Skip navigation

35607 Views 138 Replies Latest reply: Sep 16, 2009 4:48 PM by dutch omi RSS Go to original post 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 Previous Next
  • FormerBAM We're Not Worthy 4,378 posts since
    Aug 21, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    60. Feb 22, 2008 12:43 PM (in response to dutch omi)
    Re: Why do you still run?

That's what I was thinking... Darn, my time's about up!  I'm wanting to look reasonably good until at least 75.  After that, my husband will just have to settle for not-too-nauseating

• Myblueeyedgurl Community Moderator 3,358 posts since
    Nov 19, 2007
    61. Feb 22, 2008 12:49 PM (in response to FormerBAM)

Nita I don't think you are in ANY danger of falling into the nauseating category any time soon!

"You won?t lag behind, because you?ll have the speed. You?ll pass the whole gang and you?ll soon take the lead. Wherever you fly, you?ll be the best of the best. Wherever you go, you will top all the rest. " - - Dr. Seuss
    Aug 21, 2007
    62. Feb 22, 2008 1:21 PM (in response to Myblueeyedgurl)

Aww, thanks, Holly!  You're too sweet

Of course by the time 75 gets here.. hopefully his eyesight will be gone anyway!

• dutch omi We're Not Worthy 5,642 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    63. Feb 22, 2008 1:29 PM (in response to FormerBAM)

And if his eye sight is gone, take his glasses away.  There is hope.

• RUNCRYSTAL Pro 93 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    64. Feb 22, 2008 1:42 PM (in response to Jimmy_D_Jarhead)

Well,  I started to run because I love to be outside during the summertime.  I started seriously running in May 2007 and have not stopped.  Running has been a positive change in my life.  Here are the reasons why I continue to run:

1) Always challenges me

2) Gives me an excellent, fulfilling workout

3) Toned my body and now I am in the best shape of my life

4) Builds confidence

5) Its true, you can eat what you want

6) Continue to meet wonderful people, including my significant other

7) Love to be outdoors

I am running my first marathon this year and I just can't wait to start training.

Happy Running!:x

Don't cry because its over.  Smile because it happened.
    Aug 21, 2007
    65. Feb 22, 2008 1:50 PM (in response to RUNCRYSTAL)

Cool, Crystal!  I ran my first marathon last year and it was life-changing.  Training for my second now.  Best of luck to you!

• Courir26 We're Not Worthy 1,968 posts since
    Feb 4, 2008
    66. Feb 22, 2008 2:02 PM (in response to RUNCRYSTAL)

Hi Crystal. I wish I agreed with # 5, at least for myself, I have to keep an eye on what I eat to stay at the weight I want. I still don't keep some of my favorite foods around - I thought about listing them, but I think I'd just bum myself out. Which marathon will be your first?

• frauminer Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 22, 2008
    67. Feb 22, 2008 3:20 PM (in response to Jimmy_D_Jarhead)

I started running as a teenager for the benefits of staying thin.  Over the years it's become much more than that to me.  I love to challenge myself to do something I didn't think I could do.  I love to enjoy the beauty of the world as I'm out training or running races.  I love seeing the sun rise over the mountains; knowing that if I were in bed I would have missed some of the magic of the day.  And now I run, as one reply mentioned, because I can.  I have a friend with MS.  She moves around in a wheelchair.  I am grateful I can run, hike, walk, bike and do any of the many things I used to take for granted before I met her.  And you know that runners high?  It feels great to actually finish a 10k or any hard work out.  I'm looking forward to a 1/2 marathon in April. 

Thanks for all the interesting posts to this thread.

Melanie

• MCM Ron Legend 1,916 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    69. Feb 22, 2008 9:19 PM (in response to Jimmy_D_Jarhead)

I run because I'm hungry to devour 10 miles on Sunday!!!

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.  (from my ice tea lid)

• Keep Running Pro 75 posts since
    Feb 21, 2008
    70. Feb 22, 2008 9:58 PM (in response to Jimmy_D_Jarhead)

I agree with your last post Jimmy.  Running is almost a form of meditation.  Running for me is part of who I am now.  I love where running has taken me and the people I have met and continue to meet.  I thought it was great even seeing that movie, "Spirit of the Marathon," and all the runners that were there.  It smelled like icyhot and the conversations around the theater were about times, PR's, mileage, running goals, and so on.  I think at one time in my life I would have thought these people need to be a little more rounded in their life, but I have fallen prey.  I am a runner and I'm proud of it.  I love the way it pushes me, the way it is honest with me, how I can call on it when I'm going threw a hard time, and even how I can count on it when I am feeling great and having a great day.  It's come to a point in my life where it is almost a spiritual experience to run and to push the limits of the human body.  I've learned a lot of life lessons from running and it has made me a better person and I refuse to let something like that go when it has done so much for me.  I have a quote as well for this, I'm not even sure who said it, I saw it on the back of a T-shirt and thought it was cool.  " I do today what you won't, so tomorrow I do what you can't."

• DCtoPgh Community Moderator 3,033 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    72. Feb 23, 2008 6:06 AM (in response to Keep Running)

Keep Running wrote:

I agree with your last post Jimmy.  Running is almost a form of meditation.  Running for me is part of who I am now.  I love where running has taken me and the people I have met and continue to meet.  I thought it was great even seeing that movie, "Spirit of the Marathon," and all the runners that were there.  It smelled like icyhot and the conversations around the theater were about times, PR's, mileage, running goals, and so on.  I think at one time in my life I would have thought these people need to be a little more rounded in their life, but I have fallen prey.  I am a runner and I'm proud of it.  I love the way it pushes me, the way it is honest with me, how I can call on it when I'm going threw a hard time, and even how I can count on it when I am feeling great and having a great day.  It's come to a point in my life where it is almost a spiritual experience to run and to push the limits of the human body.  I've learned a lot of life lessons from running and it has made me a better person and I refuse to let something like that go when it has done so much for me.  I have a quote as well for this, I'm not even sure who said it, I saw it on the back of a T-shirt and thought it was cool.  " I do today what you won't, so tomorrow I do what you can't."

I love this!! Thanks for sharing!!

I do today what you won't, so tomorrow I do what you can't.

My Blog | i2P

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,265 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    73. Feb 23, 2008 6:06 AM (in response to Jimmy_D_Jarhead)

Yeah, it reminds me of the great running days when everything goes right, and then the lousy days when you have to, as the song says," . . .  pick yourself up, dust yourself off, start all over again . . ."  That challenge of getting the great days is also part of why I run.

Len

• jsbicondova@aol.com Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 25, 2007
    74. Feb 23, 2008 7:44 AM (in response to MCM Ron)

ron i couldn't have said it better myself.  i love it and to set a good example for my son and the rest of my family.

everybody elses answers are true as well. whether i am training in the ocean or pool, maybe doing some mountain bike

riding, i have found that nothing gives me the satisfaction or clears my mind like doing a hour and a half

in the mountains around my home. my parents instilled physical fitness and clean living into my brother and i when

we were children. i want to do the same for mine. god bless those who fight for it.

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points