Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

7663 Views 12 Replies Latest reply: Mar 21, 2008 12:07 PM by slowcrazyrunningfool RSS
slowcrazyrunningfool Amateur 13 posts since
Sep 29, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 24, 2008 8:50 AM

Missed my last long run

I had a 20 miler - my last long run until the marathon, which is 3 weeks away - scheduled for today, but I've come down with some sort of cold bug and not wanting to chip away at my immune system further (I ended up with walking pnemonia after my last marathon!) I've decided to instead spend the day resting.

I don't have any time to do another long run until next Saturday, which should be the beginning of my taper.  If I do a REALLY slow 20 miles next week, will this be benificial?  I did do a slow 20 miler about 2 weeks ago.

• Jay Silvio We're Not Worthy 1,775 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Feb 24, 2008 11:22 AM (in response to slowcrazyrunningfool)
    Re: Missed my last long run

Hello and welcome to active.com!  Given that your marathon is in only three weeks it is best not to try and add another long run at this late date.  I know that it's frustrating to miss a workout, but it's just one out of many that I'm sure you have on your schedule.  The benefits of a long run at this point would be primarily psychological and would be far outweighed by the potential risk of not being fully recovered for your race.  Go ahead and start your taper and focus on the few remaining tempo/speed sessions you still have left.

Good luck!

Jay

ps - Which marathon will you be running?

• NeilrAdams Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 26, 2007
    3. Feb 26, 2008 10:40 PM (in response to slowcrazyrunningfool)

I like to sit in the sauna when I feel a little cold coming in, but not to long just long enough to clean your cold pores. Resting is never overrated when trainging for a marathon. Good luck whith your race.

• DaveVause Community Moderator 1,447 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    4. Feb 27, 2008 2:23 AM (in response to slowcrazyrunningfool)

Jay and I seldom disagree.  But this time......

I'd do the 20 miler 2 weekends out.  That week, I'd cut my miles by one third.  The weekend before the marathon, I'd do 7 miles as the "long" run.  The final week I'd cut back my training miles by two thirds.

Jul 9, 2007
    5. Feb 27, 2008 5:54 AM (in response to DaveVause)

I guess it would depend on how many 20 milers you have already put in.

Jul 9, 2007
    6. Feb 27, 2008 6:19 AM (in response to Jay Silvio)

Agreed.

I was presuming a beginning plan that often has only one run at 20 or so miles.  That last long run is a very important confidence builder.  If, on the other hand, this is your 3rd or 4th marathon and you've done lots of training runs over 17 miles, missing that last long run is pretty meaningless.

Jul 9, 2007
    8. Mar 19, 2008 8:03 AM (in response to slowcrazyrunningfool)

Way to go!  What's the next marathon on your schedule?

On a side note, it is doubtful that training beyond 3 hours provides much additional physical benefit, but it might be worthwhile for the psychological advantages.

Jul 9, 2007
    9. Mar 19, 2008 9:34 AM (in response to slowcrazyrunningfool)

Congrats on your Shamrock.  Glad your last long run went well.  Another so soon?  You're going to get good at this!  You'll find that your times will drop even if you don't push it and do any kind of tempo or repetition work.

My 21-milers usually take me about 3.5 hours.  I believe that I'm benefiting from them insofar as they are getting much easier to finish.  18 months ago, I was pretty "destructed" after them.  Now, I get it done, then go about my day pretty much as if I'd taken the day off.

I believe Galloway has over-distance runs in his training program.

Jul 9, 2007
    11. Mar 19, 2008 4:18 PM (in response to slowcrazyrunningfool)
    Gretchen Liechty Lynch wrote:

Next Marathon is.....

Frederick! 

You running it?

Absolutely!  I'm doing the full Maryland Double (Frederick in the spring and Baltimore in the fall).  Dave is thinking about it but he'd better get a move on because it might fill up fairly soon.  I hope I'll see you there!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...