Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

7705 Views 74 Replies Latest reply: Feb 22, 2008 11:22 AM by Ribbie RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next
  • robintravers Legend 370 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    60. Oct 27, 2007 9:34 AM (in response to Tamalina)
    Re: What was your first marathon?

My first marathon was the 2005 Cape Cod Marathon.  I had just started running 6 months earlier.  I ran my first 1/2 marathon race 1 month prior to the marathon, and plugged the numbers into the McMillan pace calculator.  It spit out that I should be able to pull off a 3:49:59 marathon.  This blew my mind, because I needed a 3:50 to BQ, and it never occurred to me that I could do that...

So, on race day, I was determined to give it a shot. I set out at a pace that, if I could sustain it, would get me in just in time to BQ. It was a gorgeous day, and I came in at 3:49:30.

I chose the Cape Cod Marathon because it was fairly local, and it was a small-ish (2500), but well-supported race. I still had a 1-year-old at home, and I wanted to make sure that the logistics of my first race were going to be smooth. I took a bus to Falmouth the night before the race (I remember it snowed!) and slept well in a hotel room, without baby-waking or snoring husband to disturb me! It was terrific. I woke to a beautiful day, ran my race, and my DH and DS met me at the half-way point and the finish.

It was great to run a smallish race for my first because DH and DS could get around the course fairly easily to see me. I loved this race!

--Robin

• huskydon Legend 313 posts since
    Oct 19, 2007
    61. Oct 27, 2007 10:12 AM (in response to Tamalina)

My first marathon was the Western Hemisphere Marathon (Culver City, CA) in 1978.  (The marathon, no longer in existence, at one time was the longest running marathon on the west coast).  The race was a mile or two from where I lived.  I think the entry fee was five dollars.

This was back when I was young and foolish (now I am old and foolish).  My training was pretty weak.  I had a 20 mile run the week before and maybe two or three runs over ten miles.  I ran about 25 miles a week.  I finished in 4:11:15, my personal best of my two marathons (the following year I ran in the Santa Monica marathon, which is also no longer in existence).  It is interesting that my time placed me 424 out of 448 overall.  They turned off the clock after 4:30.

• actonrunner Rookie 68 posts since
    Dec 30, 2002
    62. Oct 27, 2007 10:38 AM (in response to Tamalina)

Marine Corps, 1988.
    I chose it because ...
    1) I was in the military, and they covered my entry fees and gave me 2 extra days off to travel. Since it was within driving distance, that was fine for me.
    2) It was a flat, fast course, and I needed to break 3:00 to qualify for Boston at the time. I did actually make the qualifying time. It was a much less crowded race at the time, with somewhere around 10 thousand runners or so.
    3) I thought it would be fun to run through Washington DC

• littlerockgm Pro 141 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    63. Oct 27, 2007 10:39 AM (in response to Tamalina)

Hey Tammy, neat thread.  Our first marathon was going to be Disney 04  We usually vacation at WDW and Vicki saw a rather large woman with a marathon medal about her neck on our plane as we came back in 02.  She proceeded to announce that if that woman could do it we could do it and got us signed up for the half marathon the next year and the marathon in 04. 

The WDW marathon has a time limit, as many do, and Vicki (who is a walker, fast walker but a walker) wanted to verify that she could do the course in the required time or better. So in Nov 03 we did our first marathon at the MidSouth Marathon in Wynne AR., about 100 mile east of us. This in preparation for our first big marathon, at WDW in Jan 04.

Tammy, as I have said on this thread many times before, you can do many marathons in your life but you only do your first marathon once. Enjoy the whole experience.

Good running Tammy,

Vicki and Jim

• Tramps031 Legend 735 posts since
    Oct 31, 2006
    64. Oct 27, 2007 11:01 AM (in response to Tamalina)

quote:

Originally posted by vista129:

How I do will determine whether I consider Tramps a blessing or a curse...

Uh oh. I had no idea this was my fault. Sorry.

Got sucked into even thinking about running a marathon by spending way too much time browsing this board. Chose Richmond last year because:
    1. it was nearby and affordable (no hotel or travel costs; easy logistics)
    2. I lived there for 10 years and was familiar with the course, which goes a block from my old office, a block from my old apartment, and three or four blocks from my old house. (I ran the 1/2 back in 1997...and they promptly eliminated that event.)
    3. I've heard only nice things about Ricmond Marathon. Mid-size race, good organization and support, nice varied course, etc.--all of which turned out to be true.

