response to niemsco)

can anyone help me out!!!  i just shaved my legs for the first time 2 days ago and now they are itching like crazy and it is driving me insane!  moisturizers dont work and there are some areas of little red bumps.  any suggestions?  i have also heard that this will go away the more you shave, is that true?

• Alex Septien Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 22, 2007
    56. Dec 22, 2007 6:47 AM (in response to FrenchiePKT)

An added value... if you use a COMPEX, shaved legs help ! You will be able to use your stickies more time.

• thorogood Amateur 17 posts since
    Feb 7, 2008
    57. Feb 10, 2008 6:11 PM (in response to FrenchiePKT)
    Leg Shaving

Let's face it.  We men shave  our legs because it makes it our legs look better.  Why on earth would we train so hard and then have a bunch of hair conceal all that wonderful definition?  I think after awhile ti just becomes a part of the routine.

• AgeGrouper Rookie 7 posts since
    Jul 6, 2007
    58. Feb 14, 2008 12:12 PM (in response to FrenchiePKT)

This is the best explanation of leg shaving I've ever seen!

http://www.fatcyclist.com/2005/08/08/why-do-cyclists-shave-their-legs-warning-disturbing-images-ahead/

• mkayo1976 Amateur 7 posts since
    Jan 20, 2008
    59. Feb 16, 2008 8:44 PM (in response to FrenchiePKT)

I swam competitively through jr high & high school so seeing a shaved guy is nothing new.  If you're not sure how to go about shaving, just do what the guys my team did and ask a girl for help.  We'll probably laugh at you, but then we'll take pity.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...