Skip navigation

3139 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Jun 30, 2007 6:29 AM by Jay Silvio RSS
cutewithoutthee Amateur 12 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 26, 2007 10:53 AM

Revealing a six-pack

I am a slim, toned, athletic guy who works out three times per week.  I'm muscular, not in a bodybuilder way, but more the size of...say an Abercrombie and Fitch model.

My weakness is my abs.  I have great, strong abs and I can feel a really great six-pack stomach, the problem is my bodyfat percentage around my waist is higher than the rest of me - because of this my good abs are only about 30% visible.  I eat well and dont drink alcohol much.  My problem is that I rarely do cardio.  Infact I have not done regular cardio since around 1998!

For the past few weeks I have started running twice a week for ten minutes but I havent lost anything.  What can I do to redeem this and make my abs visible?

• Beerpace Pro 157 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Jun 27, 2007 4:46 AM (in response to cutewithoutthee)
    Re: Revealing a six-pack

Running twice a week for ten minutes each is frankly...diddlysquat. A solid 25 minutes 3 times a week is probably a minimum. That being said, what purpose is a sixpack? (other than for drinking). If you are strong in your core and not flabby or fat, you should be ok. Few if any people have a sixpack all the time, usually they diet down for photos or for body building contests. Maintaining a continuos sixpack for most people is tough. But if that's what you want, try more cardio, maybe re-think your diet as well. Good luck.

• helen82 Pro 171 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Jun 27, 2007 7:37 AM (in response to cutewithoutthee)

Is it for looks, or to increase your athletic performance? Persoanlly, I think 6-packs are kind of gross (but that's just me).

If you want a stronger core, why not try pilates? It's supposed to be good for runners. And I agree with beerpace. Increase your running.

• yo-sal Pro 260 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. Jun 27, 2007 8:24 PM (in response to cutewithoutthee)

how do you know your abs are only about thirty percent visible? just wondering...  I think mine are about negative 30 percent visible. They're in there somewhere. Maybe they got sent down the same shaft as my brains when i gave birth.

yeah, you need to run more. Run til you can't run any more, and then consider yourself half done. That's a Mohammed Ali training practice technique. Then you'll burn that fat.

Also, stay away from trans fats. Studies with monkeys showed that those that were fed trans fats had a higher precentage of fat in the abdominal area than other monkeys that were fed monounsaturated fats, which is olive oil.

• Beerpace Pro 157 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    4. Jun 28, 2007 3:51 AM (in response to cutewithoutthee)

Visions of monkeys with six pack abs dancing thru my head...Did the fat monkeys have a pot belly and a cigarette in their hand? Sorry, it's early for me..

• carospi Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    5. Jun 28, 2007 10:32 AM (in response to cutewithoutthee)

OH my gosh!! I have to reply to this because I love monkeys and I totally got the same image in my head!! Except my monkeys were drinking beer!!!

• 22legs Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    6. Jun 28, 2007 8:23 PM (in response to cutewithoutthee)

I have the same problem.  I do run more (10 to 18 miles per week). Weight training, core work, plyometrics.  I eat perfectly at least 5 days per week (lean proteins, veggies and fruit, and 1 complex carb per day).  I live a bit on the weekends (eat out, drinks) I maybe have a three pack and a line down the middle of my stomach in the morning.  My bodyfat percentage in my arms and legs must be about 8% to my 18% in my stomach.  A bit tougher for chicks.  If we didn't do any of that where would we be. Genetics!  Get to where you are comfortable and maintain or make small strides to improve.  Drastic measures will drive you nuts in the end.  Good Luck.

• helen82 Pro 171 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    7. Jun 28, 2007 8:34 PM (in response to cutewithoutthee)

Don't we all have better things to worry about than whether we display a 6-pack, 3-pack or no-pack? Come on, look at the world around you. Is it worth all the stress and worry?

• smo5246 Legend 204 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    8. Jun 29, 2007 4:04 PM (in response to cutewithoutthee)

I agree with Beerpace (nice long on!).  I have a lot of marathon runner friends and they all are thin, have flat stomachs and use a six pack for fuel.  They also weight train.  So, as long as bulk is not your desire, the answer is simple, keep up the lifting and also run, run, run.  I have some shoulder and elbow tendonitis, so my weight lifting is limited.  However, I run 30 to 40 miles a week and have no gut, despite my propensity toward good microbrews and a bottomless pit that I continuously stuff with good food.  Prior to running (30 years ago), I had a gut.  Running really works.  Good luck.

• Jay Silvio We're Not Worthy 1,775 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    9. Jun 30, 2007 6:29 AM (in response to cutewithoutthee)

To the op and 22legs: 20 minutes equals a decent warm up and 10-18 miles is a nice long run.  These should not be your weekly totals.  Also, what sort of ab work are you doing?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...