I'll be back this year for pretty much the same reasons.

• Tetsujin30 Legend 945 posts since
    Jan 1, 2006
    65. Dec 26, 2007 11:01 PM (in response to Tamalina)

tammy - see what I said about not training too much.      !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|border=0!

skip - '76 (

50 miles

!) - sort of on a whim with almost no training
    tet - '77 - weekend fun runs
    huskydon - '78 - My training was pretty weak.
    tet - '78 - three training runs (3.5 hours)
    dAAve - '79.- 3:48 off my 9th grade 800m training...
    auburn - '82 - I did it on a dare / finished despite not having run over three miles
    nordic (2:35!) - '83 - didn't know any better. PR'd at 10k two weeks earlier
    runwun - '84 - I did it just to get into shape
    tomd - '86 - on a dare from a friend
    mc - '86 - my training wasn't anything spectacular, just ran it for fun
    glide - '95 - Longest training run consisted of 7 miles.
    ==================
    mark - I wouldn't bet against me either.

[http://This message has been edited by Tetsujin30 (edited Oct-28-2007).|http://This message has been edited by Tetsujin30 (edited Oct-28-2007).]

• hup027 Pro 258 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    66. Oct 28, 2007 9:05 AM (in response to Tamalina)

It's fun reading this thread  !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!

Tammy - I think that you're making a good choice with Eugene. That great running tradition plus the crowd will definitely do you well in your debut.

I ran relatively local for my first. It was San Francisco in July 1996. SF is my favorite city and Mrs hup was born there, so when I chose a marathon it was logical. (side note - our oldest daughter is a senior at USF and she lives across the street from the hospital where Mrs hup was born !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!)
    I had been running for 6+ years when I decided that it might be fun to try a marathon.  I didn't actually know anyone who had run a marathon, so I bought a book and did whatever it said to do.  I didn't know about GU or Powerbars or anything like that.  During the race, I had no clue on pacing or anything.  I just started out at a pace that I thought I might be able to maintain for about 4 hours.  Suffice to say, my perception was poor, and the last 5 miles or so hurt pretty bad.  I cried when I saw Mrs hup as I rounded the last turn to head into Kezar Stadium.  You'll experience that same sort of emotion .... there's nothing like it.

If I can add, 3 years later my hometown had a marathon and that was my PR and perhaps my best marathon run so far. Sleeping and eating at home and driving 20 minutes to the start as well as running the streets of my childhood yielded a PR that I'm still shooting for. As I came down the final stretch in that one Mrs hup was screaming "You're going to do it ... you're going to Boston!!!". I cried then, too. What can I say, I guess I'm just a crier !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!
    Thanks for letting me relive those, Boomers. I'm going out for a run.

Godspeed, Tamster.

hup

• divechief Legend 359 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    67. Oct 28, 2007 6:18 PM (in response to Tamalina)

for my first couple years of running,  I only ran races when I could walk to the start.  The Seattle Marathon starts just a few blocks from my house so that was my First, and second marathon (thought I DNF'ed on the second attempt.)

The first one I traveled for was a BQ attempt at CIM (Sacramento) Since my parents live about 1/4 mile from the start it was still almost a local marathon.

next was Boston.

This year,  I have run a different state almost every month.  It becomes almost more about the travel than the races.

• seemomgo Pro 164 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    68. Oct 28, 2007 6:40 PM (in response to Tamalina)

Late to the party as always...
    Denver marathon was my first.  I ran that one because I wanted to do my first marathon at home!  It was a blast!

• Kanaka Amateur 18 posts since
    Jun 19, 2003
    69. Oct 28, 2007 9:17 PM (in response to Tamalina)

Kind of a "local" for me, the Honolulu in 2003, I lived on Oahu for 24 years (1967-91) and always wanted to do it, finally got it together that year. This year I'll run it for the 5th and most likely last time. My 5th Honolulu on my 50th year of life in the 50th state...too much "Karma" going on there to pas it bye! <grin> Hopefully I wont finish 50th from the last!

