NEED HELP?|

3131 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Jun 30, 2007 12:07 PM by pgmanski
seamusandjim Rookie 7 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 18, 2007 11:33 AM

Knees and Running

hi

fell out of many years of running for about 3 years and now that i'm trying to get back into it, i find that any pace that goes above a fast walk, my knee starts to hurt and i have to stop so i don't make it worse. i probably gained 15 lbs in my absence, but i'm still young (33) and i was curious if anyone had any advice?? i assume i need to begin to re-strengthen it but don't know if i should use stretching, free weights, etc...

any words would be appreciated.

• MizzFitt Rookie 6 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Apr 21, 2007 8:15 AM (in response to seamusandjim)
    Re: Knees and Running

Hi! I'm a 54 year old Personal Trainer, Fitness Instructor, runner and figure skater, so you can bet that I am very interested and involved in joint care. I'd recommend the following: drop the extra weight. Think of how you would feel if you picked up a 10 or 15-lb. sack of potatoes and tried to run a few miles with it - this is what you're asking your lower body to perform with, without strengthening it for the additional load. So maybe you had better look at your diet and make an effort to lose the weight (healthily of course). Secondly, a resounding 'YES' to your question regarding strengthening and stretching! If done properly and safely, you can build up the muscles surrounding the knee so that you can enjoy many years of painfree running. I'd recommend that you hire a personal trainer, for at least a few sessions, to get you started with some safe, effective exercises like squats, lunges (both of these can actually strain the knee if done improperly), leg curls and leg extensions. And finally, a crucial element to maintaining healthy knees and musculature in general is stretching. This should be done ONLY when the muscles are warmed up and always carefully. Pulses and over-stretching are always dangerous as they can tear muscles. Again, a trainer can instruct you on proper technique. Keep in mind that the kness and shoulders are joints, not muscles. They are held together with a web of joining muscles, but are fairly unstable and almost delicate. If you build the supporting muscles and keep them flexible, they'll stay in good working order. If you leave them weak and tight, they'll eventually give out on you.

As with all of this stuff, definitely see a doctor if you suspect an injury or anything else weird.

• pcsparks Rookie 7 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Apr 22, 2007 2:17 PM (in response to seamusandjim)

you might want to try this site.  some friends of mine have tried the product and say it works well for the joints.

http://www.performanceandnutrition.com/ProductInfoproductid71.html

• luv2run Rookie 6 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    4. May 20, 2007 6:21 AM (in response to seamusandjim)

Hi seamusandjim

When I started running last Oct I felt a lot of knee pain as well (I have had multiple surgeries in the past). I slowed way down and ran for very short periods with long walking breaks ( 1 min. run w 4 min. walk). I also started watching the weight. Now, 54 pounds lighter I am still slow but little to no knee pain and in training for my first 1/2 marathon. I found my key things to learn were: go slow and steady, lose the weight, have the mental attitude that it is ok if others are in front of you, have fun. I am still slow but no longer the slowest and I am still having a great time at 49 with my eyes on my first marathon. Good luck, you are moving in the right direction, forward.

• pgmanski Amateur 35 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    5. Jun 30, 2007 12:07 PM (in response to seamusandjim)

I would begin a weight loss plan. Then I would examine your shoes, are they correct fit, type of shoe, are they old worn out etc? Good running shoes that are right for YOU are very important.

A strength/conditioning program for the entire body including legs is important. Begin slow with light weights to avoid injury.

Have you considered pool running or swimming? One important thing- Pain is a sign and needs to be respected.

You need to find out why you are hurting? Also the surface you run on is important. Concrete is unforgiving, can you find grass or trails, sand etc?

Finally a nutritional component: Increase your veggie and fruit intake. Try to include a lot of salmon and fish as your protein source. You may want to try a fish oil supplement with chondroiten and glucosamine also Sam-E.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...