I figgured like most posters here, local was best, besides if you have to die running a marathon, what better place to do it? And did I mention that should you DNF it you could crawl off the course at many a spot to a little grass hutch/bar, plant your face in a big pineapple mai-tai and "rehydrate" to your hearts content (uh, figuratively speaking there!)?

Anyone else going this year? See you at the finishline....wait up, I'll get there! LOL!

aloha,
    Rick

----

"Run long... and taper."

http://interwovendesign.com/kick/userdisplay.php3?username=Kanaka

My User Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

• mlv068 Amateur 52 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    70. Oct 29, 2007 5:41 AM (in response to Tamalina)

My first marathon was the Grizzly Marathon, outside of Choteau,Montana....2006....
    What an adventure >>>>>!!!!!

MaryLou

----

www.crosstimberscustomrods.com[/URL" target="_blank">

• Coastwalker Legend 384 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    71. Oct 29, 2007 7:30 AM (in response to Tamalina)

Just for the heck of it, even though I had never raced further than 10K, I entered the lottery to be a non-qualified entrant in the 1996 Boston Marathon. In it's 100th anniversary year, for the first and only time, a certain number of non-quals would be chosen by the lottery to enter the race. Obviously, they didn't know what they were doing, because they chose me! Fortunately, I had plenty of time to train, and got to where I had put in several 20+ mile runs, so I was incredibly nervous, but ready on race day.

Some of you may remember that '96 was the year that there was a huge snowstorm on the day before the race. Race day, however, was sunny and mild, and the roads were in great shape by race time. My big learning that day was that downhills can kill you (the first 6 or so miles are a gentle downhill which, if you haven't trained for them, will turn your quads to rocks, as mine did), and that running a marathon is an awesome and overwhelming experience. When I got fatigued and slowed to a walk at about mile 22, someone ran on to the road, put his arm around my shoulder, and said, "You've come this far - you can do this!!!" He disappeared just as quickly, and I ran the rest of the way in. I had tears in my eyes when I crossed the finish line. It was just a magical day.

After that, I ran NYC (my 'home' marathon, since I lived in NJ back then), three times, in '97, 2000, and 2001. Since then, I've done about a dozen or so half marathons. As a racewalker now, I enjoy racing half marathons. But I am so wiped out at the end of a half that, frankly, the idea of going 26.2 scares me.

Jay

• CarboDiem Rookie 14 posts since
    Jan 25, 2005
    72. Jan 23, 2008 6:04 PM (in response to Tamalina)

Sacramento 1980 was my first. I ran in HS and wanted to try something longer.  The first race I registered for got cancelled - something in the Bay area, forget what.  Second one I could not go to because my mom blew up my car!  Sacramento was next available so I ran it.  Think it was two loops of 13 mi each.  I took it easy and finished strong.  I wonder how fast I could have gone with some decent education and training, probably about 45 min faster.  Anyway it was local which is why I did it.  Lately I did Toronto, Green Mountain, Clarence DeMar, Boston.  I tried to do one in Seattle this summer but got a stress fracture so went to the Boeing factory which was cool.  Kids designed their own airplanes on the computer.  A cop was blocking traffic at our hotel for the race when we drove out to see the airplane factory!  I wanted to cry but got over it.  Pick someplace that has cool things for the family to do if you travel with them to a race.

• JPGarland Legend 776 posts since
    Dec 7, 2007
    73. Jan 24, 2008 6:10 AM (in response to CarboDiem)

This is an old thread and I may have already responded, but I'm happy to keep it going.

My first: New York, 1983.  Pouring rain.  Rod Dixon won, passing Geoff Smith right at 26 miles.  I stopped on Central Park West, in the final mile.  But held it together and finished.

Interesting stat.  I passed Grete at 19, but she passed me back at 24.  She ran the final 2.21875 miles 2:13 faster than I did.

• Ribbie Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 21, 2007
    74. Feb 22, 2008 11:22 AM (in response to Tamalina)

My first marathon was the 1995 Disney World Marathon.  I had been running for a while and had thought about doing a marathon.  I registered shortly after hearing about the first Disney marathon (in 94).  Living in Tampa it was also the closest marathon to choose from.

I really slacked on my running and didn’t start doing any training until mid October (race was the first week of January).  I still managed to finish in a respectable 4:04 (clock time, they didn’t have chips then). I have run 6 more marathons after that. The last one was this January (another Disney)

1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...